Some good finds in the Dairy Isle!

Azaloth

Awards
As an ecto constantly trying to bulk but with a busy schedule, I generally eat at least 1-2 yogurts a day as a between meal snack when I don't have time to mix a shake.

Anyway, I just came accross an absolutely kickass greek-style yogurt called Chobani (here are the facts: Chobani Greek Yogurt - Nonfat. All Natural Yogurt.). It's delicious, fat free, comes in lots of flavors, and packs 18g of protein (or 14g in the flavored varities)! The sugar content is a bit high but I think that's a small price to pay for so much protein in a form that tastes so great. The only other problem with Chobani is that it's not organic. Fortunately, there's Oikos (Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt: Greek Yogurt nuttrition facts here: Stonyfield Farm Oikos 6oz plain) which is basically identical but also organic... unfotunately it only comes in plain and vanilla so I get it only when I'm in a place where I can add my own flavoring (a teaspoon of 100% fruit jam or some organic honey usually works well).

This is the best find since Farmland Skim Plus milk, which has more calcium and protein than normal milk and is available in skim, lactose free, and omega-3 enhanced 1% varieties, all of which taste better than normal whole milk!)

Also check out some of the new organic fat-free kefir products that are hitting the market.

Lots of good new stuff in the dairy isle these days for times when you want a break from shakes or don't have time to make one.

Topfueljunkie

Topfueljunkie

Awards
I know this is an old thread, but yeah, kefir ROCKS! I get the low fat, unsweetened, organic kind. Its only got 2gr of fat, 12gr of carbs - 3 of which is inulin, a natural dietary fiber, and a whopping 14 GRAMS OF PROTEIN PER 8 OZ SERVING !!! That's almost twice the amount of protein in an equivalent amount of milk ! Not too mention it's got all that good bacteria and live cultures which help your digestive tract get the most out of everything else you eat. Good stuff!

Azaloth

Awards
Hah, I'm glad to see someone noticed this thread. Lifeway Organic lowfat Kefir and the Oikos organic greek yogurts have become my dairy staples, along with Farmland Skim Plus and 1% Plus Omega-3 Enhanced Milk (both have more protein and calcium than normal milk and taste better to boot). Now if only Farmland would release an organic version of their milks, I'd be in heaven.

Topfueljunkie

Topfueljunkie

Awards
Right on man. Lifeway is the exact brand I buy too. Kinda reminds me of the taste of buttermilk which I actually like. As far as organic milk, right after finding this thread (well, actually, it was just a single post at the time) I started looking online to find raw organic whole milk. I'm suprised how hard it is to find!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Organic food is a rip off. Just eat the normal stuff. And if your trying to constantly bulk then scrap the skim milk and chug down a gallon of ful fat milk everyday!!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Organic food is a rip off. Just eat the normal stuff. And if your trying to constantly bulk then scrap the skim milk and chug down a gallon of ful fat milk everyday!!
Full Fat Milk, what a joke....I funnel heavy cream at least 6 times a day. JK . I usually agree with the whole non-organic thing just because its way to expensive, but I definitely prefer a milk without artificial hormones in it. I definitely agree with Australian though that if your bulking don't be afraid of dairy fats in moderation. You guys may also want to check out Fage greek yogurt as well, its like 20g protein a serving with almost no carbs, damn pricey though.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Azaloth - where do you buy that stuff? Some higher end grocery store? Or can you get at a Target/Wal-mart?
I want to check them out.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh how I would love all those options. The beauty of consumerist America is the massive selection you have. Despite being advanced, in Canada we don't have as much variety, although Whole Food is expanding and bringing in a lot of variety, but they're expensive and nowhere near my university.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
"Dairy Isle"? That would be Guernsey, I guess....

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to have to try them out - I usually eat one yoplait a day, but it only has 5g of protein.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I do like the fat free greek yogurt, it tastes very much like a cross between sour cream and cream cheese, and is thicker than the fat free versions of either, so makes a great subsitite for both.