Potassium Chloride in salt substitute

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is this stuff "healthy" just like the potassium we are supposed to get from banana's etc?

It doesn't taste great but its an easy way to get extra K+ in the diet and avoid sodium simultaneously.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/No-Salt-Substitute-11-Ounce-Pack/dp/B000H7RXC4]Amazon.com: No Salt Salt Substitute, 11-Ounce Can (Pack of 4): Grocery[/ame]

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I've seen No Salt recomended by folks on this board and other boards that I trust for potassium supplementation. However, I've also seen some concern from others in the know about the chloride versus other versions. So it's up to you.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Large amounts of KCl can supposedly cause stomach discomfort. That's why it's usually sold as a gluconate in the supplement biz. KCL is available in prescription form for patients with low potassium levels.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Bumpin this thread. Don't cap potassium chloride. I capped it at 500 mg and took it. It felt like a hole was being bored through the stomach wall, very painful. I have since been dumping one 500 mg cap in a bottle of water 3xday. My BP had been 135+/85. I took it the other morning 128/74 54 bpm. It is a direct cardiac depressant, so go easy with it. Oh yea, It's NO SALT.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Potassium chloride is still a salt but there's nothing wrong with taking it. You can also make a potassium chloride + diesel fuel bomb but maybe not a good idea if you are in the USA ;)