Tuna, Salmon, Seafood etc..

Ahhnold

Ahhnold

Awards
I absolutely love tuna, salmon, and other kinds of seafood, but I am scared ****less about mercury / mercury poisoning. I really don't even know if I have sound reasoning to actually be scared. I would like to make these foods a regular part of my diet but face this dilemma. Any insights?

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
YOu would have to eat a buttload of it to give you any real cause for concern.. that's the general, non-paranoid consensus.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
I disagree. There is plenty cause for concern. No, you won't have acute poisoning most likely, but that's far different from elevated levels in the body, which is metabolically very bad for so many things.

The only way to know is a 24 hour urine collection after taking a chelating agent like DMSA. This will give somewhat an idea of the current metals in the body. I've had this test done and I was quite elevated.

With respect to sea food, I know there are guidelines on what to avoid. For example, larger fish like tuna, halibut, shark, swordfish, etc are higher in metals, while smaller fish less so, and things like sockeye salmon being one of the lowest around. Shellfish and other seafood from certain areas can be contaminated with heavy metals and other toxins. Also I forget what type of tuna is lower in mercury than other types, but supposedly there is a difference. Tilapia and trout are also supposed to be rather low in heavy metals.

Also I believe drinking green tea or taking chlorella tabs with the seafood meal will help reduce absorption of heavy metals.

Adequate good mineral intake such as ZMK also helps keep bad metals out of the body.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
there's your paranoid consensus.. now you have two opinions.

majorwest

majorwest

Awards
A healthy dose of paranoia is never a bad thing.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't worry about mercury poisoning. Seafood is so popular and I hear less about mercury poisoning than you think. Seafood is also very healthy, depending on how you cook it, and I believe that it's certain fish, which contain more mercury than others. There are also other factors to take into consideration, such as the body of water from which the seafood came.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
A healthy dose of paranoia is never a bad thing.

who sent you?????? are you following me? Is there estrogen in my bottled water? Am I being tracked? How did you know my name?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ubi, we're the government.

We have your real name, 3 alias's, your blood type, Left middle finger print, sample DNA, IP address, and favorite color on file. We know where you live, and for heaven's sake, it doesn't hurt to do a little yardwork now and again, does it?

There is estrogen in your drinking water. We put it there so that you will feel more compassionate about Hillary Clinton come voting time. A bunch of other obscure and unlikey conspiracy theories and something about who shot JFK......with a polaroid camera before it was even invented.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Some people just worry way too much about some of the most irrelevant things.

majorwest

majorwest

Awards
who sent you?????? are you following me? Is there estrogen in my bottled water? Am I being tracked? How did you know my name?
All your bottled water belong to me.

Muscleguy is point on. You probably get more mercury poisoning from your amalgam fillings than you would a lifetime consuming seafood products. But, as previously suggested, a healthy dose of paranoia (read: consumer awareness) is consumer savvy.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Haha.. that's where you slipped.. I don't have fillings.... phew.. :)

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Ubi, we're the government.

We have your real name, 3 alias's, your blood type, Left middle finger print, sample DNA, IP address, and favorite color on file. We know where you live, and for heaven's sake, it doesn't hurt to do a little yardwork now and again, does it?

There is estrogen in your drinking water. We put it there so that you will feel more compassionate about Hillary Clinton come voting time. A bunch of other obscure and unlikey conspiracy theories and something about who shot JFK......with a polaroid camera before it was even invented.
I blatantly brag about me being Type O Negative.

The rest of what you said had me go catatonic for a few moments until that damn girl guide kid rang my doorbell. Remember what I do to girl guides.

I love Albacore and any other fishy fish in the fishy sea, so I will ignorantly defend consuming albacore until I die a king's death befitting one of ancient blood such as I.

Hijack terminated

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Haha.. that's where you slipped.. I don't have fillings.... phew.. :)
I have about 2-3 fillings, but I'm not worried about them causing me any problems in life. I take great care of my teeth. :D

Ahhnold

Ahhnold

Awards
Well what if I feel like eating salmon everyday.. is this cool? There's an S-load of protein in salmon

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well what if I feel like eating salmon everyday.. is this cool? There's an S-load of protein in salmon
If you're talking about your diet consisting only of this, then your body would eventually have bad reactions, as your body needs water and plenty more nutrients to function properly. But, if you're just talking about salmon being contained in one of your daily meals, then I'd say go for it! I love salmon, too, especially smoked.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I like these foods too, but my co-workers who work in the same room made a rule that says no eating seafood during lunch in the same room as them. :sad:

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Pacific Salmon has less mercury than Atlantic which has less Mercury than farm raised.

Salmon is expensive, offensive smelling to co-workers, and can contain alot of mercury.

Other than that, it's the perfect food IMO.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Some people just worry way too much about some of the most irrelevant things.

All these comments about how this is paranoid and **** are extremely ignorant.

What do you base this on? Your opinion? Well I'm basing mine on the fact that elevated heavy metals are a REAL thing and I've seen it in my own test results and also others. What are you basing it on? The fact that it isn't giving people acute poisoning? Do you realize there is a difference between unhealthy levels and outright poisoning? Do you understand how damaging heavy metals are in elevated levels? Do you realize that it comes from many other things other than seafood?

I'm not saying you're going to get acute poisoning and die from eating tuna. I'm saying you have to watch your intake of certain seafood in particular because heavy metals can bioaccumulate if too much is taken in over a time, and this can lead to elevated levels in tissues with interrupts delicate metabolic processes. To call this irrelevant or paranoid is just plain ignorant.

I'm apologizing ahead of time because I know I came off as an ass in this post.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established

What do you base this on? Your opinion? Well I'm basing mine on the fact that elevated heavy metals are a REAL thing and I've seen it in my own test results and also others. What are you basing it on? The fact that it isn't giving people acute poisoning? Do you realize there is a difference between unhealthy levels and outright poisoning? Do you understand how damaging heavy metals are in elevated levels? Do you realize that it comes from many other things other than seafood?

I'm not saying you're going to get acute poisoning and die from eating tuna. I'm saying you have to watch your intake of certain seafood in particular because heavy metals can bioaccumulate if too much is taken in over a time, and this can lead to elevated levels in tissues with interrupts delicate metabolic processes. To call this irrelevant or paranoid is just plain ignorant.

Watch the news. You'll see how much of the bull**** that most people believe. A lot of it is fabricated, if not completely made up, and people believe it. That's what I'm basing that statement on. Not on mercury alone, but things in general. A lot of people spend too much of their time, worrying about things that they shouldn't really have to worry about. Who seriously is gonna consume seafood, 24-7, on 365 days out of the year? Enough to kill them? Nobody. Sheesh. Besides, mercury isn't the only thing in seafood, not to mention foods in general, that there is to worry about. How about trans fat? What about other metals found in other foods?

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Watch the news. You'll see how much of the bull**** that most people believe. A lot of it is fabricated, if not completely made up, and people believe it. That's what I'm basing that statement on. Not on mercury alone, but things in general. A lot of people spend too much of their time, worrying about things that they shouldn't really have to worry about. Who seriously is gonna consume seafood, 24-7, on 365 days out of the year? Enough to kill them? Nobody. Sheesh.

You're telling me that test results I've seen are fabricated? C'mon now.

Enough to kill them? Again, you're totally not getting the differentiation between acute poisoning resulting in death and elevated levels which can lead to chronic health problems.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You're telling me that test results I've seen are fabricated? C'mon now.

Enough to kill them? Again, you're totally not getting the differentiation between acute poisoning resulting in death and elevated levels which can lead to chronic health problems.
Did I say anything at all about test results? No. I was talking about the news. But, are you saying that medical professionals and technology can't make mistakes?

I eat seafood once in a while. I'm not all that concerned about mercury poisoning. If you wanna worry about mercury being in everything you eat, then that's fine. More power to you. I just have much better things to do. My family has hardly any health problems, so I'm gonna enjoy my health while I can.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Did I say anything at all about test results? No. I was talking about the news. But, are you saying that medical professionals and technology can't make mistakes?

I eat seafood once in a while. I'm not all that concerned about mercury poisoning. If you wanna worry about mercury being in everything you eat, then that's fine. More power to you. I just have much better things to do. My family has hardly any health problems, so I'm gonna enjoy my health while I can.

I'll stick to actual test results instead of uneducated opinions.

I'm not worried about mercury POISONING, either. I'm concerned with ELEVATED LEVELS. How many times do I have to say this?

Many bodybuilders eat canned tuna and other seafood like it's going out of style. In these cases, there is definitely a legitimate concern for accumulating heavy metals leading to elevated levels, which interrupts delicate metabolic processes which can lead to chronic health problems down the road. You don't have any now? Great, but that means absolutely nothing. Someone with cancer most likely didn't have it 15 years ago, either.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
There is a reason why cancer is such a growing epidemic.

There is also a reason why the media wouldn't want anyone to worry about it.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'll stick to actual test results instead of uneducated opinions.

I'm not worried about mercury POISONING, either. I'm concerned with ELEVATED LEVELS. How many times do I have to say this?

Many bodybuilders eat canned tuna and other seafood like it's going out of style. In these cases, there is definitely a legitimate concern for accumulating heavy metals leading to elevated levels, which interrupts delicate metabolic processes which can lead to chronic health problems down the road. You don't have any now? Great, but that means absolutely nothing. Someone with cancer most likely didn't have it 15 years ago, either.
I do believe there are vitamins and minerals that you can take, to help positively affect any dangerous levels of mercury in your body.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There is a reason why cancer is such a growing epidemic.

There is also a reason why the media wouldn't want anyone to worry about it.
The government tells the media what they can, and can't, report. Unfortunately. Now that's something to be concerned about.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Neil, I did say I was ignorantly defending my consumption.

I can also understand why you would try to explain your stance on this because you have actually been tested and had elevated levels. Yes of course heavy metal accumulation in your body is detrimental to your health in the long run.

Awareness of it is good, but then everyone should also be aware that most of the crap that is shoved down our throats is detrimental to our health. Go look at a school yard and tell me what you see kids eating.

I'm more concerned about the basic diet of americans than my love for sea food.

I certainly don't want to go on a rant about that.

My paranoid statement was quasi-tongue in cheek.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Neil, I did say I was ignorantly defending my consumption.

I can also understand why you would try to explain your stance on this because you have actually been tested and had elevated levels. Yes of course heavy metal accumulation in your body is detrimental to your health in the long run.

Awareness of it is good, but then everyone should also be aware that most of the crap that is shoved down our throats is detrimental to our health. Go look at a school yard and tell me what you see kids eating.

I'm more concerned about the basic diet of americans than my love for sea food.

I certainly don't want to go on a rant about that.

My paranoid statement was quasi-tongue in cheek.

Are you saying our cultures culinary habits are unhealthy?

...blasphemy!!

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
People, people.....tunas..... (shakes head)

Wheres the links, wheres the data....this is all a case of "i heard", "im not sure but", "my uncle timmy has mecury from licking salmon at the market...."

Heres some helpful links I collected over the years on the matter. I love tuna as much as the next bber:

TESTOSTERONE NATION

StarKist®*|*FAQs

What You Need to Know about Mercury in Fish and Shellfish

UnderwaterTimes | Government Tests Confirm Mercury Levels in Canned Tuna Are Low

As a general rule, chunk lite has less "mercury" that albacore.

Tuna Love

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
People, people.....tunas..... (shakes head)

Wheres the links, wheres the data....this is all a case of "i heard", "im not sure but", "my uncle timmy has mecury from licking salmon at the market...."

Heres some helpful links I collected over the years on the matter. I love tuna as much as the next bber:

TESTOSTERONE NATION

StarKist®*|*FAQs

What You Need to Know about Mercury in Fish and Shellfish

UnderwaterTimes | Government Tests Confirm Mercury Levels in Canned Tuna Are Low

As a general rule, chunk lite has less "mercury" that albacore.

Tuna Love

That picture is amazing...

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Mashed, funny that you linked us to a TNation (ewww) page written by a medical student without any papers to cite. ;)

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Mashed, funny that you linked us to a TNation (ewww) page written by a medical student without any papers to cite. ;)
well that link was put there just for you ;)

jokes aside, i thought he gave a decent lowdown on tuna, but i gave some more authority links on the subject.

i guess everyone can make their own decision on the subject, i mean i eat 2 cans a day and i havent noticed any unwanted side effects...

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
On the flip side, by the time you notice unmistakable side effects I think you're in deep...

That now means that your heavy metal levels aren't just elevated enough to start interfering with metabolic processes, but that it's now high enough to start producing pronounced side effects because it's messing up your body so much.

Ahhnold

Ahhnold

Awards
i guess just drink an S load of protein shakes to compensate.. this stuff is crazy: i actually had a dream i caught a huge tuna last night.. this stuff is really getting to me.. hehe

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
On the flip side, by the time you notice unmistakable side effects I think you're in deep...

That now means that your heavy metal levels aren't just elevated enough to start interfering with metabolic processes, but that it's now high enough to start producing pronounced side effects because it's messing up your body so much.
Very true (btw i was making a joke :p).

Interestingly enought though, i wonder if its possible to buy Organic Tuna - as in, raisied in an area with "normal" or very low poisoning from waste metals...

I know you buy samon in such a way, but as tuna is a saltwater fish, im curious if its even possible..

WhenAllFails

WhenAllFails

Awards
as far as i've ever read or seen the only fish with a true threat of high mercury levels is swordfish, and I doubt anyone here is going to live off of it, much less have it daily.

When someone produces these test results we have to believe then i'll watch my fish intake.

But even then who were these tests performed on, did they feed a rat six pounds of fish a day over an extended period to see how much it took to kill it, and then subsequently say it applied to humans? if they tested the fish, who's to say the fish(one or a group) wasn't a special case?

heh now I want some smoked salmon, or some shrimp and scallop garlic butter pasta....mmmmmmmmmmm

Ahhnold

Ahhnold

Awards
funny.. there is an ad for salmon in this thread

Vinny

Awards
I absolutely love tuna, salmon, and other kinds of seafood, but I am scared ****less about mercury / mercury poisoning. I really don't even know if I have sound reasoning to actually be scared. I would like to make these foods a regular part of my diet but face this dilemma. Any insights?
In last few months I have gone fishing atleast once a week (bought a small boat) . I have never eaten so much fish in my life be it freshwater (Big lakes) bass or marine snapper,grouper .
I had check up couple weeks ago blood was checked for everything and no problems.
I guess if you eat fish from dirty lakes,rivers,canals which is not our case its something to worry about but other than that dont worry.
The supermarket beef,chicken,turkey I buy are probably loaded with more junk than any sea food.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
I had check up couple weeks ago blood was checked for everything and no problems.

If you have high blood levels of mercury, you're in trouble....

The real test is 24 hour urine collection with a chelating agent such as DMSA to actually pull the metals out of deeper tissues to see what's really in the body. The body isn't going to just let mercury hang out in the blood unless tissues are saturated or there's just too much and it's overwhelmed, which is why I said you'd be in trouble if you had high blood levels.

And again this is differentiating acute mercury poisoning with elevated tissue levels.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Am I too late to the paranoia party?

Do you have YOUR foil ready? I keeps the CIA out.

Vinny

Awards
If you have high blood levels of mercury, you're in trouble....

The real test is 24 hour urine collection with a chelating agent such as DMSA to actually pull the metals out of deeper tissues to see what's really in the body. The body isn't going to just let mercury hang out in the blood unless tissues are saturated or there's just too much and it's overwhelmed, which is why I said you'd be in trouble if you had high blood levels.

And again this is differentiating acute mercury poisoning with elevated tissue levels.

I did not know that. I would have thought blood test was the key.
My doctor asked me if any changes,how was I doing same standard questions. I told him I eat caught fish roughly 3 days a week ( I filet them than cook and eat them during week or freeze it)
He said he would run tests everything came back fine I am . He took urine (well I gave it to him lol) and 2 blood vials . I thought urine was just standard for whatever the look for.
The water here is very clean . I just mentioned to him the amount of fish I eat as have eaten big channel catfish caught by lake ocochobee .
I didnt even care for fishing nor fish till moved here now love it.
Either way thanks for the info

Vinny

Awards

I would think more junk like hormones,chemicals,drugs in chicken,turkey,meat than fish .
I used to eat lots ground turkey feel better eating lots fish feel more energetic . I see what your saying but overall think fish if from clean waters the ideal food unless you buy natural free roaming chicken, etc.

Vinny

Awards
Pacific Salmon has less mercury than Atlantic which has less Mercury than farm raised.

Salmon is expensive, offensive smelling to co-workers, and can contain alot of mercury.

Other than that, it's the perfect food IMO.
Yes salmon is expensive . I think its the best but eat lots bass instead of fish those in area lake . I even prefer Salmon over the sea red snappers which are great to. Sadly no salmon in Miami unless you buy it
I was watching show on Alaska while back those that eat salmon all yr long (they dry it store it) are healthier than those that dont granted they eat natural stuff so might just be they eat "clean"

WhenAllFails

WhenAllFails

Awards
It's all a government conspiracy by the man to keep us down. Damn the man! Save the empire!

If mercury in seafood was such a problem half of England, Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, and most of Alaska would either be EXTREMELY sick and/or dead.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
I think some of the people in this thread have already suffered the mental decline from mercury from ingesting too much contaminated seafood. Hey ignorance is bliss...until it comes back to bite you in the ass later.