Cholesterol question.

1. Registered User

Cholesterol question.

I read somewhere that dietary cholesterol has no effect on your body's cholesterol levels. I eat alot of eggs and wonder if these have a negative impact on my cholesterol.

If this is true then where does cholestrol come from?

2. Registered User

Dietary cholesterol absolutely has an impact on your body's cholesterol levels. This is the only way that the drug Zetia helps lower your cholesterol (by blocking intestinal absorption). The statins (Lipitor, Crestor, Zocor, etc), work by blocking cholestrol production in the liver. The more research that is done on the issue, it seems the more that is controlled by genetics. Just based on my research, right now I'd say that about 65-70% of your total cholesterol comes from your genetics (liver), and 30-35% is based on what you actually intake.

Hope that helps.
  3. Idiot Savant
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Dietary cholesterol can without a doubt effect your lipid levels in some fashion. What I find interesting is that research also finds that saturated fat content causes a larger rise in total cholesterol then equal percentages of dietary cholesterol intake. The theory(or educated guess, when researchers can't explain something) is that increase saturated fat intake causes a shift in molecular transport of fat utilizing more un-esterfied cholesterol in fat packaging. So sat fat intake is just as(and probably more then) important to watch then total cholesterol intake.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

•   

4. Banned

Wink

Bro I don't know where the hell you read that or who would write such a thing but it sure would be nice if it were true....IT'S NOT!! Cholesterol comes from two places essentially. Your genetics and food.
    I can tell you I used to eat 6-12 whole eggs daily and it definitely had a negative effect on my lipid levels (I also ate a ton of red meat and drank gallons of milk a week) so take from that what you will.
    Just take out all the jokes except one or two and your cholesterol should stay within range. Or just eat however many you want, once or twice a week.
    I believe the dietary allowance for a healthy adult male is somewhere between 300-400mgs a day. A whole egg contains 210mgs. However much of that is LDL is debatable. Hope that helps.
  5. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns View Post
    Dietary cholesterol can without a doubt effect your lipid levels in some fashion. What I find interesting is that research also finds that saturated fat content causes a larger rise in total cholesterol then equal percentages of dietary cholesterol intake. The theory(or educated guess, when researchers can't explain something) is that increase saturated fat intake causes a shift in molecular transport of fat utilizing more un-esterfied cholesterol in fat packaging. So sat fat intake is just as(and probably more then) important to watch then total cholesterol intake.
    You can eat 300mgs+ a day of cholesterol, but if you ate that much Saturated fat a day I'd imagine you'd be done pretty quick! This also ties in with the fact that you are more likely to have elevated cholesterol if you are overweight (lol everyone here is overweight I meant BF wise). As many people in the US are, mainly (I believe) due to our diets that are high in saturated fats.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bad cholesterol question
    By chrisrob05 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 03:30 PM
  2. Just got cholesterol results...have a question
    By AaronFL in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
  3. Question about my Cholesterol
    By predator124 in forum Anabolics