Vegan Diet

1. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.97%

Vegan Diet

I was in downtown yesterday and this guy was handing out pamplets about animal cruelty in farms and livestock etc.
    I do agree that the way livestock is raised and killed now adays is wrong and actually unhealthy. It would be nice if that could change but so would alot of things. I got into a discussion with this guy about the vegan diet. As far as I know its unhealthy because vegetables alone cannot provide the complete spectrum of nutrition. Please correct me if I am wrong. The main question I have is; does soy have a complete amino acid profile? this guy swore up and down that it did, and to my knowledge it doesnt.

any help would be appreciated, thanks bros!

2. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

You can get complete protein, especially if you are lacto/ovo (eat eggs & milk).

Run your finger along the top of your teeth; feel those sharp pointy ones? Those are canines that were designed for ripping/tearing meat. If we were not supposed to eat meat we would have teeth like a cow.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  3. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.26%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr;
    Run your finger along the top of your teeth; feel those sharp pointy ones? Those are canines that were designed for ripping/tearing meat. If we were not supposed to eat meat we would have teeth like a cow.
    This made me laugh!
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.26%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PHWSSJ;
    ..The main question I have is; does soy have a complete amino acid profile? this guy swore up and down that it did, and to my knowledge it doesnt...
    The guy is right! Soy has a complete amino acid profile. Just like Whey. As a matter of fact, soy has more arginine, for instance, per gramme than Whey, and so on. Some suggest a combination of soy and whey is more anabolic than whey alone or soy alone.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%

i was a vegan for a good 2 years. its is hard, but you can get all the nutrition you need. B vitamins are probably the biggest concern.

I did get pretty skinny, although I wasnt really into BB at the time.

I 'm a piscatarian now, and for the last 3 years or so (i eat fish and eggs).
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.15%

Most research I have read indicate that a vegetarian or vegan diet is the healthiest diet you can be on....you get plenty of fruits and vegtables which are full of vitamins and antioxidants...I would just be concerned about the protien sources....obviously not the best diet for bodybuilding but maybe for overall health.....
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.11%

I'm a vegetarian

Tofu
    Bean Curd
    Dairy Products
    Soy
    Nuts

I eat more protein than anyone I know. It's easy. One of my fat-free cheese sticks packs in 60 calories and 6 grams of protein. Extra-firm tofu is LOADED with protein. Good stuff.

Harder to adjust to. I made the change in 7th grade, and 5 1/2 years later it's just standard.

You really don't even think about meat or miss it. In today's market there's so many alternatives that taste so close to the real thing (Yes I would know, I ate it for 12 years) that it's easy to stick with it.

My brother though... he's a vegan. He eats a ton of tofu and veggies. He lives off the stuff. He doesn't really watch his carbs like I do so he goes all out on the breads and stuff. He can pig out like crazy and not gain a single pound.

So I could understand a vegan diet when you take something like a nutrient repartitioner like neovar or anabolic pump or yellowgold.

It gets hard, once your vegan you start worrying about every aspect of your life that is contributing to the death of animals in some indirect way. In the end you have to turn your back to a lot of it (sitting on a leather sofa LOL). At one point my brother got so extreme that he said he wasn't going to eat anything that didn't fall by itself from the tree. That lasted about an hour.

It just depends on how much you want to ignore and how much you want to face. I chose to stop eating it and stuck with it because to me, I'm doing my part and that's all I can really do now.

My 2 cents
  8. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.97%

Quote Originally Posted by MESSPLAY View Post
    I'm a vegetarian

Tofu
    Bean Curd
    Dairy Products
    Soy
    Nuts

I eat more protein than anyone I know. It's easy. One of my fat-free cheese sticks packs in 60 calories and 6 grams of protein. Extra-firm tofu is LOADED with protein. Good stuff.

Harder to adjust to. I made the change in 7th grade, and 5 1/2 years later it's just standard.

You really don't even think about meat or miss it. In today's market there's so many alternatives that taste so close to the real thing (Yes I would know, I ate it for 12 years) that it's easy to stick with it.

My brother though... he's a vegan. He eats a ton of tofu and veggies. He lives off the stuff. He doesn't really watch his carbs like I do so he goes all out on the breads and stuff. He can pig out like crazy and not gain a single pound.

So I could understand a vegan diet when you take something like a nutrient repartitioner like neovar or anabolic pump or yellowgold.

It gets hard, once your vegan you start worrying about every aspect of your life that is contributing to the death of animals in some indirect way. In the end you have to turn your back to a lot of it (sitting on a leather sofa LOL). At one point my brother got so extreme that he said he wasn't going to eat anything that didn't fall by itself from the tree. That lasted about an hour.

It just depends on how much you want to ignore and how much you want to face. I chose to stop eating it and stuck with it because to me, I'm doing my part and that's all I can really do now.

My 2 cents
    yeah.. some vegans take that stuff to far, they might as well just kill themselves

thanks for the info.

I still would never be a vegan, I think its kind of pointless considering all the the things we as humans destroy just to live a daily life. Plus some animals were made to be eaten, plain and simple.
  9. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%

Quote Originally Posted by PHWSSJ View Post

I still would never be a vegan, I think its kind of pointless considering all the the things we as humans destroy just to live a daily life. .
    so its all or nothing? If everyone just did the small things, it would make a drastic impact. I'm not saying go be a vegan, I'm just saying the all or nothing attitude is very defeatist.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.47%

All you have to do is look at Ricky Williams. The dude is jacked and he is a vegan.

I have a question though, are any of your vegan/vegetarians getting any kind of adverse effects from soy. (i.e. estrogen related problems). I am very sensitive to estrogen and had a bilateral excision for gynecomastia. I am just curious
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.11%

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates44 View Post
    All you have to do is look at Ricky Williams. The dude is jacked and he is a vegan.

I have a question though, are any of your vegan/vegetarians getting any kind of adverse effects from soy. (i.e. estrogen related problems). I am very sensitive to estrogen and had a bilateral excision for gynecomastia. I am just curious
    I cant speak for your condition but I eat the stuff 24/7 for about 5 years and I've noticed 0 effects.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Vegan/ Raw lifestyle, need diet help!
    By heatherh in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 01:54 PM
  2. Vegan vs vegetarian vs "normal" diet
    By EBF Inc in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM
  3. Vegan diet
    By lastchance in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 03:49 PM
  4. Replies: 0