Calling a Doctor....

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So...in the past I have had an endoscopy done where they told me that I have a sliding hatial(sp) hernia which was the cause of my chronic acid reflux that I now take Aciphex everyday for. They also told me that I had a reactive stomach lining but no ulcer. This all stemmed from a peroid of time where I would throw up first thing in the morning seemingly unprovoked. Well, it is happening again and I am throwing up what looks like blood to me. It is really dark brownish color and looks as if someone through some Skoal into the toilet. This is happening first thing in the morning. I have an appointment scheduled for tommorrow but was looking for some insight from all of you. Thanks in advance. Yes I do drink when I am off cycle (which I am) but not a ridiculous amount and I only eat spicy food once in a while. I guess my question is does this sound like a bleeding ulcer to any of you? I have not pooped anything that looks like blood either by the way.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So...in the past I have had an endoscopy done where they told me that I have a sliding hatial(sp) hernia which was the cause of my chronic acid reflux that I now take Aciphex everyday for. They also told me that I had a reactive stomach lining but no ulcer. This all stemmed from a peroid of time where I would throw up first thing in the morning seemingly unprovoked. Well, it is happening again and I am throwing up what looks like blood to me. It is really dark brownish color and looks as if someone through some Skoal into the toilet. This is happening first thing in the morning. I have an appointment scheduled for tommorrow but was looking for some insight from all of you. Thanks in advance. Yes I do drink when I am off cycle (which I am) but not a ridiculous amount and I only eat spicy food once in a while. I guess my question is does this sound like a bleeding ulcer to any of you? I have not pooped anything that looks like blood either by the way.

If you are vomiting blood(frank or dark) and having dark tar like stools(blood that has made its way through the g.i. tract and metabolized) it sounds like it may be suggestive of a G.I. bleed. Given your symptoms and that you've been previously diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and reflux disease this leads me to believe it's probably an upper G.I. issue. I would definately get in to see your doctor asap for an evaluation. I'm sure they are going to run a battery of tests and most likely want to do another endoscopy to assess for a possible bleeding ulceration. I wouldn't get all worked up though as it could be a number of things.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I appreciate the information and I saw my primary doc today and she put in a referral to GI. She also gave me some reglan to help control the nausea. No vomiting today so far but there has been some nausea.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like upper GI bleed. Coffee ground emesis is usually indicative of that. You'll probable be prescribed a proton pump inhibitor such as prilosec or protonix. See if you can get zofran for the nausea instead of reglan.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like upper GI bleed. Coffee ground emesis is usually indicative of that. You'll probable be prescribed a proton pump inhibitor such as prilosec or protonix. See if you can get zofran for the nausea instead of reglan.
I agree zofran is the king of antiemetics hands down(it's used often in prevention of chemotherapy induced nausea), however that comes at a significant increase in price($80/vial). Drugs like phenergan/Compazine/reglan/inapsine usually do the job at half the cost. Anzemet is a much cheaper alternative of zofran that does the job just the same. A proton pump inhibitor such as protonix is definately the drug of choice for treatment of upper g.i. bleed issues. Your definately right on jonny :thumbsup: I hope everything turns out for the best KJ!

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I appreciate all the help guys. The reglan seems to be controlling the nausea for now. I am on Nexium right now which I was just switched from Aciphex. This is suppossedly the highest dosage they can prescribe....(40mg). Hopefully all goes well until my GI appointment next week.

Rodzilla

Board Sponsor
Awards
I have a hiatal hernia, I can regurgitate recently ingested food, like before it beings to digest.

but, I don't have your symptoms of vomiting blood, I did have some blood in my stool from ulcerative colitis at a time.

My guess is ulcers, but your taking the right step by seeing the GI doc