Oats?

DanDP

Awards
Probably an easy question for most, I see everyone say, GET OATS with everything. I just got some and have been eating lots for past few days since I am bulking, but what do you get from oats that your body needs so badly that doesn't come from anything else? lol

Does it help for bulking or building muscle? or it is just a very healthy decision for food.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Probably an easy question for most, I see everyone say, GET OATS with everything. I just got some and have been eating lots for past few days since I am bulking, but what do you get from oats that your body needs so badly that doesn't come from anything else? lol

Does it help for bulking or building muscle? or it is just a very healthy decision for food.
Carbs. You bought a big tub of them, not those little packets of sugar, right?

DanDP

Awards
it is a box of like morning oats, little grains of stuff. Not powdered but closes I can find. It doesn't mix too well, and hard to drink in a shake I make with it, but I might try that Oat Flour stuff. lol

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
it is a box of like morning oats, little grains of stuff. Not powdered but closes I can find. It doesn't mix too well, and hard to drink in a shake I make with it, but I might try that Oat Flour stuff. lol
Just go get a tub of Quaker Rolled Oats (Old fashioned, not 'Quick Oats). The store brand/generic will work too.

DanDP

Awards
Just go get a tub of Quaker Rolled Oats (Old fashioned, not 'Quick Oats). The store brand/generic will work too.
sounds good, I will just finish this off and get some of those :) Maybe I should get a coffee grinder too like other people were saying to make it easier to mix.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
sounds good, I will just finish this off and get some of those :) Maybe I should get a coffee grinder too like other people were saying to make it easier to mix.
Coffee grinder works, but so does a regular blender. Just throw them in, they will be ground up.

If you use a coffee grinder, do NOT use it for coffee afterwards. For some reason when I did it in the past it made me throw up my coffee afterwards. *(Yes, I cleaned the grinder)

DanDP

Awards
Coffee grinder works, but so does a regular blender. Just throw them in, they will be ground up.

If you use a coffee grinder, do NOT use it for coffee afterwards. For some reason when I did it in the past it made me throw up my coffee afterwards. *(Yes, I cleaned the grinder)
Last question I swear lol (on OATS!)

Put them in without the shake and add it after? or put them all in together, I would assume without the shake first.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Cholesterol lowering, full of antioxidants, assists with keeping blood sugar levels stable and the immune system functioning well. Also a great and tasty carb source with fibre and gives you sustained energy. I always have a bowl pre-workout.

More info:
WHFoods: Oats

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Last question I swear lol (on OATS!)

Put them in without the shake and add it after? or put them all in together, I would assume without the shake first.
Throw everything in the blender and puree' the hell out of it all.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Getting your oats off

Throw everything in the blender and puree' the hell out of it all.
Whole oats work better at controlling your appetite and Blood Sugar. Help me here - why would anyone want to puree them?

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Anyone use McCann's Irish oats? I saw them in the store the other day and the nutritional facts looked fairly decent. Here's a link:

Calories in McCann's Irish Oatmeal - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives - The Daily Plate Calorie Counter

And McCann's official site:

McCann's Irish Oatmeal - Home

I just bought some McCann's today! Cinnamon Roll flavored. Yummm.... and as a bonus it is 30-50 calories less than Quaker or the other brands. I was pretty impressed with the nutrition label.

Last edited:
Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I just bought some McCann's today! Cinnamon Roll flavored. Yummm.... and as a bonus it is 30-50 calories less than Quaker or the other brands. I was pretty impressed with the nutrition label.
Cool! I didn't grab any when I saw it, but I will next time. I'm tired of that d@mn Quaker guy smiling at me all the time.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Whole oats work better at controlling your appetite and Blood Sugar. Help me here - why would anyone want to puree them?
He's looking to make a weight gainer shake.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
The GI of rolled oats is not effected by grinding. Steel cut on the other hand would be. The nutritional values remain unchanged.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established

Oats are amazing for bulking, cutting, and several health related aspects. I love them on my protein shakes. The great things about oats include:
- High fiber content
- Cheap, which means I can spend more money on steroids :D
- Lowers cholesterol
- Better bowel movements
- Great for recovery and pre-workout nutrition
- Very convenient and easy to use

If oats was a woman I'd have to marry her :)

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
I eat oats three or four times a day. There's not a better, more convenient source of carbs in my opinion.

sreeja

Awards
oats

Oats have numerous uses in food; most commonly, they are rolled or crushed into oatmeal, or ground into fine oat flour. Oatmeal is chiefly eaten as porridge, but may also used in a variety of baked goods, such as oatcakes, oatmeal cookies, and oat bread. Oats are also an ingredient in many cold cereals, in particular muesli and granola. Oats may also be consumed raw, and cookies with raw oats are becoming popular.

basspro

basspro

Awards
Xodus, Why do you have to buy the Old Fashioned Quaker Oats. What is wrong with the Quick Oats.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
So, let's say I'm lazy and I am in a hurry and need quick carbs. Can I just eat a handful of oats straight out of the tub?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Xodus, Why do you have to buy the Old Fashioned Quaker Oats. What is wrong with the Quick Oats.

Quick Oats are rolled thinner when processed to make them cook faster. I believe they are less calorically dense too. Sugar content would be more suspect in the 'Instant Oats' vs. Quick Oats.

The old fashioned take the same amount of time to cook in the microwave as the 'quick', If you are grinding them in a shake, not sure it actually would matter much, other than having to increase the volume to get the same calorie count.

Steel Cut would be the most calorically dense.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
be careful though. That stuff sets like cement unless you have enough water. lol.

Cant wait to try my new Oatmeal. What's your fave granola bar?
Special k bars. I eat a box of them on high carb days and a box of special k waffles.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Gotta go with Sunbelt Granola bars, my stepdads a McKee Foods plant manager, so I get 'em cheap. The low fat ones taste great!

McCanns makes flavored Steel Cut Oats

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Quick Oats are rolled thinner when processed to make them cook faster. I believe they are less calorically dense too. Sugar content would be more suspect in the 'Instant Oats' vs. Quick Oats.

The old fashioned take the same amount of time to cook in the microwave as the 'quick', If you are grinding them in a shake, not sure it actually would matter much, other than having to increase the volume to get the same calorie count.

Really? I could have sworn that when I checked out the Quaker Oats website they said the quick oats were the same as old fashioned, they are just crushed thinner to quicker cooking.

In fact I pulled this from Quaker

What is the difference between Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal and Quick Quaker Oats?
Quaker Old Fashioned Oats are whole oat groats that are rolled to flatten them. They contain all parts of the oat grain including the bran, endosperm and germ portion. Quick Quaker Oats are made the same way but are simply cut into slightly smaller pieces so they cook faster.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I honestly don't know.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Really? I could have sworn that when I checked out the Quaker Oats website they said the quick oats were the same as old fashioned, they are just crushed thinner to quicker cooking.

In fact I pulled this from Quaker

What is the difference between Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal and Quick Quaker Oats?
Quaker Old Fashioned Oats are whole oat groats that are rolled to flatten them. They contain all parts of the oat grain including the bran, endosperm and germ portion. Quick Quaker Oats are made the same way but are simply cut into slightly smaller pieces so they cook faster.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I honestly don't know.
Yeah, that's what I said:

Quick Oats are rolled thinner when processed to make them cook faster. I believe they are less calorically dense too.

basspro

basspro

Awards
Makes sense, I will stick with the old fashioned just to be on the safe side.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I buy oats 3 to 4 tubs at a time and the store usually mixes the tubs together. Needless to say I have two tubs of each currently and they cost the same. Old fashioned and Quick are nutritionally identical, unless they're lying to us. The only difference is that the quick oats cut better in a blender than the whole oats.

BTW, I agree with you Hurley about the grin. It's kinda creepy to have them all lined up...staring at you...smiling...