Bodybuilding In Jail

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
We all make mistakes and sometimes those mistakes lead us into jail. While you’re sitting in your cell complaining about how stupid you were to be there, why not do something positive for yourself like bodybuild? Why not turn your life around and actually be in control for once? "So now what?" you say. Well now is when knowledge will become your best friend. Training, nutrition, and rest are three important factors when it comes to building a great body in jail.

Creating a good workout routine will depend on what type of equipment you use. Books, drawers, shoes are all good alternatives to dumbells if you don’t have access to any. You can also do plenty of exercises with your own bodyweight such as push ups, crunches, leg raises, supermans, bridges, bench dips, air bike, freehand jump squat, and glute kickbacks. Choose from some the exercises above and create your own routine. My jail cell had an exercise bike which is a good form of cardio other good methods are jumping jacks, burpies, and if you’re desperate just walk or jog around in your cell. If you can, try to find a good training partner as well to help you stay motivated. It also will look better when you’re not the only person exercising.

Since you’re only fed three meals a day, getting good nutrients is going to be tough. Most meals consist of high GI carbs, foods high in saturated fat, and not much protein so you’ve got to be smart when choosing what you eat. A good trick is to eat all the healthy foods on your tray and afterwards go around looking for leftovers to help fill you up. Since most trays consist of at least one sort of junk food, you should trade that junk to somebody for something healthy. Just don’t let the security guard catch you. You’re also going to have to time your meals so you can perform your exercises and do your best to get your post workout nutrition afterwards. You also have to remember to drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated. A good rule is to look at your piss and if it’s yellow then you need to drink more water.

In my jail, getting enough sleep is very difficult. People are always complaining and yelling stupid stuff in the dorm so it’s very difficult to get enough. One way I found is asking for earplugs if they allow them which will help out a lot. You’re not going to be very active and you will be sitting around a lot so you shouldn’t have any reason to worry about overtraining. On your last meal of the day, try to eat fibrous or complex carbs because they will help you sleep better.

Those are some basic bodybuilding principles to use while you’re in jail. You should be able to keep your goals even while in jail if you want it enough. I wrote this article sitting in a jail cell with the hopes that other bodybuilders survive while being locked up. Until next time keep your head up and stay hungry. Peace.

By zach bashore
Published: 10/29/2005

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I thought this was a cool little article, and handy for those of us that live the wild life. Many of the recreational drugs people mention here and there on this board won't usually get you more than a few days in jail, so if you have the bad luck of landing there (I may have firsthand experience... may :) ) these tips might help you keep your physique while in the can!

H

Hollidae

Banned
Awards
how do people get HUGE in jail with out supps, REAL food etc

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Here's one person's idea Hollidae:

Have you ever noticed that many convicted criminals walk into prison as skinny punks but walk out with 20-40lbs of new muscle?

Have you ever wondered how that is possible?

Recently, a customer of mine asked me if I thought it was possible to build muscle, burn fat and get a lean, muscular physique without lifting weights.

While I gave it some thought… he raised the stakes. He wanted to know if someone could build a better body while locked up in a ten by ten prison cell.

I thought about it some more… and then I started to do some research. After I completed my research I told him that I believed it was possible to build muscle even within the confines of a ten by ten prison cell.

Here's why:

Point #1: Your muscles are stupid. In order to grow, your muscles must be placed under tension. If you lift a dumbbell, that puts tension on your bicep and back muscles.

But… if you do a pull-up… that also puts your back and biceps muscles under tension. Here's the kicker: Your muscles don't know the difference between the tension put forth by pull-ups or from dumbbell curls.

The important thing is that your muscles are being worked against resistance in each case. So lifting weights may be a convenient way to work your muscles under tension… but it's definitely not the only way to work your muscles.

Point #2: In the late '80's, researches used electromagnetic imaging to discover which exercises caused the greatest degree of muscle fiber activation. The rationale being that the more muscle fibers that were activated, the better the exercise was for building muscle and strength.

Researchers discovered that the most effective exercises were the ones where your hands and or feet remained steady and your body moved.

The exercises where your body remained stationary and your hands or feet did the moving were decidedly less effective.

Here is an example: When you are bench pressing, your body remains stationary and your hands move up and down throughout space.

But when you do a push-up, your hands remain stationary and your body moves up and down throughout space.

How about another example? When you do a seated leg extension, your body remains stationary and your feet move up and down. But when you do a squat, your feet remain stationary and your body moves up and down throughout space.

So the push-up activates more muscle fiber than the bench press… and a squat recruits more muscle fibers than a leg extension.

This means that many bodyweight exercises actually require a greater degree of muscle fiber activation than many common weight-lifting exercises.

In short, bodyweight exercises can actually be more effective at building muscle and strength.

So… even if you're stuck in a tiny prison cell, you can still build muscle and strength with bodyweight exercises like push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and squats.

Of course, to build extreme amounts of muscle you have to move beyond the basic exercises and start using some of the more advanced exercises. These include the one-arm push-up, the janda sit-up, dips and variations on the pull-up.

But in the end, I see no reason why you could not build an all-around spectacularly muscular physique within the tiny confines of a ten by ten prison cell.

**Matt Marshall is the author of The Home Workout Plan. This book allows average guys to build muscle and strength without lifting weights, without fancy equipment and without commercial gym access.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
wow...very informative even if you're not going to prison, especially the part about trading your fruit cup for more magic meat.

It's a shame the food that's the worst for you is also the least costly for consumers.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Interesting articles. I hope to never have to put those ideas into practice...

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Here's one more that really intrigued me. I may try this out myself.

A Completely Criminal Exercise Program
by Ken Andes

When I studied social work at Rutgers University I spent a considerable amount of time studying the prison system and the people in it. First of all, let me tell you that you can learn a tremendous amount about human nature, our capacity for hate and evil, what makes people resort to evil, and how we handle guilt by studying inmates. Most of all I was shocked to find out that deep inside of our psyches there's very little difference between the average law-abiding citizen, and most hardened criminals. Sometimes by looking at the darkest part of society you further appreciate the light. And perhaps come away from the experience with more understanding.... and more compassion.

Anyway, all that is for another time.

Another cool thing I learned from studying the prison system is a neat workout that you can do at home without any equipment at all, just your own bodyweight. I can't remember the name of the prison where this exercise program came from, but it was one of the worst maximum security prisons in the country, similar to the way Alcatraz used to be. This was a place where they sent the most hardened murderers, rapists, armed robbers, and other people that society no longer wanted. These men were considered to be so dangerous that they were not allowed outside of their cells except for meals, exercise, and twice-per-week showers. And even then, their arms and legs were shackled with chains when they were out of their cells.

These men had no access to weight lifting equipment or any kind of exercise gear whatsoever. They were considered dangerous to the point that any exercise equipment given to them would be turned into a deadly weapon. Their "workout room" consisted of a small bare room with concrete walls and a cement floor with less than four or five inmates allowed inside at any time.

To these inmates, being strong and in good physical condition was vital to their survival due to the constant threat and occurrence of prison violence such as beatings, muggings, intimidation, and rape. To this end, most of the inmates at this prison practiced a workout called the "burpee workout". This workout consisted of a single exercise known as the burpee (AKA squat thrust) done for many reps in a certain fashion.

The burpee workout was designed to develop strength, endurance, speed, agility, and balance. This workout wasn't designed to make you "pretty" or "buff" (why on earth would you want to look good in this environment?!) although it did produce gains in muscle and losses in bodyfat. It was made to give someone the type of functional fitness needed to fight, run, and move with speed and explosiveness whether you're standing on your feet or lying on the ground. As it was meant to give you an edge in surviving violent encounters, this workout will also give you plenty of stamina.

So let's start by explaining how to do the one exercise you'll need, the Burpee.

1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your hands raised over your head. Now squat down and place your palms on the floor by your feet.
2. Kick both of your legs back so that you're now in position to do a pushup.
3. Bend your elbows and lower your body until it's about one inch off of the floor.
4. Now push yourself back up and at the end of the pushup quickly pull both knees into your chest while keeping your hands on the floor. You're basically jumping back into the squat position found in the first step.
5. Stand straight up by straightening your legs and throwing your hands in the air over your head. You're now in the position that you started in, repeat as needed.
6. If you want to make the burpee more advanced by increasing the explosive power in your legs, jump about 3-4 inches into the air as you stand up in step 5.

So that's a burpee. That one movement works pretty much the entire body from head to toe by combining a squat with a pushup. Because you're constantly switching from squats to pushups you're teaching your body to use the arms and legs simultaneously, like in a fight. Because you're moving the body from a vertical plane to a horizontal plane continuously, you're learning balance, agility, and the ability to maneuver while lying on the ground and on your feet. Because of the constant alternating use of the arms and legs, your heart has to work twice as hard as if you just did continuous squats or pushups. This movement will give you great endurance as well as upper and lower body strength. You'll notice that you use jumping movements with the legs, back, abs, and arms in this exercise. This will give you speed and explosiveness throughout the whole body.

For a workout, an inmate would stand on one side of the room and do 20 burpees without stopping. Then he would walk to the other side of the room and do 19 burpees without stopping. Then walk to the other side and do 18 burpees. Then walk to the other side and do 17. He would continue in this fashion until he got down to a final set of 1 burpee. Then he's done and it's back to the cell for him. I'm not sure if the ankle and wrist chains were kept on while he exercised, but it's a very good possibility that they were left on due to the nature of this particular prison. Nevertheless, you can still do this workout even with your hands and feet shackled.

Hey, you know what I just thought? Having your hands and feet chained together would greatly add to the aerobic and strengthening aspects of this workout. The extra weight would make you even faster and more explosive. Why the hell not? You could get two lengths of heavy chain at Home Depot, loop them around your ankles and wrists and then fasten it with some bungee cord. Make sure to have about 2-3 feet of chain between your ankles and wrists. Then you could put on your "federal issue" orange body suit (available at K-Mart), go down to your local health club, and start your burpees. You'll have a great workout while the other spandex-clad yuppies use the "pec deck" or that stupid piece of equipment where you open and close your legs as if flashing your genitalia. That would be kewl.

Now for most people, 20 sets in the above fashion may be too much to handle. So start with a lower number of sets like 15 or 10. Then gradually and slowly add sets one at a time as you become stronger and better conditioned. You might want to think about using a watch to time how long it takes you to do a certain number of sets, and then decrease that time as you get stronger. If you want to use this workout as the core of your fitness program, try to do it every day. Remember, a little bit done every day is much better than a whole lot done once or twice a week. If you're doing other exercises in addition to this, you can do your burpee workout 2-3 times per week on the days when you want to build your endurance. If I remember correctly, the prisoners who used this program were only allowed access to their workout room three times per week for 30 minutes at a time. So if you did this workout three times per week, you would be in pretty good shape.
Some goals to shoot for:

At this prison, you weren't considered to be a "man" unless you could do 20 descending sets without stopping. To be able to do 20 descending sets without stopping was sort of a rite of passage or initiation into someone who deserves some respect from the other inmates. If you could do 25 sets you were considered to be pretty tough and people though twice about messing with you. And if you could do 30 sets you were labeled a bona fide stud and given much respect.

So I guess if any of you guys plan on going to maximum security prison for a while you better work up to those 20 sets, lest you rely on protection from your new boyfriend who can easily pump out 30 sets.

Enjoy!

Ken

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
many people say nutrition is horrible in jail but if they have loved ones outsidewho still takecare of them and put money on their card then they can always buty extra items and supplement their failing diet.

the most common thing i was told buy my bro is they get a lot of ramen noodles and other stuff mix it all together and just eat it to get a ish load of CALs, i believe he called it "spread"

that coupled with knowledge of body weight exercises (wich is learned pretty damn fast if your looking to stay fit) and a mostly sedintary life style is a great recipe for getting large with seemingly less at your disposal

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
What a truly informative read!!!!!!!!! Nice contributions from everyone!

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
This guy explains "The Burpee" a little bit more, and he tweaks it at the end. I'm pretty sure doing 20 of these is going to become a new goal of mine.

The Prison Workout - A Total Body Exercise Routine

Some prison inmates have nothing but a sink, a toilet, their bed, and a few square feet of space at their disposal. They need an exercise routine that can be done in a confined space without equipment. The "Prison Workout," as it was nicknamed by some people who saw prisoners without access to weights doing it, is designed to develop strength, endurance, speed, agility, and balance. It also produces gains in muscle, losses in body fat, and plenty of stamina. It is a total body and cardio workout.

The Prison Workout consists of one classic exercise, the "burpee." This exercise works your chest, arms, front deltoids, thighs and abs. The burpee is a six-count exercise:

1) Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your hands raised over your head. Then squat down and place your palms on the floor by your feet.

2) Kick both of your legs back so that you're in push-up position.

3) Bend your elbows and lower your body until your chest touches the floor.

4) Push yourself back up.

5) At the end of the push-up, quickly pull both knees into your chest while keeping your hands on the floor. You're jumping back into the squat position of step one.

6) Stand straight up by straightening your legs and throwing your hands in the air over your head. You're now in the position that you started in. You can make the burpee more advanced and increase the explosive power in your legs by jumping into the air as you stand up.

The Prison Workout is done in descending sets. For example, begin by doing 20 burpees without stopping. Rest 30 seconds, and then do 19 burpees without stopping. Rest 30 seconds and do 18 burpees. Continue doing descending sets until you get down to a final set of 1 burpee. That makes a total of 210 burpees.

For most people, 20 sets will be too much to start with. In that case, pick a lower number of sets like 15 or 10 or even fewer for your first workout. Then add a set every 1-2 weeks until you reach your goal. In prison, doing 20 descending sets without stopping is the minimum to be considered a "man." If you can do 25 sets, you're considered to be pretty tough, and, if you can do 30 sets, you're considered a "stud." If you're doing other exercises in addition to this workout, do your burpee workout 3 times per week on cardio days.

If some of you who've read this far are thinking to yourselves, "This Prison Workout is too easy. I'm looking for a man's workout," try one of these advanced variations of the basic burpee.

1) If you have access to pull-up bars, at step 6, jump up and do a pull-up. That will add 210 or more pull-ups to the workout.

2) Place dumbbells on the floor. Use the dumbbells as push-up bars for steps 1-5. At step 6, clean the dumbbells to your shoulders, press them overhead, and then set them back down for the next repetition. In other words, add an overhead press to each burpee. Be sure to use the solid, hexagonal dumbbells rather than the adjustable kind.

By itself, the Prison Workout will strip fat from your body, add muscle, and build stamina. Alternate it with a weight training routine, and you may be mistaken for a Greek god, or, at least, for an ex-convict.

Site Link: The Prison Workout - A Total Body Exercise Routine

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Wow, if I could just do one I'd be happy. D*mn stiff-legged squats yesterday make it slow to move.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I just tried doing one after running. I think it was easier after loosening up.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Okay. I got up to about 6 in a row without loosing balance. IMO this is a great way to work you're whole body. I mean, I'm a bit sore from running earlier, but I can feel all of my muscles working when I do "The Burpee". I definitely recommend this for anyone looking to shed some lbs, and tighten up all around.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
yea i did these for cross country. Great stuff!!

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I've known the Burpee as a Squat Thrust. We had to do tons of these damn things in P.E. class in highschool.

Also, I didn't see anything about Prison Rules Dominoes....

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Everything went downhill for me when I got locked up and that was just for one night. I lost my job, I was due for a payment towards my gym membership, etc. But, I'm getting back into the gym soon! I also don't plan on getting arrested again, lol. I have to stay out of trouble for the next 2 years, or else I'll face 6 months to 7 years in jail. I've been staying out of trouble for the past few months, so I think I'll be alright. Besides, I'm on probation, which helps keeping me out of trouble. The story behind my situation is ridiculous anyway. I'm so pumped and so anxious to get back into the gym. I remember lifting like a monster, 5 days a week.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
best of luck and keep up the hard work!

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I need to try some of those Burpees tonight!

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
The reason most guys come out of jail 30-40lbs bigger is because dbol use is rampant in jail. Also that guys nonsense about pushups being better then benchpress is also hog wash since you aren't going to be able to give your self an increase stimulus like you can in a bench press. This is basically a crossfit workout you posted, that as long as you don't increase in weights you won't make muscle gains.

Just look at the images of people who do crossfit.

For example:

Point #2: In the late '80's, researches used electromagnetic imaging to discover which exercises caused the greatest degree of muscle fiber activation. The rationale being that the more muscle fibers that were activated, the better the exercise was for building muscle and strength.

This has been debunked over and over again, as a cable fly causes more EMG muscle activation than a db bench press. Same with lateral raises showing more than military press. Which do you think of those exercises is going to put on the most muscle?

Fiber activation is just one part of getting bigger and stronger.

I can go run a 5k and I will use every fiber in my legs to finish, but will I get bigger from that? Not even if I eat 6k calories.

H

Hollidae

Banned
Awards
many people say nutrition is horrible in jail but if they have loved ones outsidewho still takecare of them and put money on their card then they can always buty extra items and supplement their failing diet.
i cant belive thatthey eat good.. Food anit cheap..

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i cant belive thatthey eat good.. Food anit cheap..
noone said they eat "good" in fact i said they get all the ramen and stuff they can find(ie cheap stuff) and throw it all together just to get SOMETHING, that coupled with a mostly sedintary lifestyle (less cals burned means less cals required) is how they CAN come out ahead over some schmo who cant trade for goods or has someone on the outside putting money on their card and has to eat the basic jail food.

thats exactly how my bro(in law) did it, every time he came out hed be in MUCH better shape and larger

A

ANABOLIKHULK

Awards
The reason most guys come out of jail 30-40lbs bigger is because dbol use is rampant in jail. Also that guys nonsense about pushups being better then benchpress is also hog wash since you aren't going to be able to give your self an increase stimulus like you can in a bench press. This is basically a crossfit workout you posted, that as long as you don't increase in weights you won't make muscle gains.

Just look at the images of people who do crossfit.

For example:

This has been debunked over and over again, as a cable fly causes more EMG muscle activation than a db bench press. Same with lateral raises showing more than military press. Which do you think of those exercises is going to put on the most muscle?

Fiber activation is just one part of getting bigger and stronger.

I can go run a 5k and I will use every fiber in my legs to finish, but will I get bigger from that? Not even if I eat 6k calories.
I agree with you 100%, steroids are sold in jail by the gaurds and Correctional officers, many officers have been caught for selling juice in jail, just go to yahoo and type steroids in jail or gaurd selling steroids to inmates, you will find many stories. I think anadrol and dbols are the reason why inmates get jacked in jail. Without enough calories and core excercises like squat, deadlift and bench press your chances of gaining muscle anywhere, jail or at home are pretty much nil unless you're a genetic freak, which most people arent. Even the genetic freaks need carbs and protein to build muscle. Great post BOHICA. Dude if you wanna get big in jail make some friends and get some dbols, 50 mgs a day would do wonders for you. Yes there'll side effects but you goona get big.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you 100%, steroids are sold in jail by the gaurds and Correctional officers, many officers have been caught for selling juice in jail, just go to yahoo and type steroids in jail or gaurd selling steroids to inmates, you will find many stories. I think anadrol and dbols are the reason why inmates get jacked in jail. Without enough calories and core excercises like squat, deadlift and bench press your chances of gaining muscle anywhere, jail or at home are pretty much nil unless you're a genetic freak, which most people arent. Even the genetic freaks need carbs and protein to build muscle. Great post BOHICA.
Nice follow up! I wonder if they have ever heard of PCT? But who needs a libido in the slammer anyways right?

A

ANABOLIKHULK

Awards
Nice follow up! I wonder if they have ever heard of post cycle therapy? But who needs a libido in the slammer anyways right?
Thanks BOX. I doubt it, if it was me I'ld be on it for as long as I had too in order to save my ass, literally.

H

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Im not sure about the jails around other areas, but the PRISON that my partner was sent to, here in alabama, served PLENTY of protein packed foods, although, not very lean at times ... also, they had weights to work out with, squat, bench, and an access to dumbells...(they've yet to removed equipment from the prisons here)

Also, the correctional facilities here have an abundance of 16-25 year olds, so it's pretty easy to see how someone of that age could beef up, especially when the majority of them go in at such a young age and have hardly touched the weights at any significance.

There's ton of people here that are, what they refer to as "corn bread fed" lol, but yeah...corn bread, black eyed peas and beef, go figure.

My partner said he did chinese pushups and did regular pushups with different size dude's sitting on his back, LOL, yeah I had jokes about that one, but yeah...other than that he did squats and db presses..swole up 32lbs in 1year. BUT he had NEVER lifted weights before he went in.

Hell, I went from 152 to 179 in one year when i first started lifting some 12 years ago, and had never seen a roid back then.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
the military's version of the burpee is called the bodybuilder. it's the exact same exercise. mostly special forces/firefighters do it.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I definitely don't ever plan on going to jail again, but I'm going to bookmark this thread. It's very informative and it's an interesting read. I do, however, have friends that tend to find themselves getting locked up quite a bit. I'll hand this off to them.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
No offense, but if I had friends that kept getting locked up, I would try to seek out some new friends so I don't risk getting dragged down myself.

I definitely don't ever plan on going to jail again, but I'm going to bookmark this thread. It's very informative and it's an interesting read. I do, however, have friends that tend to find themselves getting locked up quite a bit. I'll hand this off to them.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Facilities here in Massachusetts are getting rid of weights.

The last thing they need is a bunch of monsters outnumbering the CO's.

Having some friends who are COs and have been locked up, Poopys right. I had a friend who would stop in at the canteen, stock up on various types of food (that did not go together), and mix it all up in a trash bag, creating a soup-mix from hell that would even turn Andrew Zimmern's stomache.

I guess pushups are good. Theres not much else to do ... you can either read, workout or think about what you've done. HAH

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm engaged in bodyweight training 3x a week (I throw in 20 rep squats occasionally) because I also do boxing training. I'm glad Hurleyboy made his post regarding BW training. Recently, I had a discussion w/ an extremely ignorant (not to mention opinionated) person regarding the efficacy of BW exercises (or lack of, in his viewpoint). This thread simply fortifies what I already knew. I thank you for your post and I highly appreciate it brother. And to the rest of you all out there: don't let the mainstream fill you up with misconceptions and myths like you ""need weights" to progress.

You can have an individual who can perform 300 bodyweight squats but rarely trains w/weights. That's not a common feat, but what happens when he tries squatting 300 lbs.? The individual has never trained w/weights so it's simple to understand they will be unable to handle the weight.

Now, we have the weight-lifter who squats those 300 pounds on a constant basis? I want to see him/her perform a one-legged squat with their other leg extended in front of his body? For the most part, I'll see a struggle to perform just 1 rep. The balance, coordination, and flexibility are lacking so each of these individuals assume the crown in the respective arenas and they're both "strong", but dense in their strength and conditioning methods. The key is to incorporate the right amount of variety--there is no one training device that is superior to all others.

Anyway, thanks again Hurleyboy. You made my day =:woohoo:

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I'm engaged in bodyweight training 3x a week (I throw in 20 rep squats occasionally) because I also do boxing training. I'm glad Hurleyboy made his post regarding BW training. Recently, I had a discussion w/ an extremely ignorant (not to mention opinionated) person regarding the efficacy of BW exercises (or lack of, in his viewpoint). This thread simply fortifies what I already knew. I thank you for your post and I highly appreciate it brother. And to the rest of you all out there: don't let the mainstream fill you up with misconceptions and myths like you ""need weights" to progress.

You can have an individual who can perform 300 bodyweight squats but rarely trains w/weights. That's not a common feat, but what happens when he tries squatting 300 lbs.? The individual has never trained w/weights so it's simple to understand they will be unable to handle the weight.

Now, we have the weight-lifter who squats those 300 pounds on a constant basis? I want to see him/her perform a one-legged squat with their other leg extended in front of his body? For the most part, I'll see a struggle to perform just 1 rep. The balance, coordination, and flexibility are lacking so each of these individuals assume the crown in the respective arenas and they're both "strong", but dense in their strength and conditioning methods. The key is to incorporate the right amount of variety--there is no one training device that is superior to all others.

Anyway, thanks again Hurleyboy. You made my day =:woohoo:
The thread is called bodybuilding in jail though. You aren't going to get bigger doing bodyweight exercises. So your point really has no validity in this thread per se. In real life, yes bodyweight exercises are good as I end every leg day with one legged squats (I can't do pistols yet and probably will never be able to) but that is because I want to remain flexible, mobile, and balanced. Not because I want to get bigger. Every thing has their place.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
:lol:You must have missed my main point (highlighted towards the end of my post):

Exactly what you meant by "Every thing has it's place".
Nah I got it, I was just saying that bodyweight exercises aren't going to get you big, which was the original topic of this thread :rasp:

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Glad you liked it Dannyboy, and you really picked up on my reason behind posting it. In my first post, I mentioned at the bottom, that if you happen to get locked up, this is a way of still exercising without the freedom of going to the gym. It's not a way of getting huge IMO, but more like body maintenance while in jail. I glad you took the positive view, instead of needlessly bashing it because of differentiating views. It IS a good workout, it will KEEP you strong, not necessarily MAKE you bigger, but will help you MAINTAIN what muscle you already have without the ability to go to the gym. That was my point. :)

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
No offense, but if I had friends that kept getting locked up, I would try to seek out some new friends so I don't risk getting dragged down myself.
I recently read that you are the 'average of the 5 people you hang around with most often'. Makes sense to me.

I agree, if you don't want to go to jail, don't hang out with people that go to jail.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
(kid voice)
Yeah?!?....

...well....
....you're... WRONG :rant:

:lol:Anyway, I know you can gain a significant amount of muscle with bodyweight exercises--my back and arms have grown significant since I started doing pull-up variations and my legs gained from Deep Knee Bends and the occasional 20 rep squats. Both strength training and weight training, play their respective roles. When it comes to boxing training, for example, I'm not hitting weights anymore than 2x a week (that's a max). I focus on BW exercises and strength training as opposed to weight lifting and heavy bag work. It all comes down to what arena you're expecting to excel in.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Glad you liked it Dannyboy, and you really picked up on my reason behind posting it. In my first post, I mentioned at the bottom, that if you happen to get locked up, this is a way of still exercising without the freedom of going to the gym. It's not a way of getting huge IMO, but more like body maintenance while in jail. I glad you took the positive view, instead of needlessly bashing it because of differentiating views. It IS a good workout, it will KEEP you strong, not necessarily MAKE you bigger, but will help you MAINTAIN what muscle you already have without the ability to go to the gym. That was my point. :)
Most definitely Hurleyboy. I always attempt to extract the moral, so to speak, or positive aspect of all posts (even the most ignorant and hype-filled posts). Many bash BW exercises but they wouldn't be able to do a single-legged squat without assistance if their life depended on it. I know someone is going take it as a direct shot to them personally, but its not: it's a general statement.
]
Anyway, one example could be the fact that there are so many pull-up variations to keep you busy which will allow you to not only maintain your physique but, eventually you're going to gain for the simple fact that you're performing complex and intense exercises which will lead to your muscles overcompensating. Some of those pull-up variations are serious--ever heard of Walking the Bar or Hang 'Em High (both are variations)?

In any case, great post. Thank you for your contributions. I apologize on behalf of the individuals who are too frustrated w/their own lives and full of [personal] problems that restricts them from being open-minded and positive as opposed to ignorant, close-minded and opinionated.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Here in TN, it depends on the crime the inmate committed. If it was a nonviolent crime (e.g. DUI, burglary, traffic infractions) the inmate may be allowed to use the gym facility. If they're a repeat offender or have committed a violent crime - no chance!

I agree with it though, if you can't play nice, don't play at all :)

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
They should remove every piece of equipment and give it to local police/fire stations for them to use.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
So Xodus, you think we should remove one of the tools that some inmates choose to devote their lives too instead of crime? Many people learn about building muscle in jail, and take that knowledge with them when they leave. I mean, if you leave a criminal all alone with his/her crimes, isn't that what they're going concentrate on? Why not give them something productive and worth while to focus on? Something that could help them make better choices, and live healthier? Just my opinion.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
So Xodus, you think we should remove one of the tools that some inmates choose to devote their lives too instead of crime? Many people learn about building muscle in jail, and take that knowledge with them when they leave. I mean, if you leave a criminal all alone with his/her crimes, isn't that what they're going concentrate on? Why not give them something productive and worth while to focus on? Something that could help them make better choices, and live healthier? Just my opinion.
I don't think they should have cable TV, computers and ping pong either. Hell, there are people on the OUTSIDE that don't have access to cable/internet.

They've got access to books, GED programs, etc. those things will change your life.

You don't need more gang bangers getting buff.

And yeah, maybe sitting there thinking about what they did to get them into that sh*tty situation would be more beneficial. A little self-reflection is good once and a while.

Crime == Punishment. Rehabilitation? Perhaps, but the recidivism rate is high even with all these 'bennies'.

Hell, they close down youth rec centers because of 'funding' issues while those that CHOSE to be incarcerated have access to weight rooms? Sorry man, thats retarded. Perhaps if they had a youth center when they were kids they wouldn't be where they are now?

I still say give it to the firemen and cops. If you ever have to be carried out of a fire, you might thank me. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of cops, but I think the majority of them are out to do good and deserve access to weights more than a criminal.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I don't think they should have cable TV, computers and ping pong either. Hell, there are people on the OUTSIDE that don't have access to cable/internet.

They've got access to books, GED programs, etc. those things will change your life.

You don't need more gang bangers getting buff.

And yeah, maybe sitting there thinking about what they did to get them into that sh*tty situation would be more beneficial. A little self-reflection is good once and a while.

Crime == Punishment. Rehabilitation? Perhaps, but the recidivism rate is high even with all these 'bennies'.

Hell, they close down youth rec centers because of 'funding' issues while those that CHOSE to be incarcerated have access to weight rooms? Sorry man, thats retarded. Perhaps if they had a youth center when they were kids they wouldn't be where they are now?

I still say give it to the firemen and cops. If you ever have to be carried out of a fire, you might thank me. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of cops, but I think the majority of them are out to do good and deserve access to weights more than a criminal.
First of all, you went too far with the "retarded" comment. You have a strong opinion, anyone can see that, but unfortunately you seem to have misjudged who to be angry at. Sure, a criminal should be punished for his/her crime. Having no freedom of choice is that punishment. That is Incarceration. So if that punishment is being met, why should it be taken further? If by law, the inmate is being punished accordingly, why should more punishment be inflicted? I don't think it should be, I think thats cruelty and abuse of power.

Xodus, it seems to me that your frustration is aimed at the wrong group. You shouldn't be upset at criminals for being allowed to exercise and watch tv, but at the law makers that allow them too, while youth centers are being closed. Its not the criminals that make these decisions, but the sad men and women that view youth centers as less important then prisons. You're frustrations seem politically fueled. And if thats the case then I can see you're point. If you're just mad that criminals aren't being punished to your standards, then thats your deal. I just don't think anyone should be punished for something that isn't their fault, and by means that are unfair.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
First of all, you went too far with the "retarded" comment. You have a strong opinion, anyone can see that, but unfortunately you seem to have misjudged who to be angry at. Sure, a criminal should be punished for his/her crime. Having no freedom of choice is that punishment. That is Incarceration. So if that punishment is being met, why should it be taken further? If by law, the inmate is being punished accordingly, why should more punishment be inflicted? I don't think it should be, I think thats cruelty and abuse of power.

Xodus, it seems to me that your frustration is aimed at the wrong group. You shouldn't be upset at criminals for being allowed to exercise and watch tv, but at the law makers that allow them too, while youth centers are being closed. Its not the criminals that make these decisions, but the sad men and women that view youth centers as less important then prisons. You're frustrations seem politically fueled. And if thats the case then I can see you're point. If you're just mad that criminals aren't being punished to your standards, then thats your deal. I just don't think anyone should be punished for something that isn't their fault, and by means that are unfair.
The retarded comment wasn't directed 'at' you.

Incarceration, while limiting 'freedom' isn't exactly 'punishment' when you have full access to weights, cable tv, food, library books, school programs, health care, etc. Go hang around in the low income neighborhoods sometime. I'm sure that would sound like a vacation to some. In 2001 it cost 22k/yr to 'house' a single prisoner. I know families of 4 that have to live on that, who's getting 'punished'?

I'm not saying that prisons should be inhumane, but 'TV or Movie' night should be a privilege. Not something to riot over if you lose your 4 hours of TV a day. You get a bed, sink and toilet. If you want to do single leg squats and pushups/pullups to stave off atrophy, fine. But anything beyond reading materials to better yourself is a waste of money.

How are they being 'punished' for something that is 'not their fault'? We are not talking political prisoners here, you are talking rapists, murderers, molesters, etc. Sure, there are non-violent/drug related prisoners as well (don't get me started on that discussion) but I'm not talking 'county farm/jail'.

If someone is on death row or has a 10-20+ year sentence, they obviously did something bad enough to deserve it and it IS their fault, whether they decide to own up to it before their release/death is on them. They deserve to wither away in a cell and can spend their time thinking about how they 'spent' their life.

Misdirected anger? Sure, but its people with the mindset that they 'deserve' these 'necessities of life' that vote those politicians into office.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
This is another one of those never ending debates. You and I could go back and forth forever. Different views create different opinions and disagreement. I don't want this to go on forever. We have different standards of punishment, and while I agree that it is sad that some people live worse lives then prisoners, I believe it is much more of a political deal. I'm for some activities in jail, but I didn't vote for many of the people in office currently, so the blame is not on people who share my views. Its just a literal mess, with no correct answer because of so many different views. If it were as easy as "right" or "wrong" we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

All I can really say is, it's disgusting that our world has even come to this.

Can we still be friends Xodus?

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know this is an old discussion but let me lend you this...

I am a contributing member of society, I work until a job gives out on me and then find another in this failing economy. I still pay my taxes try to further myself physically and do my best to make sure that my families needs are met....

Now because I got caught up the other week with weed on my persons I will have to serve jail time.... your saying that someone such as myself should not be allowed access to weights? you think that casue of my mistake I should be malnutritioned bored in a cage and atrophy away all my hard work? even though I will be barred from seeing my family at any moment I please? even though I will have to worry about other inmates that may pose a threat to my physical well being?

I think that the punishment should fit the crime. If your a violent person whos committed a violent crime inside or out of prison then your rights should be further limited but for a guy who got caught with some grass (which by the way If I only had a stupid license in my state would have been completely legal) I think he should be restricted alot less.

just my 2 cents.