How long do you typically bulk and/or cut?

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I'm new to the bulk/cut thing. In the past I usually just eat around maintenance and lift weights. Obviously I hit a plateau doing that. I want to bulk for 2-3 months, then cut for 2 months. Is this sufficient or is it better to do 6 month bulks and cuts?

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on your goals, as short as 1 month and as long as 3. It is very individual, some people deal better with long term diet changes than others.

T H E O R E M

T H E O R E M

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on your goals, as short as 1 month and as long as 3. It is very individual, some people deal better with long term diet changes than others.
i agree, if your already in relatively good shape...then a couple months or so. But for substantial cutting can be much longer. Not including factors of whether you take a week off or lack consistency for short periods.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I do 6 months bulk 6 months cut. The cut usually ends up screwing me over and I spend 3 months playing catch up. This year im trying to limit the bulk so I can get real lean for summer then add slowly on the winter, something like 3-4 lbs a month max

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
I too prefer long bulks and long cuts. I find it easier to eat closer to maintenance and take my time "cutting".

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
dang, I was worried I didn't leave myself enough time. I want to be bigger by May/June so I was hoping to do a quick bulk and cut. I won't do anything drastic though. I guess next year I'll have to plan ahead better :)