Peanut Butter - Organic or Not

cal0621

Awards
I have been reading everywhere that organic peanut butter is better. Is this that big of a deal? When I look at the nutrition facts of most organic peanut butter and Peter Pan(the best) they are pretty identical. Is eating organic vs. regular a must or just slightly better? Thanks.

-TC

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most choose organic for a number of reasons. 1. They're scared to consume possible pesticides in commercial products aka their worried about personal and enviormental health 2.(the biggest reason I believe) They want to avoid the hydrogenation aspects of the commercial blends. Trans fats have been positively linked to heart disease onset in various studies. I guess it kind of goes with the personal health aspects I alluded to earlier.

Grab a container of both commercial and organic pb(like smucker's) and you should notice the lack of the word 'hydrogenated' on the organic label.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Natural PB does not necessarily mean 'Organic'.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Word.
Natty PB is the stuff that seperates in the fridge, thick a fukc, and somewhat dry.
Organic is the previous. Only the proccess is changed and certain preservatives might not be in there.

aztec127

aztec127

Awards
is natty smuckers peanut butter THAT different from jiffy's or skippy's peanut butter? would it make a huge difference in my weight gainer shake??

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dis be tru. I sometimes lump'em together in my head, as both have minimal processing and additives:think:. Organic = less pesticides, enviormentally friendly agriculture. Natural = no hydrogenation.

is natty smuckers peanut butter THAT different from jiffy's or skippy's peanut butter? would it make a huge difference in my weight gainer shake??
A calorie is a calorie, so if your not worried about trans-fat consumption and you want to gain weight, then it'll work. I personally like to keep my calorie increases clean as possible so I opt for the natural stuff.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
The natural PB also contains a significant amount less sugar than the Jiffy (or similar brands). Thats a large reason why I use Natty PB now, although it tastes like cardboard. For shakes and the like you can't taste the difference. And if you put it on toast or a bagel add a little bit of organic honey on top to sweeten it.

When I was bulking in college I just ate normal PB and it helped me get the necessary calories to gain weight. I've only switched to natty PB since I graduated and thats because I'm working on recomp and could do without the extra sugar. It's really up to you, but I'm sure everyone has their preference.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I like the 'Adams Natural'. It's now owned by Smuckers too.

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established
and all this time I thought peanut butter was peanut butter.

-TF

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
You guys forgot the fact that natural pb contains NO HYDROGENATED OIL! Whic is why I personally buy natural.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
You guys forgot the fact that natural pb contains NO HYDROGENATED OIL! Which is why I personally buy natural.

bluecollar

bluecollar

Awards
Im not so concerned with organic myself... but it has to be natural

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
You guys forgot the fact that natural pb contains NO HYDROGENATED OIL! Which is why I personally buy natural.
Didn't forget to mention it as that is the reason to buy it!

:toofunny:

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2.(the biggest reason I believe) They want to avoid the hydrogenation aspects of the commercial blends. Trans fats have been positively linked to heart disease onset in various studies. I guess it kind of goes with the personal health aspects I alluded to earlier.

Grab a container of both commercial and organic pb(like smucker's) and you should notice the lack of the word 'hydrogenated' on the organic label.
Organic = less pesticides, enviormentally friendly agriculture. Natural = no hydrogenation.

^^^:D

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I totally read "pesticides" as pesticles. I was like, what are pesticles??? bug testicles?

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'll be sure to look into the brands you've all suggested. I should be going to the grocery store in a couple of days.