Diet help, need more whole foods

glipp

glipp

Awards
I rely on alot of protein shakes in this diet and it is an increase in calories from a cut diet I used to lose about 20 lbs. recently. Now I am looking to do a clean bulk but I am suspecting the diet relies too much on protein shakes and not enough real foods as well as some other mistakes ie: V-8 juice in place of veggies. Anyway suggestions would be appreciated, here goes: My stats are 6'2" 214 lbs. 18% bf.

Meal 1

Bagel, 5 hardboiled eggs (1 w/ yolk, 4 whites only), 1 tbsp olive oil

Meal 2

Oatmeal, 1 scoop whey protein

Meal 3

Blended protein shake (whey, milk, and egg), bannana

Meal 4

1 1/2 cups cottage cheese, 2 slices whole wheat bread, V- 8 Juice, 1 tbsp. olive oil

Meal 5

Blended protein shake, bannana

Meal 6

Whey protein shake, apple

Meal 7

Chicken breast, V-8 Juice, Potato, 1 tbsp olive oil

Pre workout meal

Blended Protein, bannana

Post workout meal

32 oz. Gatorade, 1 scoop blended protein, 3/4 scoop whey protein, 1 tbsp olive oil

meal 10

oatmeal, 3/4 cup milk

Works out to approx. 3600 cal. 230 gm carb 230 gm pro 114 gm fat.

tattoopierced1

you could throw some fish in there to replace some of the protein shakes. I go to sam's club and buy tilapia, salmon (great for Omega 3's), orange roughy, etc.. and almost all of them you just pop in the oven for 20 minutes and they are good to go. You can precook them, throw them into a tupperware container and have a quick and easy whole food protein meal ready for you.

I like throwing in some lean steaks too, I do have to admit though, I love me some steak, so I'll make any excuse to eat one.

glipp

glipp

Awards
you could throw some fish in there to replace some of the protein shakes. I go to sam's club and buy tilapia, salmon (great for Omega 3's), orange roughy, etc.. and almost all of them you just pop in the oven for 20 minutes and they are good to go. You can precook them, throw them into a tupperware container and have a quick and easy whole food protein meal ready for you.

I like throwing in some lean steaks too, I do have to admit though, I love me some steak, so I'll make any excuse to eat one.
Salmon sounds good, throw in some steak like you said too. Thanks. What do people think about the Cal and # of meals? Cal about ballpark for my weight and bf trying to clean bulk? Think I will add veggies instead of V-8 (brocholli, etc.)

Last edited:
slipd

slipd

Awards
Salmon sounds good, throw in some steak like you said too. Thanks. What do people think about the Cal and # of meals? Cal about ballpark for my weight and bf trying to clean bulk? Think I will add veggies instead of V-8 (brocholli, etc.)
Is there a typo in your macros? It only adds up to 2866 cals.

While I do think 18% is too high to bulk, if you go ahead with it I think you should cut down on the fruit and gatorade. Maybe something like this:

Meal 1
1.25 cups oats
2 whole eggs
6 egg whites

Meal 2
1 can tuna
2 slices high fiber whole wheat bread
1 med. banana

Meal 3
1.25 cups oats
1 cup skim milk
2 scoops whey

Meal 4
1.5 cups sweet potatoes
6 oz chicken breast
1 cup broccoli

Meal 5
1 cup brown rice
6 oz sirloin

Meal 6
1T heavy cream
2T natural peanut butter
2 scoops whey

Macros:
Calories: 3575
Fat: 79g - 20%
Cho: 357g - 38%
Pro: 389g - 42%

-slip

Last edited:
glipp

glipp

Awards
Is there a typo in your macros? It only adds up to 2866 cals.

While I do think 18% is too high to bulk, if you go ahead with it I think you should cut down on the fruit and gatorade. Maybe something like this:

Meal 1
1.25 cups oats
2 whole eggs
6 egg whites

Meal 2
1 can tuna
2 slices high fiber whole wheat bread
1 med. banana

Meal 3
1.25 cups oats
1 cup skim milk
2 scoops whey

Meal 4
1.5 cups sweet potatoes
6 oz chicken breast
1 cup broccoli

Meal 5
1 cup brown rice
6 oz sirloin

Meal 6
1T heavy cream
2T natural peanut butter
2 scoops whey

Macros:
Calories: 3575
Fat: 79g - 20%
Cho: 357g - 38%
Pro: 389g - 42%

-slip

Maybe I was off a bit, I did adjust this from a cut diet I used and maybe I messed up in adjusting it up. Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone know if there are there any good books out there for putting together a solid diet. You know a book you could use to build a solid maintanence diet, cut diet and bulking diet? I think this would help me. Thanks in advance for any help.