Non-training protein

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am looking to supplement my mothers protein intake for her post oral surgery recovery.

She is not in need of a quick digesting protein, but rather one that serves as a meal addition or supplement throughout . One that is pleasant tasting, easily mixed and maybe even consumed through a straw is ideal.

I am terrible when it comes to buying protein for people who want all of those characteristics because I buy cheap and without regard to taste and mixability.

Here is the catagory that I searched in at NutraPlanet:
Search Results For: casein

Here are three that I narrowed it down to based on cost, volume and profile:

100% Casein (4 lbs) By: Optimum Nutrition

Micellar Matrix (2.5 lb) By: ISS Research

Matrix 5.0 (5 lb) By: Syntrax

I realize you get what you pay for but I am not interested in going to a 'protein site' to get a custom blend at a high premium. Please give me some feedback and or advice if you could.

Thanks.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey B. I have been using the ON Casein Chocholate and it tastes amazing. I don't even mix it with milk and it still get a thick consistency if you don't add too much water. I've also used the Cookies and Cream by Matrix, but I really don't like that sort of flavour but my sister who liked it said it was great. I've got no experience with the ISS product unfortunately.

So try and figure out what her flavour preferences are, and if she likes chocolate I would say the ON is a good bet, or if she likes the C'n'C give the matrix a shot. Also I've heard some people that are quite happy with Cytosport's EvoPro.

Good luck with it :)

Dagron

Dagron

Awards
Micellar Matrix was pretty rank when I tried it a few years ago. Good profile, though.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Micellar Matrix reviews on NP were not too good.

I'm leaning towards the ON 100% Casein, Vanilla and Chocolate.

EDIT: EvoPro profile looks good.
EvoPro (2.25 lb) By: Cytosport

More user feedback would be appreciated.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established

Out of those choices, I would pick Micellar Matrix although I find their flavoring a little on tha bland side personally.

ON Chocolate tastes pretty good to me but is very thick due to additional thickeners. This could pose a problem with using a straw. If she doesn't mind milkshake thickness, by all means...

I think you need to do more homework on Syntrax/Matrix 5.0 for "obvious" reasons.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
EDIT: EvoPro profile looks good.
EvoPro (2.25 lb) By: Cytosport
Only had Cookies and Cream so personal feedback was limited but I found it to clump quite a bit, more so than what I view as typical. I assume if a blender bottle was used, this would not be a problem... blender bottles are good investments.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Out of those choices, I would pick Micellar Matrix although I find their flavoring a little on tha bland side personally.

ON Chocolate tastes pretty good to me but is very thick due to additional thickeners. This could pose a problem with using a straw. If she doesn't mind milkshake thickness, by all means...

I think you need to do more homework on Syntrax/Matrix 5.0 for "obvious" reasons.
Ahhh....the Protein Professional has replied.

The Micellar Matrix did not get very good reviews for things like what you mentioned so I passed on that one.

Yes, the Syntrax/Matrix 5.0 had some obvious reasons why I did not select that one.

I went with the ON 100% Casein (Vanilla and Chocolate) as it is slow released and is an ideal substitute/supppement to meals if necessary.

Hey...would you start a thread in this forum and educate us on MPI, Casein, WPI and WPC and their characteristics, both positive and negative, as well as their respective intake applications for pre, post, daytime and bedtime.

Come on! Be a pal! :D

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
B, I have only tried Banana Micellar Matrix and it is very good. My only issue is that the xanthan gum in it makes it sit really heavy in my stomach. Flavorwise, it is identical to Mass Meal and UP 2.0 [chemical but not that strong] but it tastes a little different because of its profile [e.g. not that much fat and carbs in it unlike the other two].

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback machinehead.

I went and ordered the ON because I needed to get my order in so I can get it out and here before Friday of next week.

I'm sure she'll be satified either way. Plus I can get the opportunity to try it out myself.

I never buy protein on line because I hate paying for shipping. But I added her stuff to my shopping cart and it brought me to the free shipping price :D

If she likes it, or wants to try something different, I can do the same with my next order and bump that one to free shipping as well. ;)

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Hey...would you start a thread in this forum and educate us on MPI, Casein, WPI and WPC and their characteristics, both positive and negative, as well as their respective intake applications for pre, post, daytime and bedtime.

Come on! Be a pal! :D
I'd consider it, but my knowledge on tha subject does not extend any further than those descriptions given at True Protein.com (it's a good resource)... Now, if Customizer wasn't so busy it would be nice to hear his additional interpretations on each source. I'll email him regardless... maybe he'll post-up.

size

Awards
  • Established
I absolutely love the Beverly Ultimate Muscle Protein. It is expensive but for me it is my top choice.