Oats? - AnabolicMinds.com

Oats?

1. New Member

Oats?

Probably an easy question for most, I see everyone say, GET OATS with everything. I just got some and have been eating lots for past few days since I am bulking, but what do you get from oats that your body needs so badly that doesn't come from anything else? lol

Does it help for bulking or building muscle? or it is just a very healthy decision for food.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDP View Post
    Probably an easy question for most, I see everyone say, GET OATS with everything. I just got some and have been eating lots for past few days since I am bulking, but what do you get from oats that your body needs so badly that doesn't come from anything else? lol

Does it help for bulking or building muscle? or it is just a very healthy decision for food.
    Carbs. You bought a big tub of them, not those little packets of sugar, right?
  3. New Member

it is a box of like morning oats, little grains of stuff. Not powdered but closes I can find. It doesn't mix too well, and hard to drink in a shake I make with it, but I might try that Oat Flour stuff. lol
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

it is a box of like morning oats, little grains of stuff. Not powdered but closes I can find. It doesn't mix too well, and hard to drink in a shake I make with it, but I might try that Oat Flour stuff. lol
    Just go get a tub of Quaker Rolled Oats (Old fashioned, not 'Quick Oats). The store brand/generic will work too.
  5. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xodus View Post
    Just go get a tub of Quaker Rolled Oats (Old fashioned, not 'Quick Oats). The store brand/generic will work too.
    sounds good, I will just finish this off and get some of those Maybe I should get a coffee grinder too like other people were saying to make it easier to mix.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

sounds good, I will just finish this off and get some of those Maybe I should get a coffee grinder too like other people were saying to make it easier to mix.
    Coffee grinder works, but so does a regular blender. Just throw them in, they will be ground up.

If you use a coffee grinder, do NOT use it for coffee afterwards. For some reason when I did it in the past it made me throw up my coffee afterwards. *(Yes, I cleaned the grinder)
  7. New Member

Coffee grinder works, but so does a regular blender. Just throw them in, they will be ground up.

If you use a coffee grinder, do NOT use it for coffee afterwards. For some reason when I did it in the past it made me throw up my coffee afterwards. *(Yes, I cleaned the grinder)
    Last question I swear lol (on OATS!)

Put them in without the shake and add it after? or put them all in together, I would assume without the shake first.
  8. Senior Member

Cholesterol lowering, full of antioxidants, assists with keeping blood sugar levels stable and the immune system functioning well. Also a great and tasty carb source with fibre and gives you sustained energy. I always have a bowl pre-workout.

More info:
    WHFoods: Oats
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

Last question I swear lol (on OATS!)

Put them in without the shake and add it after? or put them all in together, I would assume without the shake first.
    Throw everything in the blender and puree' the hell out of it all.
  10. New Member

Getting your oats off

Throw everything in the blender and puree' the hell out of it all.
    Whole oats work better at controlling your appetite and Blood Sugar. Help me here - why would anyone want to puree them?
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Anyone use McCann's Irish oats? I saw them in the store the other day and the nutritional facts looked fairly decent. Here's a link:

Calories in McCann's Irish Oatmeal - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives - The Daily Plate Calorie Counter

And McCann's official site:

McCann's Irish Oatmeal - Home
  12. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hurleyboy05 View Post
    Anyone use McCann's Irish oats? I saw them in the store the other day and the nutritional facts looked fairly decent. Here's a link:

Calories in McCann's Irish Oatmeal - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives - The Daily Plate Calorie Counter

And McCann's official site:

McCann's Irish Oatmeal - Home

I just bought some McCann's today! Cinnamon Roll flavored. Yummm.... and as a bonus it is 30-50 calories less than Quaker or the other brands. I was pretty impressed with the nutrition label.
    Last edited by bassgirl; 12-17-2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: my crap typing :-P
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bassgirl View Post
    I just bought some McCann's today! Cinnamon Roll flavored. Yummm.... and as a bonus it is 30-50 calories less than Quaker or the other brands. I was pretty impressed with the nutrition label.
    Cool! I didn't grab any when I saw it, but I will next time. I'm tired of that d@mn Quaker guy smiling at me all the time.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

Whole oats work better at controlling your appetite and Blood Sugar. Help me here - why would anyone want to puree them?
    He's looking to make a weight gainer shake.
  15. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

The GI of rolled oats is not effected by grinding. Steel cut on the other hand would be. The nutritional values remain unchanged.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Oats are amazing for bulking, cutting, and several health related aspects. I love them on my protein shakes. The great things about oats include:
    - High fiber content
    - Cheap, which means I can spend more money on steroids
    - Lowers cholesterol
    - Better bowel movements
    - Great for recovery and pre-workout nutrition
    - Very convenient and easy to use

If oats was a woman I'd have to marry her
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

I eat oats three or four times a day. There's not a better, more convenient source of carbs in my opinion.
  19. New Member

Post oats

Oats have numerous uses in food; most commonly, they are rolled or crushed into oatmeal, or ground into fine oat flour. Oatmeal is chiefly eaten as porridge, but may also used in a variety of baked goods, such as oatcakes, oatmeal cookies, and oat bread. Oats are also an ingredient in many cold cereals, in particular muesli and granola. Oats may also be consumed raw, and cookies with raw oats are becoming popular.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Xodus, Why do you have to buy the Old Fashioned Quaker Oats. What is wrong with the Quick Oats.
  21. Advanced Member

So, let's say I'm lazy and I am in a hurry and need quick carbs. Can I just eat a handful of oats straight out of the tub?
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMeso View Post
    So, let's say I'm lazy and I am in a hurry and need quick carbs. Can I just eat a handful of oats straight out of the tub?
    Yeah, but you may want some water
  23. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hurleyboy05 View Post
    Yeah, but you may want some water
    be careful though. That stuff sets like cement unless you have enough water. lol.

Cant wait to try my new Oatmeal. What's your fave granola bar?
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by basspro View Post
    Xodus, Why do you have to buy the Old Fashioned Quaker Oats. What is wrong with the Quick Oats.

Quick Oats are rolled thinner when processed to make them cook faster. I believe they are less calorically dense too. Sugar content would be more suspect in the 'Instant Oats' vs. Quick Oats.

The old fashioned take the same amount of time to cook in the microwave as the 'quick', If you are grinding them in a shake, not sure it actually would matter much, other than having to increase the volume to get the same calorie count.

Steel Cut would be the most calorically dense.
  25. Senior Member

be careful though. That stuff sets like cement unless you have enough water. lol.

Cant wait to try my new Oatmeal. What's your fave granola bar?
    Special k bars. I eat a box of them on high carb days and a box of special k waffles.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Gotta go with Sunbelt Granola bars, my stepdads a McKee Foods plant manager, so I get 'em cheap. The low fat ones taste great!

McCanns makes flavored Steel Cut Oats
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.

Quick Oats are rolled thinner when processed to make them cook faster. I believe they are less calorically dense too. Sugar content would be more suspect in the 'Instant Oats' vs. Quick Oats.

The old fashioned take the same amount of time to cook in the microwave as the 'quick', If you are grinding them in a shake, not sure it actually would matter much, other than having to increase the volume to get the same calorie count.

Really? I could have sworn that when I checked out the Quaker Oats website they said the quick oats were the same as old fashioned, they are just crushed thinner to quicker cooking.

In fact I pulled this from Quaker

What is the difference between Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal and Quick Quaker Oats?
    Quaker Old Fashioned Oats are whole oat groats that are rolled to flatten them. They contain all parts of the oat grain including the bran, endosperm and germ portion. Quick Quaker Oats are made the same way but are simply cut into slightly smaller pieces so they cook faster.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I honestly don't know.
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    Really? I could have sworn that when I checked out the Quaker Oats website they said the quick oats were the same as old fashioned, they are just crushed thinner to quicker cooking.

In fact I pulled this from Quaker

What is the difference between Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal and Quick Quaker Oats?
    Quaker Old Fashioned Oats are whole oat groats that are rolled to flatten them. They contain all parts of the oat grain including the bran, endosperm and germ portion. Quick Quaker Oats are made the same way but are simply cut into slightly smaller pieces so they cook faster.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I honestly don't know.
    Yeah, that's what I said:

Quick Oats are rolled thinner when processed to make them cook faster. I believe they are less calorically dense too.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Makes sense, I will stick with the old fashioned just to be on the safe side.
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

I buy oats 3 to 4 tubs at a time and the store usually mixes the tubs together. Needless to say I have two tubs of each currently and they cost the same. Old fashioned and Quick are nutritionally identical, unless they're lying to us. The only difference is that the quick oats cut better in a blender than the whole oats.

BTW, I agree with you Hurley about the grin. It's kinda creepy to have them all lined up...staring at you...smiling...
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

Similar Forum Threads

1. oats
    By dalejmurphy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 04:41 PM
  2. blending oats?
    By tecfal103 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 02:43 PM
  3. Regular oats vs. instant oatmeal
    By NPursuit in forum Weight Loss