Tuna, Salmon, Seafood etc..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Red face Tuna, Salmon, Seafood etc..


    I absolutely love tuna, salmon, and other kinds of seafood, but I am scared ****less about mercury / mercury poisoning. I really don't even know if I have sound reasoning to actually be scared. I would like to make these foods a regular part of my diet but face this dilemma. Any insights?


  2. YOu would have to eat a buttload of it to give you any real cause for concern.. that's the general, non-paranoid consensus.
    •   
       


  3. I disagree. There is plenty cause for concern. No, you won't have acute poisoning most likely, but that's far different from elevated levels in the body, which is metabolically very bad for so many things.

    The only way to know is a 24 hour urine collection after taking a chelating agent like DMSA. This will give somewhat an idea of the current metals in the body. I've had this test done and I was quite elevated.

    With respect to sea food, I know there are guidelines on what to avoid. For example, larger fish like tuna, halibut, shark, swordfish, etc are higher in metals, while smaller fish less so, and things like sockeye salmon being one of the lowest around. Shellfish and other seafood from certain areas can be contaminated with heavy metals and other toxins. Also I forget what type of tuna is lower in mercury than other types, but supposedly there is a difference. Tilapia and trout are also supposed to be rather low in heavy metals.

    Also I believe drinking green tea or taking chlorella tabs with the seafood meal will help reduce absorption of heavy metals.

    Adequate good mineral intake such as ZMK also helps keep bad metals out of the body.

  4. there's your paranoid consensus.. now you have two opinions.

  5. A healthy dose of paranoia is never a bad thing.
    •   
       


  6. I wouldn't worry about mercury poisoning. Seafood is so popular and I hear less about mercury poisoning than you think. Seafood is also very healthy, depending on how you cook it, and I believe that it's certain fish, which contain more mercury than others. There are also other factors to take into consideration, such as the body of water from which the seafood came.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by majorwest View Post
    A healthy dose of paranoia is never a bad thing.

    who sent you?????? are you following me? Is there estrogen in my bottled water? Am I being tracked? How did you know my name?

  8. Ubi, we're the government.

    We have your real name, 3 alias's, your blood type, Left middle finger print, sample DNA, IP address, and favorite color on file. We know where you live, and for heaven's sake, it doesn't hurt to do a little yardwork now and again, does it?

    There is estrogen in your drinking water. We put it there so that you will feel more compassionate about Hillary Clinton come voting time. A bunch of other obscure and unlikey conspiracy theories and something about who shot JFK......with a polaroid camera before it was even invented.

  9. Some people just worry way too much about some of the most irrelevant things.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    who sent you?????? are you following me? Is there estrogen in my bottled water? Am I being tracked? How did you know my name?
    All your bottled water belong to me.

    Muscleguy is point on. You probably get more mercury poisoning from your amalgam fillings than you would a lifetime consuming seafood products. But, as previously suggested, a healthy dose of paranoia (read: consumer awareness) is consumer savvy.

  11. Haha.. that's where you slipped.. I don't have fillings.... phew..

  12. Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Ubi, we're the government.

    We have your real name, 3 alias's, your blood type, Left middle finger print, sample DNA, IP address, and favorite color on file. We know where you live, and for heaven's sake, it doesn't hurt to do a little yardwork now and again, does it?

    There is estrogen in your drinking water. We put it there so that you will feel more compassionate about Hillary Clinton come voting time. A bunch of other obscure and unlikey conspiracy theories and something about who shot JFK......with a polaroid camera before it was even invented.
    I blatantly brag about me being Type O Negative.

    The rest of what you said had me go catatonic for a few moments until that damn girl guide kid rang my doorbell. Remember what I do to girl guides.


    I love Albacore and any other fishy fish in the fishy sea, so I will ignorantly defend consuming albacore until I die a king's death befitting one of ancient blood such as I.

    Hijack terminated

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Haha.. that's where you slipped.. I don't have fillings.... phew..
    I have about 2-3 fillings, but I'm not worried about them causing me any problems in life. I take great care of my teeth.

  14. Well what if I feel like eating salmon everyday.. is this cool? There's an S-load of protein in salmon

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Ahhnold View Post
    Well what if I feel like eating salmon everyday.. is this cool? There's an S-load of protein in salmon
    If you're talking about your diet consisting only of this, then your body would eventually have bad reactions, as your body needs water and plenty more nutrients to function properly. But, if you're just talking about salmon being contained in one of your daily meals, then I'd say go for it! I love salmon, too, especially smoked.

  16. I like these foods too, but my co-workers who work in the same room made a rule that says no eating seafood during lunch in the same room as them.

  17. Pacific Salmon has less mercury than Atlantic which has less Mercury than farm raised.


    Salmon is expensive, offensive smelling to co-workers, and can contain alot of mercury.

    Other than that, it's the perfect food IMO.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGuyinNY View Post
    Some people just worry way too much about some of the most irrelevant things.

    All these comments about how this is paranoid and **** are extremely ignorant.

    What do you base this on? Your opinion? Well I'm basing mine on the fact that elevated heavy metals are a REAL thing and I've seen it in my own test results and also others. What are you basing it on? The fact that it isn't giving people acute poisoning? Do you realize there is a difference between unhealthy levels and outright poisoning? Do you understand how damaging heavy metals are in elevated levels? Do you realize that it comes from many other things other than seafood?

    I'm not saying you're going to get acute poisoning and die from eating tuna. I'm saying you have to watch your intake of certain seafood in particular because heavy metals can bioaccumulate if too much is taken in over a time, and this can lead to elevated levels in tissues with interrupts delicate metabolic processes. To call this irrelevant or paranoid is just plain ignorant.

    I'm apologizing ahead of time because I know I came off as an ass in this post.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Neil5585 View Post
    All these comments about how this is paranoid and **** are extremely ignorant.

    What do you base this on? Your opinion? Well I'm basing mine on the fact that elevated heavy metals are a REAL thing and I've seen it in my own test results and also others. What are you basing it on? The fact that it isn't giving people acute poisoning? Do you realize there is a difference between unhealthy levels and outright poisoning? Do you understand how damaging heavy metals are in elevated levels? Do you realize that it comes from many other things other than seafood?

    I'm not saying you're going to get acute poisoning and die from eating tuna. I'm saying you have to watch your intake of certain seafood in particular because heavy metals can bioaccumulate if too much is taken in over a time, and this can lead to elevated levels in tissues with interrupts delicate metabolic processes. To call this irrelevant or paranoid is just plain ignorant.

    I'm apologizing ahead of time because I know I came off as an ass in this post.
    Watch the news. You'll see how much of the bull**** that most people believe. A lot of it is fabricated, if not completely made up, and people believe it. That's what I'm basing that statement on. Not on mercury alone, but things in general. A lot of people spend too much of their time, worrying about things that they shouldn't really have to worry about. Who seriously is gonna consume seafood, 24-7, on 365 days out of the year? Enough to kill them? Nobody. Sheesh. Besides, mercury isn't the only thing in seafood, not to mention foods in general, that there is to worry about. How about trans fat? What about other metals found in other foods?

  20. Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGuyinNY View Post
    Watch the news. You'll see how much of the bull**** that most people believe. A lot of it is fabricated, if not completely made up, and people believe it. That's what I'm basing that statement on. Not on mercury alone, but things in general. A lot of people spend too much of their time, worrying about things that they shouldn't really have to worry about. Who seriously is gonna consume seafood, 24-7, on 365 days out of the year? Enough to kill them? Nobody. Sheesh.


    You're telling me that test results I've seen are fabricated? C'mon now.

    Enough to kill them? Again, you're totally not getting the differentiation between acute poisoning resulting in death and elevated levels which can lead to chronic health problems.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Neil5585 View Post
    You're telling me that test results I've seen are fabricated? C'mon now.

    Enough to kill them? Again, you're totally not getting the differentiation between acute poisoning resulting in death and elevated levels which can lead to chronic health problems.
    Did I say anything at all about test results? No. I was talking about the news. But, are you saying that medical professionals and technology can't make mistakes?

    I eat seafood once in a while. I'm not all that concerned about mercury poisoning. If you wanna worry about mercury being in everything you eat, then that's fine. More power to you. I just have much better things to do. My family has hardly any health problems, so I'm gonna enjoy my health while I can.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGuyinNY View Post
    Did I say anything at all about test results? No. I was talking about the news. But, are you saying that medical professionals and technology can't make mistakes?

    I eat seafood once in a while. I'm not all that concerned about mercury poisoning. If you wanna worry about mercury being in everything you eat, then that's fine. More power to you. I just have much better things to do. My family has hardly any health problems, so I'm gonna enjoy my health while I can.

    I'll stick to actual test results instead of uneducated opinions.

    I'm not worried about mercury POISONING, either. I'm concerned with ELEVATED LEVELS. How many times do I have to say this?

    Many bodybuilders eat canned tuna and other seafood like it's going out of style. In these cases, there is definitely a legitimate concern for accumulating heavy metals leading to elevated levels, which interrupts delicate metabolic processes which can lead to chronic health problems down the road. You don't have any now? Great, but that means absolutely nothing. Someone with cancer most likely didn't have it 15 years ago, either.

  23. There is a reason why cancer is such a growing epidemic.

    There is also a reason why the media wouldn't want anyone to worry about it.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Neil5585 View Post
    I'll stick to actual test results instead of uneducated opinions.

    I'm not worried about mercury POISONING, either. I'm concerned with ELEVATED LEVELS. How many times do I have to say this?

    Many bodybuilders eat canned tuna and other seafood like it's going out of style. In these cases, there is definitely a legitimate concern for accumulating heavy metals leading to elevated levels, which interrupts delicate metabolic processes which can lead to chronic health problems down the road. You don't have any now? Great, but that means absolutely nothing. Someone with cancer most likely didn't have it 15 years ago, either.
    I do believe there are vitamins and minerals that you can take, to help positively affect any dangerous levels of mercury in your body.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    There is a reason why cancer is such a growing epidemic.

    There is also a reason why the media wouldn't want anyone to worry about it.
    The government tells the media what they can, and can't, report. Unfortunately. Now that's something to be concerned about.

  26. Neil, I did say I was ignorantly defending my consumption.

    I can also understand why you would try to explain your stance on this because you have actually been tested and had elevated levels. Yes of course heavy metal accumulation in your body is detrimental to your health in the long run.

    Awareness of it is good, but then everyone should also be aware that most of the crap that is shoved down our throats is detrimental to our health. Go look at a school yard and tell me what you see kids eating.

    I'm more concerned about the basic diet of americans than my love for sea food.

    I certainly don't want to go on a rant about that.

    My paranoid statement was quasi-tongue in cheek.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Neil, I did say I was ignorantly defending my consumption.

    I can also understand why you would try to explain your stance on this because you have actually been tested and had elevated levels. Yes of course heavy metal accumulation in your body is detrimental to your health in the long run.

    Awareness of it is good, but then everyone should also be aware that most of the crap that is shoved down our throats is detrimental to our health. Go look at a school yard and tell me what you see kids eating.

    I'm more concerned about the basic diet of americans than my love for sea food.

    I certainly don't want to go on a rant about that.

    My paranoid statement was quasi-tongue in cheek.

    Are you saying our cultures culinary habits are unhealthy?


    ...blasphemy!!

  28. People, people.....tunas..... (shakes head)

    Wheres the links, wheres the data....this is all a case of "i heard", "im not sure but", "my uncle timmy has mecury from licking salmon at the market...."

    Heres some helpful links I collected over the years on the matter. I love tuna as much as the next bber:

    TESTOSTERONE NATION

    StarKist®*|*FAQs

    What You Need to Know about Mercury in Fish and Shellfish

    UnderwaterTimes | Government Tests Confirm Mercury Levels in Canned Tuna Are Low

    As a general rule, chunk lite has less "mercury" that albacore.


    Tuna Love

  29. Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotato View Post
    People, people.....tunas..... (shakes head)

    Wheres the links, wheres the data....this is all a case of "i heard", "im not sure but", "my uncle timmy has mecury from licking salmon at the market...."

    Heres some helpful links I collected over the years on the matter. I love tuna as much as the next bber:

    TESTOSTERONE NATION

    StarKist®*|*FAQs

    What You Need to Know about Mercury in Fish and Shellfish

    UnderwaterTimes | Government Tests Confirm Mercury Levels in Canned Tuna Are Low

    As a general rule, chunk lite has less "mercury" that albacore.


    Tuna Love


    That picture is amazing...

  30. Mashed, funny that you linked us to a TNation (ewww) page written by a medical student without any papers to cite.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Tinned fish - Salmon yes, Tuna no
    By Malek256 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 12:02 PM
  2. tuna > salmon ??? (omega 3s)
    By sushibug in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 08:43 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 10:05 AM
  4. Protein etc. during the day Advice Please
    By gettin'old in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 07:25 PM
  5. No tuna!!! mmmm Cottage cheese
    By Sanosuke in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-04-2002, 02:39 AM
Log in
Log in