The Vegetarian Protein Dilemma

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
So does anything else compare to the protein amount you can get with fat free cottage cheese, whey protein isolate, ww pasta, and egg whites? Besides meat products? I mean I love the above mentioned foods but, being a vegetarian, I need some more variety! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if anything compares to meat products but you cna combine nuts and legumes to add to your protein intake. If you were vegan, you'd just be screwed but as someone who is willing to consume animal products (like those you mentioned), you're fine. You should probably explore different ways to prepare the foods that you do eat for the variety (different spices and sauces). Best of luck to you.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if anything compares to meat products but you cna combine nuts and legumes to add to your protein intake. If you were vegan, you'd just be screwed but as someone who is willing to consume animal products (like those you mentioned), you're fine. You should probably explore different ways to prepare the foods that you do eat for the variety (different spices and sauces). Best of luck to you.
Yeah, thats what i figured, adding stuff like tobasco to my eggs, or different flavs of WPI. Just thought I'd see if there was anything I'd missed out on so far. Thanks for the feedback!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
AM has a recipes section. There aren't many vegetarian ones but you could still get some good ideas.

YYZ94

Awards
I've been living off of Morningstar Farms frozen products in spite of the price.

Good: Grillers prime (17g protein 9g of Fat), Meal starters "Steak" Strips and Ground Soy "Beef" (great for tacos/burritos, pasta sauce, chili), Buffalo "Chicken" Wings (spicy, chock full of protein)
Bad: Hot dogs (just taste terrible, and it's $4 for a pack!!)

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
I've been living off of Morningstar Farms frozen products in spite of the price.

Good: Grillers prime (17g protein 9g of Fat), Meal starters "Steak" Strips and Ground Soy "Beef" (great for tacos/burritos, pasta sauce, chili), Buffalo "Chicken" Wings (spicy, chock full of protein)
Bad: Hot dogs (just taste terrible, and it's $4 for a pack!!)
Bingo.

The morningstar farms bacon IS SO GOOD IT FOOLS MY TASTEBUDS.

Also, GIMME LEAN sausage is SO Good for you and it tastes AMAZING.

Tofu/soy products, nuts and legumes, bean curd; you can't go wrong.

If you're shot out on recipes, pick up a copy of "The Soy Zone" for some great cooking ideas. Or you could throw me a pm and I could share some of my family favorites.

I get so much protein it's not even funny.

-MESSPLAY

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
boca's ground beef-like substance is pretty tasty.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
You guys ever tossed some Redi-burger or Vege-burger in your spaghetti sauce? YUM!

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
TVP will turn any dish into a protien delight. My girl makes a great vegitarian chilli.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Egg Beaters. Thumbs up or down? I've had 'em once on a backpacking trip, but that was a long time ago, so I can't remember the flavor/texture/nutritional info. Anybody like or use these?

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Egg Beaters. Thumbs up or down? I've had 'em once on a backpacking trip, but that was a long time ago, so I can't remember the flavor/texture/nutritional info. Anybody like or use these?
Go with kirkland signature egg starts. Way cheaper, doesn't have that chemical taste and they behave more like real eggs. Egg beaters always made me gag.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Go with kirkland signature egg starts. Way cheaper, doesn't have that chemical taste and they behave more like real eggs. Egg beaters always made me gag.
Are they even really worth it? I mean whats a dozen eggs cost, like $2-3 max? Is there anything that makes them superior to eggs besides the vegan aspect?

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Are they even really worth it? I mean whats a dozen eggs cost, like $2-3 max? Is there anything that makes them superior to eggs besides the vegan aspect?
oh, no they're not vegan. They're just eggwhites. tons of protein and they're really cheap. You can buy them in bulk which saves a ton of money. You can put them in the freezer and defrost them a day or two ahead.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
oh, no they're not vegan. They're just eggwhites. tons of protein and they're really cheap. You can buy them in bulk which saves a ton of money. You can put them in the freezer and defrost them a day or two ahead.
Hmm... I'm now intrigued. I guess I'm gonna have to give 'em a shot. Do you know off hand how much they usually run? Also, do most supermarkets carry them, or should I hit up my local Natural Foods store?

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
I am currently subscribed to a newsletter from vegetariantimes.com, and I get quite a few recipes. When you strip it down its the basics, but some of the recipes look damn tasty and seem easy to make.
Ditto on the above regarding legumes. If you are lazy like I am, just get a slow cooker, get some lentils red or green, rinse, sort, throw in some onions, garlic, peppers, and let the thing cook overnight..serve on top of brown rice, and your set.
Anyways vegetarian times will have gobs of cool recipes.
MK9