What is the healthiest bodyfat % for a male?

  1. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,114
    Answers
    0

    What is the healthiest bodyfat % for a male?


    In your opinion what is the best bodyfat percentage for a adult male to be at and maintain?

    I know that 20% is unhealthy and so is sub 5% so where should we hang around at?

  2. Registered User
    Ziricote's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,431
    Answers
    0


    I've always thought ~10-15% was generally the healthiest.
  3. Registered User
    smokey the bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    296
    Answers
    0


    this question has no finite and universal answer... individuals body composition will differ based on genetics. For men, 3-5%bf is considered the essential minimum to live, and disease risk factors begin to increase at about 20%. Someone who has a natural predisposition to holding more BF will IMO be healthier at their naturally higher bf, then they would be at an unmaintainably low bf.... and vissa-versa....
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    shortstop1616's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    119
    Answers
    0


    Although genetics do play a minor role it is acceptable for a male to be around ~15%. Trained athletes are usually on the lower end of the spectrum between 8 and 13%. 3% of bodyfat is essential as it surrounds vital tissues and organs. Even if one dies from starvation their body is never completely rid of this essential fat.

    Low body fat does not necessarily mean you are healthy, but it is an indicator. The answer you are looking for is 15%
  5. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,114
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by shortstop1616 View Post
    Although genetics do play a minor role it is acceptable for a male to be around ~15%. Trained athletes are usually on the lower end of the spectrum between 8 and 13%. 3% of bodyfat is essential as it surrounds vital tissues and organs. Even if one dies from starvation their body is never completely rid of this essential fat.

    Low body fat does not necessarily mean you are healthy, but it is an indicator. The answer you are looking for is 15%
    thats what i was thinking. arent woman 25%??

    thanks btw all who ever post in a thread that i start. It makes me not feel so lonely and stupid
  6. Registered User
    shortstop1616's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    119
    Answers
    0


    Thats correct women are ~20-25%
  7. Registered User
    sreeja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    25
    Answers
    0


    I think it is 15 to 20%
  8. Registered User
    datBtrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    Answers
    0

    Talking


    Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    In your opinion what is the best bodyfat percentage for a adult male to be at and maintain?

    I know that 20% is unhealthy and so is sub 5% so where should we hang around at?
    Between 5% and 20%.

    I have no clue bro. I'm just a dumb ass when it comes to knowing that stuff.
  9. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,114
    Answers
    0


    haha smartass.

    I do think the other guy has a point. A naturally lower bf% male would feel healthier at a lower bf% vs. a high bf% and vice versa.
  10. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,114
    Answers
    0


    i always thought 15% was average for males but was wondering if 10% would be better for all.... i guess there is no real answer, just wanted to discuss a lil.
  11. Registered User
    machine528's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    402
    Answers
    0


    IN college i got myself as low as 5-6%. I felt lousy, my joints hurt, i felt very frail. My endurance sucked and my lifts were also lousy.. but i looked ripped lol. I feel very good now at about 9-10% When i do cardio it feels like i can go all day and my lifts are where they should be.
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,627
    Answers
    0


    In my health class i took last semester excellent health for males was between 10-12% Good was 13%-15% and average was 15-20%, 21-25% below avg. and 25%+ was obse.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  13. Registered User
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,763
    Answers
    0


    No one can give a precise answer. Only guidance. The best answer will probably fall within a range that stretches from about 10% to about 25%. There are many metabolic and environmental (including life-style) processes that would define an optimal BF% for a given male. And this optimum will change as a typical male progresses through the different age brackets. So, even if someone could propose an "ideal" theoretical BF%, it cannot have general validity, as it would be different for men in different age categories.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  14. Registered User
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,574
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    In your opinion what is the best bodyfat percentage for a adult male to be at and maintain?

    I know that 20% is unhealthy and so is sub 5% so where should we hang around at?
    According to my chart I have that came with my Fat Track Caliper for your age <11 is excellent. There is whole chart with "very good", "good", "fair", "poor" and excellent. For someone 19-24 years of age <11 is excellent. For someone 35-39(my group) <16% is Excellent. So it depends on your age.
  15. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,114
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    According to my chart I have that came with my Fat Track Caliper for your age <11 is excellent. There is whole chart with "very good", "good", "fair", "poor" and excellent. For someone 19-24 years of age <11 is excellent. For someone 35-39(my group) <16% is Excellent. So it depends on your age.
    there is the answer I was looking for. thanks. I think im around there right now. Ill probably go for 9% but i really never check my bf% i just go on the mirror or rough estimates base on height weight and waist size. (however accurate that is)
  16. Registered User
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,763
    Answers
    0


    Some might find this useful:

    What is a Healthy Body Fat Percentage?
    Age-Adjusted Body Fat Charts for Men and Women

    Based on World Health Organization and National Institutes of Health recommendations, and takes age into account.

    Age-Adusted Body Fat Percentage Recommendations


    Women

    Age----------Underfat---Healthy Range--Overweight---Obese
    20-40 yrs----Under 21%----21-33%----33-39%----Over 39%
    41-60 yrs----Under 23%----23-35%----35-40%----Over 40%
    61-79 yrs----Under 24%----24-36%----36-42%----Over 42%

    Men

    Age----------Underfat---Healthy Range--Overweight---Obese
    20-40 yrs----Under 8%----8-19%------19-25%------Over 25%
    41-60 yrs----Under 11%--11-22%-----22-27%------Over 27%
    61-79 yrs----Under 13%--13-25%-----25-30%------Over 30%

    Source: Gallagher et al. Am J Clin Nut 2000; 72:694-701
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  17. Registered User
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,574
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Some might find this useful:

    What is a Healthy Body Fat Percentage?
    Age-Adjusted Body Fat Charts for Men and Women

    Based on World Health Organization and National Institutes of Health recommendations, and takes age into account.

    Age-Adusted Body Fat Percentage Recommendations


    Women

    Age----------Underfat---Healthy Range--Overweight---Obese
    20-40 yrs----Under 21%----21-33%----33-39%----Over 39%
    41-60 yrs----Under 23%----23-35%----35-40%----Over 40%
    61-79 yrs----Under 24%----24-36%----36-42%----Over 42%

    Men

    Age----------Underfat---Healthy Range--Overweight---Obese
    20-40 yrs----Under 8%----8-19%------19-25%------Over 25%
    41-60 yrs----Under 11%--11-22%-----22-27%------Over 27%
    61-79 yrs----Under 13%--13-25%-----25-30%------Over 30%

    Source: Gallagher et al. Am J Clin Nut 2000; 72:694-701


    I don't know if I trust that 20 year gap. Trust me there is a huge difference between 20 and 40...Hell, even between 20 and 30!.
  18. Registered User
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,763
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone;
    I don't know if I trust that 20 year gap. Trust me there is a huge difference between 20 and 40...Hell, even between 20 and 30!.
    I get your drift. That is why the values (BF %) are also given in ranges. The tables appear to have approvals from relevant world institutions.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  19. Registered User
    neoborn's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,409
    Answers
    0


    I would say 10 - 15% myself. I would like to be at 10% soon.
  20. Registered User
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,763
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by neoborn View Post
    I would say 10 - 15% myself. I would like to be at 10% soon.
    That sounds like a healthy target
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 132
    Last Post: 05-01-2010, 05:22 PM
  2. what is the theraputic dose for T3 ?
    By blackjack in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 01:54 PM
  3. what is the correct dosing for transdermals?
    By mac_dad6 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 01:15 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 02:25 PM
  5. What IS the proper dosage for 6-oxo/Nolva?
    By BigVrunga in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-14-2003, 05:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in