The Overlooked Vitamin

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

The Overlooked Vitamin

Good Nutrition: The Overlooked Vitamin You Need to Know About

A vitamin which has received a lot of interest lately, for a host of reasons, is vitamin D. Various studies have shown the importance of vitamin D in the prevention of aggressive forms of prostate cancer, colon cancer and even skin cancer. It acts as an insulin stimulator to help deter diabetes. It can help to offset the effects of PMS as a regulator of the hormone, estrogen. It boosts seretonin which has been found to help depression. It is also important to understand the role of vitamin D in calcium absorption. Without vitamin D, calcium does not find its way to the bones. Not only does it aid in calcium absorption but in strengthening the muscles which gives added mobility to the elderly. The significance of this can be seen when we realize that falls are the largest cause of injury related deaths in nursing homes.

For all of these reasons, the importance of getting the proper amount of vitamin D is becoming more and more apparent. This, however, presents a dilemma. The single best way that we receive vitamin D is through sunshine. In recent years, it is becoming clear that Americans are not getting enough vitamin D. This has been due, in part, to the increased use of sunscreens. Sunscreen blocks the absorption of vitamin D in the skin. Does this mean we should stop using sunscreen? No, absolutely not. Some studies suggest that we spend 5-10 minutes, three times a day , in the sun without sunscreen. Other studies suggest that we spend 10-15 minutes, one to two times a day, in the sun without sunscreen. I think it is clear that only small doses of being exposed to the sun, without sunscreen are recommended.

There are some foods, although not many, which provide vitamin D. These would be fatty fish, milk, fortified orange juice and fortified cereals. Mushrooms that are sun grown are also a good source of vitamin D. Green leafy vegetables are not a good source of vitamin D. Because of this, a daily supplement is recommended. Traditionally, 200 I.U.s were the recommended dose but new studies are suggesting anywhere from 600-800 I.U.s as a minimum dose. Up to 2,000 I.U.s a day has not been shown to pose a toxicity risk but there is really no reason to take this much.

Given the known benefits of vitamin D, all of us, especially as we age, should pay as close attention to this vitamin as we do calcium.

About the Author

Constance Weygandt is an author, speaker, and balance mentor. For more information or to receive her free recipe newsletter, visit her at Fast and Reliable Weight Loss Program - Balanced Wellness - Constance Weygandt

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

This is one reason I like to run outside-Vit D. I also think that the serotonin helps me to run longer as well.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

I know most people take multi's, but I agree with you Rodj. If I could get all of my vitamins through natural sources, I think I'd be so much healthier/fell a lot better. But my diet would be HUGE!
    •   

4. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor

It is also a prehormone to steroidal compounds. One of the major causes of Seasonal Affective Disorder (wintertime depression) is from lack of vitamin D leading to lowered levels of hormones, including testosterone.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  5. Registered User

Outdoors > gym any day, next summer I might move my gym outside.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Studies show that excercising in the sun boosts performance.
  7. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Studies show that excercising in the sun boosts performance.
    And gives you major cool points.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  8. Registered User

wasn't overlooked by me I take a Vit D liquid supp daily
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Anyone know of a really high IU brand of liquid or caps? Highest I have found is 5,000 iu.
  10. Banned

This is very interesting. A lot of vitamins that are usually considered essential are always, unfortunately, overlooked. It's a shame. It's a great thing that I love being outdoors.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Complete Vitamin D Thread
    By Trauma1 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 07:24 AM
  2. The Best Vitamin-Ultra Nutrient?
    By cmc in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 01:51 PM
  3. The Best Vitamin Supplements You Should Take
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements