foolishpleasure

Awards
Good article. I have done this many times. Thanks

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'll be sure to keep this in mind for future reference.

After rinsing the meat, is it possible to store the rest of it in the fridge or freezer as usual?

n2bnbig

Awards

After rinsing the meat, is it possible to store the rest of it in the fridge or freezer as usual?
yep....just tap the strainer a few times to remove excess water.....this is the only way I eat ground beef....cept an ocasional cheat burger

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established

Yea it should be fine to store. It really makes you wonder if it's worth spending all the extra money on the 90+ meats.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If I were to freeze it, then I could just leave out the portion that I plan on rinsing and cooking. But I wonder if it'd be safe to rinse all of it, cooked whatever I wanted, then stored the rest in a tupperware container, or wrapped up in the fridge.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
That just sounds gross, I just buy the ultra lean stuff. Which is usually only once every couple weeks.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
That just sounds gross, I just buy the ultra lean stuff. Which is usually only once every couple weeks.
How's it gross. You just drain the fat. Rinse it with hot water and BAM...much more affordable, almost as healthy ground beef.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
try cooking it as you would spaghetti:

boil it in a pot
dump into a collander/strainer
rinse water over it

Very effective in removing the fat. Works great on taco nights.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
This is exactly what I do. I buy those 5# 'tubes' of 73% lean and rinse the hell out of it. If I want to add a little 'greasiness' back in, a few TB's of EVOO works and helps when you season it.

Cheap and effective.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
This is exactly what I do. I buy those 5# 'tubes' of 73% lean and rinse the hell out of it. If I want to add a little 'greasiness' back in, a few TB's of EVOO works and helps when you season it.

Cheap and effective.
The EVOO is a great idea. I'm definitely gonna be trying that out the next time. Thanks for the idea.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm cooking up some lean ground beef right now. I'm pretty much making a 'poor man's Hamburger Helper.' I'm using low-fat cheese, but I wish I had wheat pasta, which I don't. Oh, well. I had some of the beef earlier and it was amazing. My father bought it, though, so I don't know where he got it from. It actually tastes much better than most kinds of ground beef that I've had in the past.

I also shall try the EVOO idea sometime.

bryan4592

Awards
This sounds great! How lean of beef do you guys buy?

CodyMartin

CodyMartin

Awards
Yea it should be fine to store. It really makes you wonder if it's worth spending all the extra money on the 90+ meats.
The 90+ meats typically contain better pieces at the beginning. Most of the fattier percents are the fattier left over pieces from trimming. Also, if 20%~ or so of your purchase is washed down the drain after cooking, is it really cheaper?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
The 90+ meats typically contain better pieces at the beginning. Most of the fattier percents are the fattier left over pieces from trimming. Also, if 20%~ or so of your purchase is washed down the drain after cooking, is it really cheaper?
I guess it depends on what you get the 90% meats for.

Unless they are on sale, the fattier meats are cheaper as I am going to rinse the 90% like I do the 73%.

CodyMartin

CodyMartin

Awards
I guess it depends on what you get the 90% meats for.

Unless they are on sale, the fattier meats are cheaper as I am going to rinse the 90% like I do the 73%.
But 27% of that by weight is fat. Compared to 10%.

Lets say ALL the fat is removed during cooking (which it isn't).

A 5-pound package will cook down to (5*.73) = 3.65 lb.

A 4-Pound package of 90% lean (4*.9) = 3.6 lb.

That's an entire pound extra you would need of the 73% to equal the lean mass of the 90%.

I only buy 93% personally unless I grill burgers. You gotta have some fat (the 85% leans do pretty good) in order for the patty to stay cohesive while cooking.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
But 27% of that by weight is fat. Compared to 10%.

Lets say ALL the fat is removed during cooking (which it isn't).

A 5-pound package will cook down to (5*.73) = 3.65 lb.

A 4-Pound package of 90% lean (4*.9) = 3.6 lb.

That's an entire pound extra you would need of the 73% to equal the lean mass of the 90%.

I only buy 93% personally unless I grill burgers. You gotta have some fat (the 85% leans do pretty good) in order for the patty to stay cohesive while cooking.
73% @ $2/lb or 90% @ ~$4/lb

I get 5# tubes for ~$10, plus I add the fats that I want back in.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
The 90% are probably twice as much here as some of the fattier meats, so even though a higher percentage goes down the drain, the end result is much cheaper. So I guess it just boils down to how much you can get your meats for.

strester

strester

Awards
  • Established
I've used 93% and mixed in egg whites before making the patties ... they held together well on the charcoal grill

To the OP ... saw a video on youtube about this last month and been doing it ever since - ground beef AND ground turkey get the wash in my kitchen - article is a nice find :clap2:

Tobinho

Awards
I imagine this considerably reduces the flavor too as it is also washed down the drain?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I imagine this considerably reduces the flavor too as it is also washed down the drain?
Not really. Add some EVOO and some Mrs. Dash spices and everything is good again.

Can't really make patties with it, but for anything requiring ground beef, I usually have enough 'flavorful' additives where its not bad.