Am I getting enough calories? And is my protein shake OK?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.86%

Am I getting enough calories? And is my protein shake OK?

I know threads like this are overdone but just wondering what you all think...

I'm planning on drinking these 2x a day.

2 Whole Eggs Raw (108 cals, 7.4g fat, .6g carbs, 9.4g protein)

2 Scoops Muscle Milk Chocolate Protein (350 cals, 18g fat, 12g carbs, 32g protein)

2 Tbsp Skippy Natural Peanut Butter (180 cals, 16g fat, 6g carbs, 7g protein)

1/2 Cup Quaker Instant Oatmeal (104 cals, 2.5g fat, 27g carbs, 5g protein)

Total = 742 calories, 43.9g fat, 45.6g carbs, 54.3g protein

Roughly that much... I weigh about 135lbs now and I'm about 5'9 or 5'10...

I don't have time to eat huge breakfast so it usually ends up being a bowl of cereal with milk (I'll have to work on that later).

I take a Centrum multi-vitamin every morning, and 4 fish oil capsules with breakfast, lunch, and dinner (150 calories, 15g fat).

Label says 2400mg of Fish Oil Concentrate with 432mg being Omega-3 EPA and 288mg being Omega-3 DHA for every 2 capsules... So is that like 7.5g of fish oil ok? Or is it the 2g of Omega-3s that's more important to be counting?

So that's about 200 calories for breakfast, 1500 from the 2 shakes, 150 from the fish oil, and I probably eat like 600-700 calories for lunch (frozen dinners and a yogurt), another frozen pizza (~400 calories) between lunch and dinner, and I really have no way to know what kind of nutrition I'm getting for dinner since it's pretty much whatever my folks are cookin lol.

Totals about 2250 calories not including my dinner which should probably be okay for someone my weight?

I also try to throw in random fruits for snacks whenever they're around and usually veggies included in my dinner. The frozen stuff could probably go but I'm skinny as is so I don't think my fat intake is too much of a concern for now.

Also, any ideas for what else I could throw in my shake for more calories that'll go well with the chocolate protein powder? I was thinking frozen fruits but I doubt they'd taste too good with chocolate... Any recommendations for protein powders that taste good with frozen fruit I can buy after I'm out of muscle milk? Keep in mind the muscle milk has some calories in there so that's why I buy that stuff.

I also take bulk BCAA's from NutraPlanet sometimes on an empty stomach at random. Usually before I take my shakes after working out though. And sometimes before bed. Is that a bad idea?

Budget is a factor too since I'm part-time school and part-time work at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.27%

I would try to take one with breakfast, one at lunch and one before bed!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.41%

I'd work on the rest of your diet before you worry about those shakes.
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. is my protein intake messed up?
    By AmazingAJ in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 06:35 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 08:15 PM
  3. How to get enough calories on low/no carb day?
    By AtomicFox in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 07:05 AM
  4. Heavy cream, should I use it to get enough calories?
    By AtomicFox in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 01:43 PM