Just got done reading 'The Metabolic Diet'

JDF

Awards
  • Established
I just finished reading the book and I am going to start in on Monday, my current diet is probably; 50% protein, 25% fat, and 25% carb so this isn't that far off of what I think i'll need to do.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips they'd like to share about their first 12days of about 30g carbs?

I was also thinking i'll try for around 2000cal a day to start since I am trying to cut b/f right now, any thoughts on that?

I am currently doing a 5day split concentrating on each of the major bodyparts 1 day a week and cardio 1-3 days a week of HIIT, should i continue with this split on the Metabolic Diet or change it up? I've done the full body 3 times a week split before but I am just not a big fan of it.

I am 25yrs old, 5'7, 220lbs, and probably about 18-20% b/f. I am looking to get down to around 10-12% by May or June if possible.

Thanks for you input!

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Don't restrict cals during the introductory phase. That makes it ROUGH.

Also, I'd make the diet quite high in fat for the 2 weeks. Like 60-70% fat. This forces strong fat adaptation, along with the higher cals.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Neil is correct. You don't want to restrict calories during the assesment phase of the diet. In fact don't even worry about how many calories you are eating just make sure you eat enough fat. Also a fiber supplement is a good idea. If you start to feel really tired take the recommended amount of extra potassium that is mentioned in the book.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
Im pretty excited to see what kind of results I can turn out with this diet. The same week I start my diet I have my last 2 week run of the ECA before cycling off for awhile, while on this diet I plan on running:

my multi
fish oil
DCP
GTE
ZMT ( bulk caps )
ALA
CLA

and possibly some creatine monohydrate

I also have some yohimbie, should I run this while on the diet? Any recommendations on how much I should run ( 2.5g twice daily? )

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
I'd hold off on the yohimbine for now. Try dosing the fish oil at 20-40g for a month or so during the low carb portion and see the results you get. I'd skip the fish oil when carb loading since it reduces insulin levels.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
any one have positive results maybe with pics of what the diet has done for them?

slipd

slipd

Awards
Good advice on not cutting calories during the induction phase. I made the mistake of eating 2000-2200 cals/day and crashed hard on days 4,5 and 6. I'm in my 4th week now and stamina/energy have started to return.

-slip

Eject

Eject

Awards
Watch for hidden carbs including pre-training supplementation and even your EFA's (flax seed oil and etc) can add up. if you eat 6x ED thats less than 5g CARB each meal.

just watch the carbs, try to keep the foods clean too, and watch your sodium intake.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
What EFA oil has carbs in it?

I don't see a purpose in needlessly restricting sodium. Just salt to taste with sea salt.

justing

Awards
u said make sure you eat enough fat. what is enuff fat. I think im gonna start this diet for cutting but it seems a** backwards. Like eating all the bacon, butter, beef and chesse sounds like it would make me fat. im gonna try it anyway, i just dont understand it completely.
do your muscles feel flat with no carbs? i would like to hear some peoples ideas about this diet.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
u said make sure you eat enough fat. what is enuff fat. I think im gonna start this diet for cutting but it seems a** backwards. Like eating all the bacon, butter, beef and chesse sounds like it would make me fat. im gonna try it anyway, i just dont understand it completely.
do your muscles feel flat with no carbs? i would like to hear some peoples ideas about this diet.

40% fat is the minimum once on the diet, but I'd do 50-70% when on adaptation phase.

If you ate all the bacon, butter, beef, and cheese, you're not gonna cut.

Eat lean cuts of meat, whole eggs, lots of vegetables, and use lots of fish or cod liver oil, olive oil, etc. Butter is fine just practice moderation like even with olive oil. Low carb cheese is okay if you want it in the diet. I don't recommend bacon for health reasons.

Your muscles won't feel flat after a carb load. Later in the week they will start to flatten if you do no carbs PWO, but if you do PWO carbs then this isn't as much an issue. Often it's said to put your most important workout soon after the carb load, and maybe reps in the 3-7 range later in the week. Just an idea, but PWO carbs help keep the muscles fueled.

skunkman

Awards
any one have positive results maybe with pics of what the diet has done for them?
I don't think pictures would show a whole lot atm. What I do know is that being a FFB i have seen a "leaning" out of sorts. This is probably the effect of less water retention and a little fat loss. (3lbs) For me its most apparent late Tuesday to Friday.

My energy levels and emotions have stabilized to a great extent. I feel as if I have more control of my psyche eating this way. This is were i have experienced the best benefits with this diet.

As far as physical results go I believe that you need to find out what works for you. I find that eating this way helps me think, feel, and look better. WRT the AD I would say that it is certainly worth a good 4-6 weeks of experimenting with. I believe I will be a lifer.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
are you specifically following THIS diet, DW? or a CKD in general?
well i as doing my orginal body weight in protein (200) then ~30gr/day in carbs and the rest fat to meet my calorie's. I started at 3,200 and droped it ever 2 weeks by about 200-250cals or so 3,200/3,000/2,750/2,500 hope that helps a little.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
40% fat is the minimum once on the diet, but I'd do 50-70% when on adaptation phase.

If you ate all the bacon, butter, beef, and cheese, you're not gonna cut.

Eat lean cuts of meat, whole eggs, lots of vegetables, and use lots of fish or cod liver oil, olive oil, etc. Butter is fine just practice moderation like even with olive oil. Low carb cheese is okay if you want it in the diet. I don't recommend bacon for health reasons.

Your muscles won't feel flat after a carb load. Later in the week they will start to flatten if you do no carbs PWO, but if you do PWO carbs then this isn't as much an issue. Often it's said to put your most important workout soon after the carb load, and maybe reps in the 3-7 range later in the week. Just an idea, but PWO carbs help keep the muscles fueled.

All the fat doesn't have to be "Good Fats". Olive Oil is great, you can add it to shakes, put on top of chicken. There is no such thing as too much olive oil on this diet. You can have steak and read meat, but I wouldn't recommend super lean cuts. I have been on this diet for years. Believe it or not I get better results when I eat MORE fat. Just eat smaller portions. You can take a huge steak and divide it into three meals. The extra fat will satisfy your hunger, so you will end up eating less calories through the entire day. You should however eat a variety of meats. Just to let you know though red meat really helps you out on this diet. There is a list of suggested foods for the assement phase of the diet in the book. If you purchase a book or a supplement from The Metabolic Diet website you get a whole host of new resources, F.A.Q.S, articles....

frizzlerock

frizzlerock

Awards
  • Established
subbed as well.... DW or T-bone whats your cholesterol & triglyercerides look like?

JDF

Awards
  • Established
I dont remember whether the book said to count or not to count carbs that come in the form of fiber?

Should I subtract the fiber contact from total carbs or just look at total carbs and thats that?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont remember whether the book said to count or not to count carbs that come in the form of fiber?

Should I subtract the fiber contact from total carbs or just look at total carbs and thats that?

You should subtract the fiber.