Canned Chicken Breast

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Seems like it's too good to be true. All the nutrition of chicken breast with all the convenience of tuna. How do you guys like this canned chicken breast?

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Its good in a pinch, time-wise, but I feel its too salty for me. So I stick with chicken I can prepare myself.

Whiplash

Whiplash

Awards
Canned chicken? lol, sounds scary. I bet it has lots of sodium, the biggest downfall with most canned goods. :( I just cook up about 6lbs on a weeknight, and it gets me through almost 7 days. Usually you can get the club packs for $1.99/lb

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
Hi,
Personally I like to stay away from processed/canned foods. The processing destroyes bioavailable enzymes and nuturients.
However, the nutritional stats of canned chicken are somewhat similar to unprocessed chicken with respect to everything except mainly sodium. Sodium phosphates raise the sodium count of canned chicken to about 150mg soduim per ounce(28g). Canned tuna in water is about 125mgs of sodium per ounce(28g).
I Consider this when I eat over 2 lb of chicken per day especially on a cutting diet where I try to limit sodium as much as possible... My 2 cents.
An additional thought I have is that I am not sure if the protein quality of canned chicken may also be degraded by the canning process. Example: Out of 6 grams of protein per ounce of canned chicken, if 2 grams are denatured this is useless compared to high quality bioavailable protein. Any nutritionists out there know anything about canned protein quality/bioavailability?

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Hi,
Personally I like to stay away from processed/canned foods. The processing destroyes bioavailable enzymes and nuturients.
However, the nutritional stats of canned chicken are somewhat similar to unprocessed chicken with respect to everything except mainly sodium. Sodium phosphates raise the sodium count of canned chicken to about 150mg soduim per ounce(28g). Canned tuna in water is about 125mgs of sodium per ounce(28g).
I Consider this when I eat over a lb of chicken per day especially on a cutting diet where I try to limit sodium as much as possible... My 2 cents.
An additional thought I have is that I am not sure if the protein quality of canned chicken may also be degraded by the canning process. Example: Out of 6 grams of protein per ounce of canned chicken, if 2 grams are denatured this is useless compared to high quality bioavailable protein. Any nutritionists out there know anything about canned protein quality/bioavailability?
You let chicken go for 7 days? I wasn't sure how long it can sit in the fridge for without going bad. I just ate like 8 egg whites because I wasn't sure about the chicken in the fridge. I cooked it on Wednesday. Whaddaya' think?

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
I actually cook a 4lb bag of breasts and it never lasts more than 2 days....

You let chicken go for 7 days? I wasn't sure how long it can sit in the fridge for without going bad. I just ate like 8 egg whites because I wasn't sure about the chicken in the fridge. I cooked it on Wednesday. Whaddaya' think?

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
I actually cook a 4lb bag of breasts and it never lasts more than 2 days....
I don't mean "lasts" like "doesn't get eaten" I mean "lasts" like "doesn't go bad."

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
...I just ate like 8 egg whites because I wasn't sure about the chicken in the fridge. I cooked it on Wednesday. Whaddaya' think?

Good article called "Are you a Breast Man?": http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/48

I took this out of one of the paragraphs:

Rule #6: Pack It and Store It
While nothing matches the taste of fresh-cooked chicken, grilling several breasts at once is more convenient for time-starved trainees. But then there’s the problem of what to do with them. Keeping cooked chicken in the fridge longer than three days is risky, so use your freezer for leftovers. A vacuum sealer (foodsaver.jardendirect.com) can stamp out freezer burn and extend a chicken’s frozen life. Just make sure you don’t extend it too long — chicken frozen longer than four months should be thrown out.

When cooking and storing chicken in batches, cool and refrigerate (or freeze) it within two hours. Don’t store it while it’s still hot. Use airtight containers to prevent chicken from drying out, losing some of its nutritional value and taking on surrounding refrigerator flavors, von Bargen advises. When it comes to reheating leftovers in the microwave, “use a low heat setting and cover the dish; both retain moisture and flavor,” he explains. Adding a little broth or water also helps

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
One more observation on canned meat.

You are paying for WATER WEIGHT. I found that I really do not have as much protein as listed in canned meat like tuna or chicken because if you drain the water you will find that you do not have the servings listed on the label. Very Far from it.
Sure you can argue this just like the fact if I have an overcooked dry chicken breast or "jerky", hehe.. it will have higher protein to weight ration that a big juicy breast.... Still I feel that canned meats are overly watered down and those are not the natural juices of the pure cut of meat that was put in there. I may be wrong, since I do not full know what is done in the canning process..

...I just read the lable of my canned chicken and additional water and broth are added thus weighing down the product. If you take out the water and drain it you are left with probably 3grams (rough guess)of protein per "canned ounce"...

bmur

Awards
i love the Tyson canned chicken

tastes great..only downpart is the cost

like 4$ per can..which contains 5 servings

kkschaef

kkschaef

Awards
I'm not a fan of canned chicken. Way too much sodium in it. In a pinch I will have but I rinse it like I do my tuna to rinse out some of the sodium.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I usually keep cooked chicken in my fridge for up to 6-7days and never had problems.

bryan4592

Awards
I've used canned chicken several times when Im crunched for time. Make sure to rinse it with hot water to decrease the sodium.

soundcheck129

Awards
I love it, real convenient when I get sick of tuna, though a bit pricier.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea i eat canned chicken all the time due to being in college and can't have my foreman grill

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bringing this thread back from the dead.

After driaining a 12.5oz can of chicken you're left with a max of 7 1/2oz of meat.

One more observation on canned meat.

You are paying for WATER WEIGHT. I found that I really do not have as much protein as listed in canned meat like tuna or chicken because if you drain the water you will find that you do not have the servings listed on the label. Very Far from it.
Sure you can argue this just like the fact if I have an overcooked dry chicken breast or "jerky", hehe.. it will have higher protein to weight ration that a big juicy breast.... Still I feel that canned meats are overly watered down and those are not the natural juices of the pure cut of meat that was put in there. I may be wrong, since I do not full know what is done in the canning process..

...I just read the lable of my canned chicken and additional water and broth are added thus weighing down the product. If you take out the water and drain it you are left with probably 3grams (rough guess)of protein per "canned ounce"...

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Seems like it's too good to be true. All the nutrition of chicken breast with all the convenience of tuna. How do you guys like this canned chicken breast?
It's so cheap at Sam's Club. Ironically, I'm heading to make meal 6 right now, albacore, it's 60g of protein per can. The canned chicken is what I always use to put in my omelets or put in chicken broth to make soup. I also make a whole wheat pizza that's killer, with the canned chicken as well. It's already tender and can be shredded with a fork, even works in tacos.

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
cooked meats in general should not be eaten after 48 hours and vegetables last 72 hours those are the health guidelines I learned studying nutrition in college

morry

morry

Awards
  • Established
that is a gross over generalization.

but I agree and used to eat a lot of canned chic. Keeps you bloated from the sodium bro and will let your weight fluctuate as a result.

Stick to cooking the chicken and only use canned when in a pinch.

I also got a lot more size off of fresh chic IMO

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
cooked meats in general should not be eaten after 48 hours and vegetables last 72 hours those are the health guidelines I learned studying nutrition in college
Really? I eat leftovers for a week or more.