What is the healthiest bodyfat % for a male?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
In your opinion what is the best bodyfat percentage for a adult male to be at and maintain?

I know that 20% is unhealthy and so is sub 5% so where should we hang around at?

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I've always thought ~10-15% was generally the healthiest.

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
this question has no finite and universal answer... individuals body composition will differ based on genetics. For men, 3-5%bf is considered the essential minimum to live, and disease risk factors begin to increase at about 20%. Someone who has a natural predisposition to holding more BF will IMO be healthier at their naturally higher bf, then they would be at an unmaintainably low bf.... and vissa-versa....

shortstop1616

Awards
Although genetics do play a minor role it is acceptable for a male to be around ~15%. Trained athletes are usually on the lower end of the spectrum between 8 and 13%. 3% of bodyfat is essential as it surrounds vital tissues and organs. Even if one dies from starvation their body is never completely rid of this essential fat.

Low body fat does not necessarily mean you are healthy, but it is an indicator. The answer you are looking for is 15%

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Although genetics do play a minor role it is acceptable for a male to be around ~15%. Trained athletes are usually on the lower end of the spectrum between 8 and 13%. 3% of bodyfat is essential as it surrounds vital tissues and organs. Even if one dies from starvation their body is never completely rid of this essential fat.

Low body fat does not necessarily mean you are healthy, but it is an indicator. The answer you are looking for is 15%
thats what i was thinking. arent woman 25%??

thanks btw all who ever post in a thread that i start. It makes me not feel so lonely and stupid :D

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
In your opinion what is the best bodyfat percentage for a adult male to be at and maintain?

I know that 20% is unhealthy and so is sub 5% so where should we hang around at?
Between 5% and 20%.:lol:

I have no clue bro. I'm just a dumb ass when it comes to knowing that stuff.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha smartass.

I do think the other guy has a point. A naturally lower bf% male would feel healthier at a lower bf% vs. a high bf% and vice versa.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i always thought 15% was average for males but was wondering if 10% would be better for all.... i guess there is no real answer, just wanted to discuss a lil.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
IN college i got myself as low as 5-6%. I felt lousy, my joints hurt, i felt very frail. My endurance sucked and my lifts were also lousy.. but i looked ripped lol. I feel very good now at about 9-10% When i do cardio it feels like i can go all day and my lifts are where they should be.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No one can give a precise answer. Only guidance. The best answer will probably fall within a range that stretches from about 10% to about 25%. There are many metabolic and environmental (including life-style) processes that would define an optimal BF% for a given male. And this optimum will change as a typical male progresses through the different age brackets. So, even if someone could propose an "ideal" theoretical BF%, it cannot have general validity, as it would be different for men in different age categories.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

According to my chart I have that came with my Fat Track Caliper for your age <11 is excellent. There is whole chart with "very good", "good", "fair", "poor" and excellent. For someone 19-24 years of age <11 is excellent. For someone 35-39(my group) <16% is Excellent. So it depends on your age.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
According to my chart I have that came with my Fat Track Caliper for your age <11 is excellent. There is whole chart with "very good", "good", "fair", "poor" and excellent. For someone 19-24 years of age <11 is excellent. For someone 35-39(my group) <16% is Excellent. So it depends on your age.
there is the answer I was looking for. thanks. I think im around there right now. Ill probably go for 9% but i really never check my bf% i just go on the mirror or rough estimates base on height weight and waist size. (however accurate that is)

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some might find this useful:

What is a Healthy Body Fat Percentage?
Age-Adjusted Body Fat Charts for Men and Women

Based on World Health Organization and National Institutes of Health recommendations, and takes age into account.

Age-Adusted Body Fat Percentage Recommendations

Women

Age----------Underfat---Healthy Range--Overweight---Obese
20-40 yrs----Under 21%----21-33%----33-39%----Over 39%
41-60 yrs----Under 23%----23-35%----35-40%----Over 40%
61-79 yrs----Under 24%----24-36%----36-42%----Over 42%

Men

20-40 yrs----Under 8%----8-19%------19-25%------Over 25%
41-60 yrs----Under 11%--11-22%-----22-27%------Over 27%
61-79 yrs----Under 13%--13-25%-----25-30%------Over 30%

Source: Gallagher et al. Am J Clin Nut 2000; 72:694-701

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some might find this useful:

What is a Healthy Body Fat Percentage?
Age-Adjusted Body Fat Charts for Men and Women

Based on World Health Organization and National Institutes of Health recommendations, and takes age into account.

Age-Adusted Body Fat Percentage Recommendations

Women

20-40 yrs----Under 21%----21-33%----33-39%----Over 39%
41-60 yrs----Under 23%----23-35%----35-40%----Over 40%
61-79 yrs----Under 24%----24-36%----36-42%----Over 42%

Men

20-40 yrs----Under 8%----8-19%------19-25%------Over 25%
41-60 yrs----Under 11%--11-22%-----22-27%------Over 27%
61-79 yrs----Under 13%--13-25%-----25-30%------Over 30%

Source: Gallagher et al. Am J Clin Nut 2000; 72:694-701

I don't know if I trust that 20 year gap. Trust me there is a huge difference between 20 and 40...Hell, even between 20 and 30!.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know if I trust that 20 year gap. Trust me there is a huge difference between 20 and 40...Hell, even between 20 and 30!.
I get your drift. That is why the values (BF %) are also given in ranges. The tables appear to have approvals from relevant world institutions.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I would say 10 - 15% myself. I would like to be at 10% soon.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established