blood test

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.13%

blood test

just wondering if anyone might have some info on high liver enzyme levels. i got mine back and (ast) was 149 should be 0-40 and (alt) was 91 should be 0-46. i dont drink use drugs or smoke. the only supplement i was taking prior to the test was protein and possibly v12 creatine. i was kind of concerned, i quite all supplements i am taking and waiting a few weeks and taking another test again.
    i researched a bit on this and found out that ast plays a role in the metabolism of amino acid alaine, and alt enzyme helps metabolize protein. i ordered a bunch of things offline and obviously want to use them just dont want them to make things worse.
    i was thinking it might be excessive amounts of protein. it there is anyone that might know anything it would help, thanks

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

There is another thread going right now about liver enzymes of people who take Tylenol. Do you take tylenol regularly?

What has your doctor reccomended? Personally, I'd be taking milk thistle and NAC, but I'm not a doctor nor am I reccomending you do that.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.13%

i dont take tylenol or anything of that nature. i have a good diet, lift regularly. my doc recommended to quit all supplements, so i did. wait two weeks and test again. im hoping it is just an overworked liver nothing major. can protein do that? also what is nac?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Lifting itself can raise liver enzyme levels. NAC (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) stands for N-Acetyl Cystine. It helps get rid of toxins from the liver. Its used in hospitals for Tylenol overdose to detox the liver.

Protein is processed primarily by the kidneys i believe. I don't think (but could be wrong) that excess protien would raise liver enzymes.
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.67%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    Lifting itself can raise liver enzyme levels. NAC (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) stands for N-Acetyl Cystine. It helps get rid of toxins from the liver. Its used in hospitals for Tylenol overdose to detox the liver.

Protein is processed primarily by the kidneys i believe. I don't think (but could be wrong) that excess protien would raise liver enzymes.
    NAC is absolutely hepato-protective by binding to toxic metabolites thus protecting liver hepatocyte cells and preserving liver function. It's the staple drug used in Acetaminophen overdose by either IV or oral route. It is also used as a mucolytic that helps dissolve mucus plugs and such. The horrible rotten egg/sulfur smell usually deters people from the oral route, so IV route is usually of choice for administration. Excessive protein intake can certainly alter LFT's to a degree.

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

6. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.13%

thanks for the help. so i should just do as the doc says and hopefully everything is fine? then take nac and milk thistle while taking supplements?
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Thats what I'd do. Follow his advice. I wouldn't supplement with NAC and milk thistle until after he retests you. It might mask a problem.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 12:28 PM
  2. Blood test
    By MarcusG in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 06:29 PM
  3. blood tests for UA?
    By dr.mattdogg in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 09:47 PM
  4. Blood Testing: AAS