HELP! Growing a belly

dirtyAl

Awards
I'm trying to bulk right now, so i try to eat a lot, but instead of putting on some muscle i'm growing a belly. and i don't mean fat, but my stomach grows and i look like a pregnant woman in a 4th month:confused:. i don't eat a lot at once, but spread out the meals evenly. any help?

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Maybe try some cortisol control. Could be putting on VAT. Just a guess though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is a mix of increased fat mass and stomach distention. Decreasing the amount of kcals and volume of food will help to alleviate your problem.

azr101

azr101

Awards
It is a mix of increased fat mass and stomach distention. Decreasing the amount of kcals and volume of food will help to alleviate your problem.
Yep, just the distension can really feel like an extra 10 pounds around your gut. I'm normally a 30 inch waist, but bulking out last summer I got up to a 37" waist!
Remember those goofy ass jumbo, multi-color, mc hammer type, bodybuilding pants from the late 80's early 90's? That whole look starts making sense sometimes..

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Maybe try some cortisol control. Could be putting on VAT. Just a guess though.
sounds like inflammation. dont know what you've been eating but try this:

a whole asprin each day
antioxidants (pick your faves, C, E, zinc, etc, but try at least 2)
reduce cortisol

r u going thru a tough time with something? job, family etc?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm trying to bulk right now, so i try to eat a lot, but instead of putting on some muscle i'm growing a belly. and i don't mean fat, but my stomach grows and i look like a pregnant woman in a 4th month:confused:. i don't eat a lot at once, but spread out the meals evenly. any help?
How long has it been since you started your bulking? If your fairly early into it, I highly doubt it's due to increased fat accumulation either subQ or visceral.

It takes the body a little while to adapt to increased food consumption, and stomach distention and upset is fairly common in the earlier stages of a bulk diet. It's basic physiology, the more you eat the more your stomach will distend. That coupled with increased water weight thru higher amounts of sodium and carb consumption can contribute to your problem.

Magnus19

Magnus19

Awards
the foods you eat can also have a big impact. oatmeal bloats me the most out of anything, except maybe potatoes. what carb sources are you currently eating?

dirtyAl

Awards
Thank you very much for all your help...
I never actually thought of cortisol control (don't know what's VAT). i'll try to do something about that.
I've been bulking since august, so it's not due to the early start. the saddest thing is that even if i eat like 2000 kcals my stomach's still distend. distention is not a cool thing as i know that once you get the distention it's really hard to get back to normal.
as for the carbs that i'm eating, they are: oatmeal, rice, pasta and potatoes. i don't really worry about the "bad" foods like pizza, etc., because it is REALLY hard for me to put on fat and weight, so i eat everything...

Magnus19

Magnus19

Awards
I never actually thought of cortisol control (don't know what's VAT). i'll try to do something about that.
I've been bulking since august, so it's not due to the early start. the saddest thing is that even if i eat like 2000 kcals my stomach's still distend. distention is not a cool thing as i know that once you get the distention it's really hard to get back to normal.
as for the carbs that i'm eating, they are: oatmeal, rice, pasta and potatoes. i don't really worry about the "bad" foods like pizza, etc., because it is REALLY hard for me to put on fat and weight, so i eat everything...
how far apart are your meals spaced? if its currently at 2 hours apart, try bumping it ahead to 3. that should give your stomach some extra time to empty a little before you fill it up again.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Digestive enzymes may help too. They sure helped me with the bloat I get from protein/oat shakes.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I never actually thought of cortisol control (don't know what's VAT)....
visceral adipose tissue

bigrabbit

Awards
how many cals a day do u think u take? how old, how tall and how much do u weigh?

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
My wife makes me a ginger and mint tea when i've eaten too much and that really helps.

I don't bulk any more but i'm sure a few cups during the day would help if your problem is digestion.

Jag