Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.4%

raw eggs

so I started eating 3 raw eggs in the morning with 1 yolk. I heard different things ( good and bad) about raw eggs so im gonna bring it to you guys.

What do you think good or bad .
    ( From research .0003% of eggs are dangerious 1 in 30,000)

2. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.53%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Been eating raw eggs all my life without problems.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.4%

Nice... I mean it completly sucks and after I feel like im going to puke but it is much easier than eating cooked eggs in any form. I use to eat hard boiled .. HORRIBLE
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.25%

Quote Originally Posted by LaGrange26 View Post
    Nice... I mean it completly sucks and after I feel like im going to puke but it is much easier than eating cooked eggs in any form. I use to eat hard boiled .. HORRIBLE
    best way i found to eat raw eggs:

put them in a glass of o.j., seriously. in college, i would put 4 whole eggs in w/ a 12oz glass of o.j. and stir. couldn't even taste the eggs.
  5. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.89%

Been eating raw eggs off and on for quite a while. No problems here. I mix them in my protein shakes, makes them actually taste better.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.37%

I love drinking raw eggs and do so quite often, but I remember reading somewhere that consuming an abundance of raw eggs may cause a biotin deficiency. Whether that's true or not I have no idea, but I'll try to find the source.

Edit: Apparently consuming too many raw egg whites by themselves is what may cause the biotin deficiency, but if you consume the whole raw egg (both yolk and whites) the biotin in the yolk makes up for it. I googled it and this page came up.. More On Raw Eggs - Share The Wealth
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.5%

Raw yolk are the way to go, but I think the whites are better cooked, I usually separate them and use the whites in my oatmeal and the yolks i use in a shake later in the day.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.88%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

This summer I plan on doing 18-21 raw egg yolks/day on my modified AD diet

I'll cook the egg whites. Somthing with the admin or advin in the egg that needs to be cooked or else you can't absorbe all of the eggs protein.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  9. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.37%

Fcuk it! I'm gonna go drink some right now. Rocky did it and he's sixty and probably buffer than anyone here.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.88%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Schism View Post
    Fcuk it! I'm gonna go drink some right now. Rocky did it and he's sixty and probably buffer than anyone here.
    Bingo!! case and point,lol.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.65%

Quote Originally Posted by jminis View Post
    Been eating raw eggs off and on for quite a while. No problems here. I mix them in my protein shakes, makes them actually taste better.
    I do the same.... One raw egg in my Whey shake every morning.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.64%

It's true that raw white contains avidin which inhibits biotin absorption, as well as enzyme inhibitors (tripsin, I believe) so they're not digested the best raw.

Yolks are 100% good raw.

I just use whole raw eggs when consuming a large quantity because it would be too much of a pain to separate 36 yolks a day. But if I were just having a few I'd eat the yolks raw and cook the whites. If you do whole eggs raw just don't take your multi with them so you can absorb the biotin.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.34%

Avidin is neutralized by pasteurization. Supplementing with Biotin is good and cheap insurance.

Go with Egg Beaters or buy Gallons of Liquid Egg Whites from Egg White International, 100% bio-available egg protein!
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.05%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I read through that article that Deegin posted and couldn't help but laugh at the reader comments. Here are a few choices ones...

"I have only recently begun eating whole raw eggs, one in the morning and one in the evening. I read somewhere that the human body cannot digest more than 25gm of protein at once. Also one requires about 25-30 gm of protein. Considering that an egg has about 40 gm of protein, how does the above correlate to people eating 3-4 whole raw eggs at a time ?"

"I run six days a week in the morning and lift every other day. After my runs I have a protein shake that has about 45g of protien with 3 raw eggs, a banana, and about 16oz of fat free milk. Is that too much protien at once? I remember someone telling me that too much protien at one time is bad on the kidneys."

I wish eggs had 40 grams of protein per egg...then we'd all be huge.

Other than those tidbits, the actual article itself was a good read.
  15. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.37%

That's funny. Yea if eggs had that much protein in them I would say fcuk you to my $100 a month whey protein supps. Good times, good times...........
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.69%

Quote Originally Posted by Xodus View Post
    Avidin is neutralized by pasteurization. Supplementing with Biotin is good and cheap insurance.

Go with Egg Beaters or buy Gallons of Liquid Egg Whites from Egg White International, 100% bio-available egg protein!
    You can consume this raw out of the carton, or still better to cook?

Also, how are you guys "separating" the egg from the white when it's raw?? A great deal of the clear liquid (white) sticks to the yoke, so what's the point?
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.4%

I poke a nice hole in it n get most the white out ... not that difficult... and I eat one whole
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.34%

Quote Originally Posted by machwon04 View Post
    You can consume this raw out of the carton, or still better to cook?

Also, how are you guys "separating" the egg from the white when it's raw?? A great deal of the clear liquid (white) sticks to the yoke, so what's the point?
    No need to cook them. You can if you are making 'eggs/omellete/etc.', but I use egg beaters/egg whites in my shakes. Just guzzle them down. They are pasteurized, no risk of salmonella (even if slight) and they are bio-available.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.69%

How much of the carton are you consuming at one time? There's only 8 whites to a carton right? It could take 2-3 days to go through one, closer to 2 probably.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.34%

Quote Originally Posted by machwon04 View Post
    How much of the carton are you consuming at one time? There's only 8 whites to a carton right? It could take 2-3 days to go through one, closer to 2 probably.
    2 cups at a time. Its more economical to get the 4 gallons from Egg Whites Intl.
  21. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.91%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LaGrange26 View Post
    so I started eating 3 raw eggs in the morning with 1 yolk. I heard different things ( good and bad) about raw eggs so im gonna bring it to you guys.

What do you think good or bad .
    ( From research .0003% of eggs are dangerious 1 in 30,000)
    There is about 1500 different threads on this. My opinion is it isn't going to help you gain anymore muscle just becuase you saw Rocky Balboa do it. I think maybe it was a big in the 1970's when you weren't even a sparkle in your mommas eyes!. Look though, there are 100's of opinions about this on this board and hundreds of threads like this that pop up every week or so....
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.34%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    There is about 1500 different threads on this. My opinion is it isn't going to help you gain anymore muscle just becuase you saw Rocky Balboa do it. I think maybe it was a big in the 1970's when you weren't even a sparkle in your mommas eyes!. Look though, there are 100's of opinions about this on this board and hundreds of threads like this that pop up every week or so....
    Egg protein is good solid protein, whether powdered or liquid.

'Raw' eggs, no, not the best thing for you for the reasons cited above and elsewhere, but pasteurized is good. Cooking them falls somewhere in between as some of the proteins are denatured when they get above a certain temp.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.64%

I disagree with egg whites if you're going for anabolic purposes....whole eggs would be better.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.95%

one whole egg containrs probablly 70% of your DV of cholesterol if your eating more then 5-6 a day your gonna be in some trouble guys. I don't think egg whites are hard to cook at all this is what you shoul do.

Spray pan and heat up on the highest setting put egg whites in pan when it is really hot and stir. They cook in around 1 minute and it appears that there is a less volume of food. Add a little ketchup and your good to go. I add 6 egg whites to my meals like 2 or 3 times a day when bulking or cutting.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.64%

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleman003 View Post
    one whole egg containrs probablly 70% of your DV of cholesterol if your eating more then 5-6 a day your gonna be in some trouble guys.

Most people are going to be absolutely fine cholesterol-wise. I've seen blood tests to prove it. Yolks also contain a great deal of lecithin and choline to help the body process cholesterol anyway.
  26. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.12%

sorry......don't mean to be 'copy/paste guy', but thought this was pertinent -

THE TRUTH ABOUT EGGS

First, one has to understand that cholesterol is not necessarily bad. Humans need it to maintain cell walls, insulate nerve fibers and produced vitamin D, among other things. Second, there are two types of cholesterol: dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol . Both are important.

Dietary cholesterol is found in certain foods, such as meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, and diary products. The second type (blood cholesterol, also called serum cholesterol) is produced in the liver and floats around in our bloodstream. Blood cholesterol is divided into two sub-categories: High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL), and Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL). LDL cholesterol is considered bad because it sticks to artery walls.

What is bad, however, is the amount of LDL blood cholesterol in the body. Too much of it can cause heart problems, but scientists are now discovering that consuming food rich in dietary cholesterol does not increase blood cholesterol. At least that is what some experts believe (they are somewhat disagreeing on the matter... as usual).

Evidence showing that eating a lot of dietary cholesterol doesn't increase blood cholesterol was discovered during a statistical analysis conducted over 25 years by Dr. Wanda Howell and colleagues at the University of Arizona. The study revealed that people who consume two eggs each day with low-fat diets do not show signs of increased blood cholesterol levels.

So what does raise blood cholesterol? One of the main theories is that saturated fat does. Of the three types of fat (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated), saturated fat raises blood cholesterol and LDL levels. It so happens that eggs contain mostly polyunsaturated fat, which can actually lower blood cholesterol if one replaces food containing saturated fat with eggs.

If you're a bodybuilder, you need eggs....

Eggs are actually quite nutritious. They are not just fat (yolk) and protein (white). In fact, they contain a wide array of essential vitamins and minerals. Here is what's in an egg...

Vitamins
    A: good for the skin and growth.
    D: strengthens bones by raising calcium absorption.
    E: protects cells from oxidation.
    B1: helps properly release energy from carbohydrates.
    B2: helps release energy from protein and fat.
    B6: promotes the metabolism of protein.
    B12: an essential vitamin in the formation of nerve fibers and blood cells.

Minerals
    Iron: essential in the creation of red blood cells.
    Zinc: good for enzyme stability and essential in sexual maturation.
    Calcium: most important mineral in the strengthening of bones and teeth.
    Iodine: controls thyroid hormones.
    Selenium: like vitamin E, it protects cells from oxidation.best type of protein If that wasn't enough, egg whites contain the purest form of protein found in whole-foods. It is so high that nutritionists use them as the standard when comparing other whole-food proteins. Their "biological value" -- a measurement used to determine how efficiently a protein is used for growth -- is 93.7. Milk, fish, beef, and rice respectively have a bio value of 84.5, 76, 74.3, and 64.

The higher the value, the better the protein is absorbed. This is why many bodybuilders include eggs in their diet. When a person eats beef, for instance, all of the protein is not necessarily absorbed and used to rebuild tissue.

Protein is a complex substance, which is why bodybuilding protein supplement makers are constantly trying to refine the quality of their product and why some protein shake brands boast that their protein is made from egg whites. Having said that, each large egg contains 6.3 grams of protein.how to eat eggs Experts advise that despite being low in saturated fat, one should not eat more than two eggs a day on a low-fat diet. Egg yolk is mainly fat, so even though it doesn't raise blood cholesterol levels, it can cause other problems if abused.

Contaminated eggs kill up to 5000 individuals each year. One egg in 10,000 is contaminated with salmonella, so you should never eat undercooked eggs, make eggnog on your own or mimic Rocky by swallowing them raw.

The proper way to cook eggs depends on the type of food served. The American Egg Board advises that grills should never be set higher than 250F. Anything above that will leave the interior raw while burning the outside. If an egg has runny parts, it means it is still not cooked properly.mmm, mmm, eggs So now you know the truth about the incredible, edible egg. Once a foe, now a friend, this mighty whole-food contains many great nutrients and isn't as bad as people once thought. A great source of protein and easy to prepare, eggs are nature's golden food... if you don't eat too much of them, that is.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.64%

Contaminated eggs kill 5000 people a year? I call BS on that one. I've known many guys chugging tons of raw eggs for years and I have yet to hear of anyone even getting sick let alone dying. Where does this stat come from?
  28. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.12%

Quote Originally Posted by Neil5585 View Post
    Contaminated eggs kill 5000 people a year? I call BS on that one. I've known many guys chugging tons of raw eggs for years and I have yet to hear of anyone even getting sick let alone dying. Where does this stat come from?
    i'm sure they are probably counting all the people in 3rd world countries eating 1 month old rotton alligator eggs.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.82%

Uh, so should I pass on putting 2 raw eggs in my protein shake? I just started putting them in there and I plan on taking 2 shakes per day...

I was gonna look up salmonella symptoms to be safe too and now I read this lol.
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.89%

i perfer them cooked, eggs only take couple minutes to prepare, i rather spend the time and force my self to eat eggs (somedays its hard) then risk getting sick...sure its like 1 in 10,000 or whatever...but i do not want to be that 1
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.64%

I've seen so many people afraid to eat raw eggs, but they will eat at fast food places or restaurants.

I've never seen or heard of anyone getting sick from raw eggs, yet I've seen tons of people almost on a regular basis getting sick from eating out.

But people have this irrational fear of raw eggs....silly. I'd be willing to bet the people that say they are afraid of getting sick from raw eggs don't say "no way will I eat at a restaurant because I don't want to chance getting sick."
  32. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.34%

Quote Originally Posted by Neil5585 View Post
    I've seen so many people afraid to eat raw eggs, but they will eat at fast food places or restaurants.

I've never seen or heard of anyone getting sick from raw eggs, yet I've seen tons of people almost on a regular basis getting sick from eating out.

But people have this irrational fear of raw eggs....silly. I'd be willing to bet the people that say they are afraid of getting sick from raw eggs don't say "no way will I eat at a restaurant because I don't want to chance getting sick."
    I'm not afraid of raw eggs, I just don't think they are the most bio-available. The shells are what actually carry salmonella, not the liquids inside the shell.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.18%

one thing ya gotta remember about eating raw eggs is that bacteria like salmonella cannot live in temperatures colder then 40f and higher then 140f. So as long as you are normal and keep your fridge cooler then forty you should be ok to eat raw eggs. personally i prefer em cooked, just cant quite choke down the raw business. 3 a day every morning, yolks and all. mmmm.
  34. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.89%

Quote Originally Posted by Schism View Post
    Ya but what we didnt see was rocky injecting himself:bb:

was that before or after the messed up botox ol crooked eye
  35. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.89%

I eat them cooked however have always thought about raw if I was on the road
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.64%

Quote Originally Posted by Xodus View Post
    I'm not afraid of raw eggs, I just don't think they are the most bio-available. The shells are what actually carry salmonella, not the liquids inside the shell.
    Oh sorry man I wasn't talking about you with that comment. I agree that cooked whites are more bioavailable. Raw whites have the enzyme inhibitors and avidin. I do use whole raw eggs when eating very large quantities of them to gain mass, though, just out of convenience because separating 36 eggs a day would be a pain. I'm not 100% sure on eggbeaters so for now I'd rather go with the tried and true method.
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.69%

For cooking purposes, are you proposing that "over-easy" or "Sunny-side up" (cooking methods with COOKED whites, but WARMED yolk) would be the best method for bio-availability?
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.34%

Quote Originally Posted by CodyMartin View Post
    For cooking purposes, are you proposing that "over-easy" or "Sunny-side up" (cooking methods with COOKED whites, but WARMED yolk) would be the best method for bio-availability?
    Pasteurized is the best for bio-availability.

I forget the temp it takes to start denaturing proteins, but 'frying' definitely does.
  39. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.53%

Stomach acid denatures the protein as well. Raw eggs are just as bio-available as cooked. It's funny that some people argue the opposite and say it is less bio-available AFTER the proteins are denatured, lol. Cooking or pasteurizing may speed the process as shown in studies using ileal effluents and breath samples but one of the advantages to egg protein is the sustained release. If you want fast acting, use whey. IMHO
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.4%

I just find raw eggs so much easier to eat and the dont fill me up at all... It is hard for me to eat 5 eggs scarmbled but to choke down 5 raw eggs it takes two minutes and I can easily eat much more after.
    I really see the risks not out weighing the benifits from raw eggs so Im going to keep it up. Thanks for all the research guys
    Hell of a thread

Similar Forum Threads

1. raw egg whites
    By massmonster in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-29-2006, 01:32 AM
  2. Raw Eggs for your Health
    By BOHICA in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 05:38 PM
  3. Diet change: no more milk but raw eggs
    By Aeternitatis in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-02-2006, 08:49 PM
  4. what is wrong with eating raw egg whites?
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 02:04 PM
  5. Raw eggs
    By MaDmaN in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 08:01 AM