40-40-20 diet

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it can, personally i find lower carb to work better for me. it depends a lot on your body type.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. Depends on your body. It doesn't work for me, but for some it does. I think statistically, most guys will cut better with low carb, but there are guys where this diet would work great.

TheAnimalG

TheAnimalG

Awards
Not for me at all. I use 40/40/20 for maintenance and bulking, but I had a hell of a time when I tried to lose weight on it.

Only when I switched to a low carb was I able to:
1) lose fat
2) lose water weight
3) not go crazy with hunger

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
It definitly depends on your body type and metabolism.

But works perfect for me

nolinenowait

Banned
Awards
i was so hungry today because of the diet. What percentage do you recommend for carb intake?

TheAnimalG

TheAnimalG

Awards
I was doing best with under 100 grams of carbs a day. I took carbs only at two times a day.

The first time of the day was for breakfast. I would have a bowl of oatmeal.

The second time of the day was immediately after my workout. I would have simple carbs (powerade powder) mixed with my protein shake.

I allowed myself fibrous vegetables at other times of the day, but simple carbs and complex starchy carbs were only eaten during those two times.

The other thing that helped me not be hungry:
I would eat my breakfast a bit later in the morning. Then, I would have the rest of my food spread across 5 other meals.

Make sure you aren't starving yourself, or you will lose muscle. What is your bodyfat percentage and weight? You can use that to calculate how many calories you can reduce your diet by to lose weight.

TheAnimalG

TheAnimalG

Awards
I was doing best with under 100 grams of carbs a day. I took carbs only at two times a day.

The first time of the day was for breakfast. I would have a bowl of oatmeal.

The second time of the day was immediately after my workout. I would have simple carbs (powerade powder) mixed with my protein shake.

I allowed myself fibrous vegetables at other times of the day, but simple carbs and complex starchy carbs were only eaten during those two times.

The other thing that helped me not be hungry:
I would eat my breakfast a bit later in the morning. Then, I would have the rest of my food spread across 5 other meals.

Make sure you aren't starving yourself, or you will lose muscle. What is your bodyfat percentage and weight? You can use that to calculate how many calories you can reduce your diet by to lose weight.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
most days i'm under 100g as well, frequently under 75. for me thats less in carbs than in fat. mine is more like 45 protein/35 fat/20 carb

And no, eating fat doesn't make you put on fat, eating more calories than you use does. Carbs actually put on fat more easily than eating fat does.

Cows eat grass and weeds only, and look how fatty beef is.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Also might depend on your exercise levels, intensity and recovery. Some people do really well on low carb, and some can cut just as well on a 40-40-20 so long as the calories are controlled and adequate protein is taken. You'll just to try each for a bit and see how you adhere to them.