Do excess carbs get stored as fat?

kruzedgar

kruzedgar

Awards
I know there is a % that does get stored as fat but I was told the other day that this amount is negligible. Is this true? Surely this means then that carbs before bed wont make you fat?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depending upon the degree of your glycogen depletion, whether it be from training or just plain depletion in situations of carb restricted diets, or insulin resistance, excess carbs will for most, especially if hypocaloric, result in fat accumulations. Unless you are training late, taking carbs in excess before bed is not the best time.

kruzedgar

kruzedgar

Awards
Depending upon the degree of your glycogen depletion, whether it be from training or just plain depletion in situations of carb restricted diets, or insulin resistance, excess carbs will for most, especially if hypocaloric, result in fat accumulations. Unless you are training late, taking carbs in excess before bed is not the best time.
This is what I thought! But this guy is telling me like his life depends on it, using loads of terms that sound like they are coming out of a biology text book, that carbs just dont make you fat. He says it the insulin from the carbs causing fat to be stored?

kruzedgar

kruzedgar

Awards
He also recomended a nutritional break down like this:

Meal protein carbs fat
1 60 100 30
2 60 100 0
3 60 100 0
4 60 100 0
5 60 100 0
6 60 100 0

Thats all grams by the way!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Meal protein carbs fat
1 60 100 30
2 60 100 0
3 60 100 0
4 60 100 0
5 60 100 0
6 60 100 0

That equates to:

360 grams of protein for 1440 calories
600 grams of carbs for 3600 calories
30 grams of fat for 270 calories

Thats a total of 5310 calories and a macro% of 27/63/10

Unless you are an ectomorph and or 260lbs or more and on steroids I see you getting fat real quick.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is what I thought! But this guy is telling me like his life depends on it, using loads of terms that sound like they are coming out of a biology text book, that carbs just dont make you fat. He says it the insulin from the carbs causing fat to be stored?
Ask him if he knows anything about fatty acid synthesis and acetyl-CoA/malonyl-CoA elongation.

In aerobic respiration, carbs break down to acetyl-CoA for entrance into the krebs cycle and ATP(energy) synthesis. When energy becomes excessive(lots of carbs), glucose and acetyl-coa shift to pro-fatty synthesis by activation of the enzyme acetyl-coa carboxylase. This active enzyme begins the process of fat synthesis by adding two carbon units(acetyle-coa aka carbs) in a synchronized fashion to form a pure 18 carbon fatty acid chain.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established

Meal protein carbs fat
1 60 100 30
2 60 100 0
3 60 100 0
4 60 100 0
5 60 100 0
6 60 100 0

Well, based on this recommendation we know that they do not know what they are talking about. Just ignore them, get a book or two on human nutrition/metabolism and learn. That type of macronutrient breakdown is way too imbalanced.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
Therefore, eating carbs ==> Insulin secreted ==> fat!

Eating carbs WILL result in insulin being produced.

Sugars will result in a large amount of insulin being released in a short amount of time (Insulin spike). Therefore, soft drinks are extremely fattening.

Complex carbo (and those with lots of fibre, e.g. Oats) will result in a slow release of sugars into the body, and less insulin being secreted per unit time. :) Therefore, complex and fibrous carbohydrates are less fattening.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He says it the insulin from the carbs causing fat to be stored?
This is "guns don't kill people, bullets kill people" logic. You don't get the bullet without the gun. Avoid the gun, you avoid the bullet.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
What about carbs in Milk and Yogurt? Would that make me fat? I drink a lot of milk near the end of my day. Is this a bad thing?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In excess anything will add fat, even protein. There is a chance that late evening consumption of large amounts of carbs could be less utilized(due to less activity), and thus more likly to be stored as fat.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
In excess anything will add fat, even protein. There is a chance that late evening consumption of large amounts of carbs could be less utilized(due to less activity), and thus more likly to be stored as fat.

hmm so what about cassein shakes and cottage cheese? wouldnt those be turned into fat as well? Im trying to get to 170 but its hard eating most of my daily 4,000 calories before 5 PM. Would you like to see a sample of my diet so you could help me out with my meals later in the day?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That equates to:

360 grams of protein for 1440 calories
600 grams of carbs for 3600 calories--should be 2400
30 grams of fat for 270 calories

Thats a total of 5310 [4210] calories and a macro% of 27/63/10 [34/57/9]

Unless you are an ectomorph and or 260lbs or more and on steroids I see you getting fat real quick.
My numbers were off!!! My bad.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmm so what about cassein shakes and cottage cheese? wouldnt those be turned into fat as well? Im trying to get to 170 but its hard eating most of my daily 4,000 calories before 5 PM. Would you like to see a sample of my diet so you could help me out with my meals later in the day?
Carbs are a primary energy source to fuel basic movement and physical activity. If you eat a lot later in the day when movement and activity are greatly decreased then it has nothing of importance to do except go into storage.

Proteins on the other hand are used in a variety of different physiological process such as tissue repair, cellular growth, urea synthesis, transketolation reactions, synthesis of other amino acids, etc, etc. It's not involved, primarily, in energy production for physical movement. It has a lot of other things in the body it can be used for before it results in storage. Cottage cheese and protein will be just fine in the evening. Keep in mind, however, that as long as you eat in excess(regardless of what it is) the body will store those calories. That's why it's called bulking... or gaining weight.:D

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends. Carbs in excess are more likely to get stored as fat. Theres no doubt that its hard to take in the calories without the carbs. You really start getting down to chicken breast, tuna fish, etc.

the volume of carbs matters too though. In cottage cheese if you are taking in 30g of protein its still only 10g of carbs. So its more about bending the overall schedule of your macros. The cottage cheese with peach slices is fine for breakfast, the cottage cheese with no sugar added peanut butter is better later. Thats one of the reasons the casein shake works well, its slow digesting, but only has 4g of carbs to 23g of protein. So less insulin spike. And its important to not have that insulin spike close to bed, as it could blunt the GH release too.

My thought would be that if you are going for 40p/40c/20f, your early meals should be more like 35p/55c/10f and the later meals going towards 55p/15c/30f. Of course the timing does depend on when your workout is too somewhat.

Did that make sense?

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
It depends. Carbs in excess are more likely to get stored as fat. Theres no doubt that its hard to take in the calories without the carbs. You really start getting down to chicken breast, tuna fish, etc.

the volume of carbs matters too though. In cottage cheese if you are taking in 30g of protein its still only 10g of carbs. So its more about bending the overall schedule of your macros. The cottage cheese with peach slices is fine for breakfast, the cottage cheese with no sugar added peanut butter is better later. Thats one of the reasons the casein shake works well, its slow digesting, but only has 4g of carbs to 23g of protein. So less insulin spike. And its important to not have that insulin spike close to bed, as it could blunt the GH release too.

My thought would be that if you are going for 40p/40c/20f, your early meals should be more like 35p/55c/10f and the later meals going towards 55p/15c/30f. Of course the timing does depend on when your workout is too somewhat.

Did that make sense?

Yes that is a big help to me. Im going to have to eat Pasta eariler in the day. Maybe around lunch and before I go to school. This would make eating more food easier. And fish could be my 5 PM meal.

If I decide to drink milk at the end of the day, EVOO would be a good idea to add right to blunt the insulin spike? Xodus told me to do that but I have been forgetting to do that. And how much EVOO would be suitabable? 1 tsp? 1 tbsp?

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Carbs are a primary energy source to fuel basic movement and physical activity. If you eat a lot later in the day when movement and activity are greatly decreased then it has nothing of importance to do except go into storage.

Proteins on the other hand are used in a variety of different physiological process such as tissue repair, cellular growth, urea synthesis, transketolation reactions, synthesis of other amino acids, etc, etc. It's not involved, primarily, in energy production for physical movement. It has a lot of other things in the body it can be used for before it results in storage. Cottage cheese and protein will be just fine in the evening. Keep in mind, however, that as long as you eat in excess(regardless of what it is) the body will store those calories. That's why it's called bulking... or gaining weight.:D
I know what carbs and proteins do and what could happen if too many are consumed and not used in the body. Will all the excess calories turn into fat? I would think some would turn into muscle, right? If your diet is in-line and your traning is geared for muslce growth, of course.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes, that will help. any amount added will help, don't forget that 1 tbsp of evoo is another 150ish calories. I'd go with the tbsp. tuning my eating this way has really helped me a lot as far as loosing fat goes. I still have days where the 6pm meal has significant carbs, but its not all that frequent. I figure anything under 15g or so of "natural" carbs other than sugar when taken in with at least 40-50g combined of fat/protein doesn't make a huge difference insulin wise or additional fat storage wise.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
yes, that will help. any amount added will help, don't forget that 1 tbsp of evoo is another 150ish calories. I'd go with the tbsp. tuning my eating this way has really helped me a lot as far as loosing fat goes. I still have days where the 6pm meal has significant carbs, but its not all that frequent. I figure anything under 15g or so of "natural" carbs other than sugar when taken in with at least 40-50g combined of fat/protein doesn't make a huge difference insulin wise or additional fat storage wise.
The more calories the better. Im getting sick of Pasta.

What are your meals past 6PM like if any?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
pretty much at that point shakes only. If I have something solid it would be something leftover meatwise, a couple hardboiled eggs or lowfat cottage cheese. I go with lowfat rather than regular or fatfree as it has the best protein to carbs ratio.

Carbs from broccoli or asparagus or leafy vegetables isn't too bad either. with them you get so much fill factor per g of carbs that so long as there is protein + fat there you wont see noticeable insulin. 1 cup of broccoli has 6 grams of carbs (but 2 are fiber) and 3g of protein. pour a half cup of melted cheddar cheese over it (22g fat, 1g carb, 16g protein), and drink a syntrax lemonade with it (1g fat, 3g carb, 24g protein), and its a pretty filling snack/meal :)

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I know there is a % that does get stored as fat but I was told the other day that this amount is negligible. Is this true? Surely this means then that carbs before bed wont make you fat?
Once your glycogen stores are full, yes your body will store carbs as fat for later use.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I decide to drink milk at the end of the day, EVOO would be a good idea to add right to blunt the insulin spike? Xodus told me to do that but I have been forgetting to do that. And how much EVOO would be suitabable? 1 tsp? 1 tbsp?
If you enjoy milk later in the evening and your worried about carb consumption, look into hood's calorie control milk. Has about 3-5gr carbs, 8-10gr protein per 8oz and taste great, especially chocolate. Throw in a tsp of sugar free instant pudding and you have a good recipe for a light, light protein shake.

kruzedgar

kruzedgar

Awards
Ask him if he knows anything about fatty acid synthesis and acetyl-CoA/malonyl-CoA elongation.

In aerobic respiration, carbs break down to acetyl-CoA for entrance into the krebs cycle and ATP(energy) synthesis. When energy becomes excessive(lots of carbs), glucose and acetyl-coa shift to pro-fatty synthesis by activation of the enzyme acetyl-coa carboxylase. This active enzyme begins the process of fat synthesis by adding two carbon units(acetyle-coa aka carbs) in a synchronized fashion to form a pure 18 carbon fatty acid chain.
Well thanks for all your input people. I've gone back with the above and awaiting a reply from him.