Counting Carbs - Dietary Fiber

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.13%

Counting Carbs - Dietary Fiber

OK so I am trying to figure out my diet in a 50/30/20 C/P/F ratio, to clean bulk. Thething I am stuck with is does dietary Fiber count into the carbs Macros.

For example if something says:

Total Carbs 6g
    Dietary Fiber 4g

How many carbs would you count? would that be 2grs= 8cals or 6grs = 24cals?

thanks for the help guys

Sorry forgot to ask. Do you guys count even the cals in veggies or do you just consume a lot with meals and don't count them? Of course not talking about starchy ones but things like spinach, broccolli, etc.

Thanks

2. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.07%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Spinach, and broccoli do have some carbs in them other then fiber, so yeah I count them. As for the carb counting in general I usually deduct all fiber from carbs and go from there. A easy way to keep track of cals from carbs is to log onto fitday and plug in your meals. It keeps a running count of your carbs and fiber, with calories and calorie percentages calculated strictly for non-fiber carbs.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.25%

I use Fitday also, which gives you total carbs and dietary fiber, as a part of carb intake. But, since our bodies do not possess the enzymes to break down the fiber, in effect dietary fiber does not enter into effective carbohydrate count/calories. At least that is what I understood from the Protein Power book.
    •   

4. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.07%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBig View Post
    I use Fitday also, which gives you total carbs and dietary fiber, as a part of carb intake. But, since our bodies do not possess the enzymes to break down the fiber, in effect dietary fiber does not enter into effective carbohydrate count/calories. At least that is what I understood from the Protein Power book.
    It does get broken down by our bacterial content in the large intestines and does convert to small chain fatty acids and gas such as butryic, acetic, and propanoic gas. It does not, however, enter via the portal vein and does not cause an insulin response. In regards to low carb diets the non-insulin effecting properties means we can subtract from total carb cotent.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Leangains carbs and fiber
    By tub46636 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2014, 06:37 AM
  2. Counting carbs on Keto
    By marshmallow man in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2009, 09:24 PM
  3. do you count carbs?
    By hamr9 in forum Weight Loss