Analysis: Dunkin Donuts Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Bagel Sandwich - AnabolicMinds.com

Analysis: Dunkin Donuts Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Bagel Sandwich

1. New Member

Analysis: Dunkin Donuts Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Bagel Sandwich

So, one of my favorite things to do (or used to, anyway) was to wake-up in the morning, go right to Dunkin' Donuts, and get a large coffee and a bagel sandwich. Now that I've put myself on a diet, that is a big no-no.

I'm trying to see, however, if there is a way to make this work, lol, so, using a spread-sheet, I calculated the calories for the fittest meal I could think of:

Low-carb Bagel, w/ Bacon, Egg, Cheese
    Large coffee w/Splenda and a dash of cream

Breakdown: Carbs, 52g; Protein 31g; Fat 30g
    Total Cals: ~600 cal

Now, since I'm trying out a 1800 cal diet, this is the equivalent of 2 of my 6 daily meals, with high-carb content. If I were to, then, decrease my carb-load substantially during the rest of the day (no carbs or veggies w/each meal) across my 4 remaining meals, I could make the breakdown work.

What could be the problems with this approach? Here are my thoughts:

- High saturated fat content
    - Type of carbs may make GI of meal high

The latter is probably offset by the protein/fat content (coupled with Sesamin and Fish Oil supplement I would take along with it). The former, I'm not so sure what to do about it.

What do you think? Would this be something @ all possible to incorporate into a diet?

2. New Member

quit being a fat ass and eat better.. your body will thank you
  3. New Member

Hey Doug...thanks for the constructive comment! I'm sure your 70 other posts here, over the 3-month lifetime of your membership, were just as valuable as this one.

Perhaps, if you had at least an elementary school education in reading, you'd have noticed I'd said I'd already cut it out of my diet.

Please let me know if you have any more problems with comprehension!
    •   

4. New Member

I believe that one should not deprive themselves of "cheat" foods altogether. I would try this maybe once or twice a week, if the rest of your diet is good there should not be a problem. Might be good post work out with a protein shake.
  5. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by C0rk View Post
    Hey Doug...thanks for the constructive comment! I'm sure your 70 other posts here, over the 3-month lifetime of your membership, were just as valuable as this one.

Perhaps, if you had at least an elementary school education in reading, you'd have noticed I'd said I'd already cut it out of my diet.

Please let me know if you have any more problems with comprehension!
    As long as you are eating below maintenance level calories, it shouldn't matter. You may be more hungry later on though. If I were you, I'd fill up on low calorie vegetables as much as possible to fill the empty void in your stomach.

1800 calories looks awful low. If you're not a small guy, you'll most likely lose muscle going that low.
  6. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dane View Post
    I believe that one should not deprive themselves of "cheat" foods altogether. I would try this maybe once or twice a week, if the rest of your diet is good there should not be a problem. Might be good post work out with a protein shake.
    Yeah, I certainly wouldn't plan on doing this daily...I was just trying to figure out the best way to minimize the adverse effects of eating it.

PWO is a good idea...if you are going to spike your insulin more than usual, its better to do it after lifting so your body can go into rebuild/storage mode. That 30g+ fat would be killer though. Not to mention you'd lose the benefits of the caffeine in the coffee if you waited until after you trained.
  7. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    As long as you are eating below maintenance level calories, it shouldn't matter. You may be more hungry later on though. If I were you, I'd fill up on low calorie vegetables as much as possible to fill the empty void in your stomach.
    Echoing Dane's sentiments, it sounds like I'd probably be better off asking what the best way to minimize a cheat meal, such as this's, adverse affects on nutrition rather than attempting to incorporate it into a diet.

1800 calories looks awful low. If you're not a small guy, you'll most likely lose muscle going that low.
    Check out my log and see what you think:

Enough is Enough! C0rk's Weight Loss Log
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

You could use turkey bacon and 2% cheese to lower the fat and kcal content.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You could use turkey bacon and 2% cheese to lower the fat and kcal content.
    Somewhat on the lines of what I was thinking...

I too agree that you shouldn't kill yourself on any diet, and enjoy a cheat meal once every while. And trust me, I know what you mean about those bagel sandwiches. Freakin' amazing stuff... I was eating those last year wayyy too often. Finally went online and saw the fat content, and was at first really suprised. Explains the taste I suppose.. so good.

IMO, with you current 1800kcal diet, it's just not a good idea right now. My vote would be to have the meal at most once a week, on a workout day. Instead, like Rodja was writing, make an attempt to create a similiar taste at your place with your own *controlled* ingredients. After some practice, I'd bet you'd stop going to DD completely, in favor of your own bagel sandwiches.
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dane View Post
    I eat clean 6 days a week, then eat whatever on Saturdays. Works well for me, but feel bloated and nasty on Sunday, when I'm usually 3-5 lbs heavier, damn pizza.
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by LilPsychotic View Post
    I eat clean 6 days a week, then eat whatever on Saturdays. Works well for me, but feel bloated and nasty on Sunday, when I'm usually 3-5 lbs heavier, damn pizza.
    Cheat meals are VERY important from not a mental sense, but also a physical sense.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Senior Member

Cheat meals are VERY important from not a mental sense, but also a physical sense.
    Some of my best workouts have come the day after a cheat meal(specifically running workouts)... I'd probably log that in the mental category, as I felt like I had an incredible amount of fat to use as fuel (weird feeling, I just felt rugged and ready to train). Had fried boneless chicken wings.... twas delicious.
  13. New Member

Chicken breasts, tuna, eggs, salad, ect. all week, then pizza and doritos today. Ahhh...
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

That's the way to go. I cheat on my leg day - figure that's the most caloric expenditure I have.
    (Just have to be careful that I don't hurl at the gym. )
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

I follow this also. It keeps me honest during the week knowing that I can eat something nasty on Saturday. I also gain a couple pounds of water weight and bloat over the weekend...but it works well for me and keeps me from going crazy during the week. The plus side to this is that combined with p-slin, my weekend workouts are freakin' awesome.
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80 View Post
    That's the way to go. I cheat on my leg day - figure that's the most caloric expenditure I have.
    (Just have to be careful that I don't hurl at the gym. )
    Cheat after you train.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Doug8796 View Post
    WOW!. I guess your just too good to ever eat anything thats not great for you!. You must be PERFECT!!!!
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug8796 View Post
    Dude, this was completely inappropriate. In fact, most of the posts I've read by you are arrogant, cocky, or completely unhelpful. Grow up man. This guy was asking for help, not sarcasm. I honestly wish I were a moderator cause I would ban your ridiculous immature ass.

C0rk, listen to guys like Rodj, SF, jmh... Good luck on the weight loss man!
  19. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I always tell my PT clients to eat WHATEVER they want 1-2x/week. The main thing to remember is to not eat so much that you can't have another meal in 3-4 hours.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Cheat after you train.
    I read a study that it's better to do that before lifting. I have my cheat meals for breakfast and lunch and wait maybe 2 or 3 hrs till I hit legs.

After that - I just have a whey shake post-WO and that's it. (Those 2 cheat meals leave me really f'ing bloated and not wanting to have anything else but water.)
  21. Senior Member

I read a study that it's better to do that before lifting. I have my cheat meals for breakfast and lunch and wait maybe 2 or 3 hrs till I hit legs.

After that - I just have a whey shake post-WO and that's it. (Those 2 cheat meals leave me really f'ing bloated and not wanting to have anything else but water.)
    I'd go with that route if I was doing a weight session (cardio? not a chance!). Mostly for psychological reasons, I'd feel like I'd be putting the splurge of calories(and most likely fat content) to good use. Helps with the guilty feeling of eating trash and then becoming a couch potatoe the rest of the day.
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I guess it depends on what your cheat meal of preference is.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

I think as long as you plan it around your workout, before or after, you are putting it to use...better so than eating it just before you go to bed. I would say as long as you stay away from that scenario then you are good to go no matter how you time it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Barely Healthy Donuts
    By dsade in forum Recipes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 12:31 PM
  2. Wholegrain bagel substitute?
    By andros in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 04:26 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 09:15 AM
  4. Cinnimon and Splenda Bagel