AD Carb Refeeds

  1. AD Carb Refeeds


    I read about people going into carb coma's and not liking carb ups. Honestly, I get a ton of energy from refeeds. I ate 1000 cals, 60% carbs before my WO yesterday, and I couldn't be stopped. I had unlimited energy, and felt great.


    That being said, I almost feel like I should do longer periods of time without a refeed, but then do a 24-36 hour refeed, instead of 12. Like 10 days low carb, 36 hour refeed.



    Thoughts?


  2. You can try it and see what works best. That's the great thing about the diet. You can and SHOULD experiment to see what configuration produces the best result.

    However on the flip side, Charles Poliquin worked with DiPasquale and they came up with a diet Charles uses with many of his athletes. That is, the same low carb most of the time, plus PWO carbs and a carb load every 4-7 days depending. On average he does every 4-5 days, but someone quite heavy might do every 7.

    Basically he says the carb loads depend on your current bodyfat. Above 10% and you get one carb meal every 4-7 days where you eat as much as you want in ONE sitting. 8-10% you get two such carb meals on that day. Below 8% and you get an entire day to refeed, every 4-5 days, and the macros aren't as important once you're this lean.

    His PWO carbs for this diet also depend on bodyfat. This is assuming regular bodybuilder types, and not endurance athletes which require more carbs. But basically someone 6% can do 200g carbs PWO and not gain fat or even harm health markers like triglycerides, but someone that's well over 10% should be doing zero carbs and using glutamine and glycine to restore glycogen levels without carbs until they get leaner.

    Also the selection of carbs should reflect your current body composition. Faster carbs and more fat for those that are leaner, and the opposite for those that are chubby.

    And the guide should be, you should keep track of your skinfolds after the carb load, especially the suprailliac, and they shouldn't be going up from the carb load. If they are, you're likely eating too many carbs or doing it too frequently, or perhaps even the wrong type of carbs.

  3. I personally am very sensitive to carbs, I do two weeks of low carb, and one day, usually no more than 18 hours, of pounding carbs down.
    •   
       


  4. It seems effective if I try to center the majority of carbs around a workout. I can eat 1000 calories, workout for 1 1/2 hours doing very hard **** like deadlifts and weighted lounges, then 2 1/2 hours later be hungry again. Eat a small carb shake, then 1 hour later 1000 more cals.

  5. Maybe its because you keep your so short? I dont really go into coma until the following day. I usual start my load at abut 7-8pm friday night. Then saturday about 2pm its time for coma. I'm going to try a new spin on my carb refeeds.

    After talking with botch I think I'm going to do a very short load like your talking about on satudays...like noon til midnight
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  6. I think a 12 hour refeed with mostly low GI sources is the way to go.


    I was eating kashi cereal, and milk, and ezikiel bread, and I almost consider those cheat carbs, as I could eat oatmeal and sweet poatoes instead.


    I seem to average 4 huge 1000+ calorie meals. My body handles the first meal easy, and any meal before and after a workout easy. I ate like 4600 calories yesterday. Today I plan to eat 2800.

  7. I have been doing about 24hr refeed starting saturday night at about 5pm, going into sunday at 5pm. I don't really go into a "carb coma".

    The hardest part on the diet for me, is after a while i am running out of variety in the foods i eat.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6 View Post
    I have been doing about 24hr refeed starting saturday night at about 5pm, going into sunday at 5pm. I don't really go into a "carb coma".

    The hardest part on the diet for me, is after a while i am running out of variety in the foods i eat.
    hey bro hows the whole CKD/AD bulk going? I havent heard anything in awhile, you logging it or anything?

    I'm switching to a wed/sat 200-300gr carb refeed 80%complex/20%simple for my last 2-3 meals of the night
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    hey bro hows the whole CKD/AD bulk going? I havent heard anything in awhile, you logging it or anything?

    I'm switching to a wed/sat 200-300gr carb refeed 80%complex/20%simple for my last 2-3 meals of the night
    Nope not logging..

    It is going good. Slow progress on the scale, but progress none the less..

    I have been eating 3500-4k cals a day now for almost 2 months, and am up 5-6lbs or so from when i started the diet. I feel much better though on low carb. I don't feel so bloated, and nasty.

    I am not putting on much fat however, and my waist measures almost identical to what it was before the diet.

    Strength is steadily increasing. Which is great.

    I just wish i could get some more ideas of what to eat, and also increase my cals another 500cal.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6 View Post
    Nope not logging..

    It is going good. Slow progress on the scale, but progress none the less..

    I have been eating 3500-4k cals a day now for almost 2 months, and am up 5-6lbs or so from when i started the diet. I feel much better though on low carb. I don't feel so bloated, and nasty.

    I am not putting on much fat however, and my waist measures almost identical to what it was before the diet.

    Strength is steadily increasing. Which is great.

    I just wish i could get some more ideas of what to eat, and also increase my cals another 500cal.


    I believe 1/4 LB - 1/2 LB is the most you can possibly gain as far as LBM in a week. So that would mean you are gaining LBM as fast as possible as long as you haven't gained any fat. That would mean slow progress in this case is the best you can possibly do. So, good job. :burg:

  11. People that tend to crash really badly probably have poor insulin sensitivity/blood glucose control. Maybe work on that issue while cutting back the quantity, as well as the quantity per meal (which affects glycemic load), and go with some lower GI choices.

    Some ideas to increase insulin sensitivity include high dose cod liver oil during the week; try 30-40g/day, up your mineral intake like ZMK, and obviously plenty of cardio.

  12. Have a look at Dan Duchaine's Body Opus Diet if you're interested in doing longer re-feeds. CKD is intense! You must be pretty committed Emo Personally I couldn't handle losing weight, even if it was fat. It must be a psychological insecurity. I'd rather stay at 18%+ than be ripped

  13. for carb refeeds for me are thursday 7pm - friday bed time

    30g carbs/15g protein before workout (thursday 7pm).....

    Get home, bodyweight in carb powder + 15g protein

    1/2 hour to 45 minutes later more carbs.....

    then friday carbs carbs carbs + rest.

    bodyweight x 5.5-7 g of carbs.... I like bodyweight x 6g

  14. i am a little confused.

    i thought you aren't supposed to be lifting weights after the 3rd day of low carb? for example, i started my low carb on july 1st. i lifted at the gym, july 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and from what i had read, you do cardio until the day before your refeed and you do another depletion workout to make you ultra sensitive to all the carbs you are about to eat.

    from what it sounds like, yall are lifting all through lowcarb/ketosis and even having pre WO and possibly post workout carbs?

    also, if i plan on doing my depletion workout friday, and carb loading saturday all day, should i have pre/post workout carbs on friday and do low carb the rest of the day till i wake up saturday?
    For me, the action IS the juice.

  15. is it better to refeed every 4th day or go 5 straight days and refeed on saturday and sunday only....mind you im taking in moderate carbs 185 grams during the week and 300-400 on refeeds.

    thanks

    weigh - 200lbs

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Neil5585 View Post
    You can try it and see what works best. That's the great thing about the diet. You can and SHOULD experiment to see what configuration produces the best result.

    However on the flip side, Charles Poliquin worked with DiPasquale and they came up with a diet Charles uses with many of his athletes. That is, the same low carb most of the time, plus PWO carbs and a carb load every 4-7 days depending. On average he does every 4-5 days, but someone quite heavy might do every 7.

    Basically he says the carb loads depend on your current bodyfat. Above 10% and you get one carb meal every 4-7 days where you eat as much as you want in ONE sitting. 8-10% you get two such carb meals on that day. Below 8% and you get an entire day to refeed, every 4-5 days, and the macros aren't as important once you're this lean.

    His PWO carbs for this diet also depend on bodyfat. This is assuming regular bodybuilder types, and not endurance athletes which require more carbs. But basically someone 6% can do 200g carbs PWO and not gain fat or even harm health markers like triglycerides, but someone that's well over 10% should be doing zero carbs and using glutamine and glycine to restore glycogen levels without carbs until they get leaner.

    Also the selection of carbs should reflect your current body composition. Faster carbs and more fat for those that are leaner, and the opposite for those that are chubby.

    And the guide should be, you should keep track of your skinfolds after the carb load, especially the suprailliac, and they shouldn't be going up from the carb load. If they are, you're likely eating too many carbs or doing it too frequently, or perhaps even the wrong type of carbs.
    Think I might try this plan some time just to see how it works for myself. Some of his stuff is useful.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness

  17. Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    i am a little confused.

    i thought you aren't supposed to be lifting weights after the 3rd day of low carb? for example, i started my low carb on july 1st. i lifted at the gym, july 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and from what i had read, you do cardio until the day before your refeed and you do another depletion workout to make you ultra sensitive to all the carbs you are about to eat.

    from what it sounds like, yall are lifting all through lowcarb/ketosis and even having pre WO and possibly post workout carbs?

    also, if i plan on doing my depletion workout friday, and carb loading saturday all day, should i have pre/post workout carbs on friday and do low carb the rest of the day till i wake up saturday?
    It depends what plan you follow really there are many variants of the ketogenic diet. The CKD diet put forth by lyle mcdonalds Ketogenic Diet is very precise. With that in mind - with individual biology, mental attitudes it just doesn't work for everyone.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Adding Carbs
    By jonnyblaze2001 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 03:38 AM
  2. Adding Carbs
    By jonnyblaze2001 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 12:06 PM
  3. Carb Refeed
    By CryingEmo in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 05:25 PM
  4. Ketosis on CKD between carb refeeds
    By Leggo my Ego in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 01:57 PM
  5. Carb Refeed
    By Ibanez in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Log in
Log in