- 01-14-2008, 12:38 AM
- 01-14-2008, 12:38 AM
im talkin about the pills.
- 01-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Improves lipids, can help manage mood/depression (does this quite well IME), can help prevent various cancers, reduce stroke/heart attacks...a bunch more I'm forgetting....definitely should be a staple...
01-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Would have to agree that it should be a staple in your diet. Your body requires healthy EFAs (essential fatty acids) not only to run your day to day bodily functions, but its a key in building muscle mass. There are even some proponents of "mega-dosing" fish oils on the order of 30-50g per day. Although I'm not sure I'm completely on board with that yet. If you don't take any now you can pick up large quantities at your local wholesale store (BJ's, Costco, etc.) for pretty cheap or you can get them online for cheap as well. I'd start at 9g/day and see how it works for you. Here is an quick article to answer your question.
Research studies show fish oil benefits are down right amazing.
And knowing this is the second most important thing you can do for your health. (We'll get to #1 in importance soon.)
Studies are published almost daily as the scientific community discovers more and more of the many extraordinary omega 3 fish oil benefits.
If you haven't already been swept up in the net yet, here are 7 proven omega 3 benefits you should know about.
1. Less Pain and Inflammation. Omega 3 fatty acids, particularly EPA, have a very positive effect on your inflammatory response. Through several mechanisms, they regulate your body's inflammation cycle, which prevents and relieves painful conditions like arthritis, prostatitis, cystitis and anything else ending in "itis."
2. Cardiovascular Health. Omega 3 fatty acids have also been proven to work wonders for your heart and the miles and miles of arteries and veins that make up your cardiovascular system. They help to lower cholesterol, tryglicerides, LDLs and blood pressure, while at the same time increasing good HDL cholesterol. This adds years to your life expectancy.
3. Protection from Stroke and Heart Attack. When plaque builds up on arterial walls and then breaks loose, it causes what's known as a thrombosis, which is a fancy way of saying clot. If a clot gets stuck in the brain, it causes a stroke and when it plugs an artery, it causes a heart attack. Research shows omega 3 fatty acids break up clots before they can cause any damage.
4. Better Brain Function and Higher Intelligence. Pregnant and nursing mothers can have a great impact on the intelligence and happiness of their babies by supplementing with fish oil. For adults, omega 3 improves memory, recall, reasoning and focus. You'll swear you're getting younger and smarter.
5. Less Depression and Psychosis. Making you smarter is not all omega 3 does for your brain. Psychiatry department researchers at the University of Sheffield, along with many other research studies, found that omega 3 fish oil supplements "alleviate" the symptoms of depression, bipolar and psychosis (Journal of Affective Disorder Vol. 48(2-3);149-55).
6. Lower Incidence of Childhood Disorders. Just to show how fish oil fatty acids leave nobody out, studies show that children (and adults) with ADD and ADHD experience a greatly improved quality of life. And those with dyslexia, dyspraxia and compulsive disorders have gotten a new lease on life thanks to omega 3 oils.
7. Reduction of Breast, Colon and Prostate Cancer. And finally, omega 3 fish oil has been shown to help prevent three of the most common forms of cancer – breast, colon and prostate. Science tells us that omega 3s accomplish this in three ways. They stop the alteration from a normal healthy cell to a cancerous mass, inhibiting unwanted cellular growth and causing apoptosis, or cellular death, of cancer cells.
So you can see why knowing these benefits is the second most important thing you can do for your health. Can you guess what number one is?
That's right! Now it's time to put your knowledge to work. Eat more cold water oily fish and start taking good quality pure omega 3 fish oil supplements regularly.
Copyright by Michael Byrd. All Rights Reserved.
Here also is another link revolving more around bodybuilding. (I know its BB.com, but its rather informative)
Good luck and feel free to toss out any more questions you might have.
01-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Similar Forum Threads
- By windwords7 in forum SupplementsReplies: 45Last Post: 06-10-2005, 06:14 PM
- By Rock Lee in forum SupplementsReplies: 8Last Post: 06-27-2004, 12:02 PM
- By Jcc in forum SupplementsReplies: 0Last Post: 01-09-2004, 09:39 PM
- By Gaf Knee in forum SupplementsReplies: 1Last Post: 08-13-2003, 02:27 PM
- By YellowJacket in forum SupplementsReplies: 10Last Post: 02-19-2003, 11:52 AM