red meats linked to carcinogenesis

1. red meats linked to carcinogenesis

2. I'll take the risk.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by eros62d View Post
    I'll take the risk.
    oh yea me as well. i'm by no means anti-meat haha

4. They can correlate almost anything in a large cohort study. But since correlation does not mean causation, and there are no controls in cohort studies, I don't put any stock in the so called "findings". I'm much more trusting of randomized controlled trials.

5. Quote Originally Posted by terracotta View Post
    They can correlate almost anything in a large cohort study. But since correlation does not mean causation, and there are no controls in cohort studies, I don't put any stock in the so called "findings". I'm much more trusting of randomized controlled trials.
    Interesting. I definitely agree with your statement about causation (cancer causation is a highly difficult topic), but I would put stock into this finding. I work for a leading cancer center in New York City as a research study assistant and I can tell you our studies have some extremely interesting results regarding diet. Of course, I work with patients who have prostate, bladder, and kidney cancer which this article clearly isn't targeting.

I think the take home message is to do everything in moderation, including moderation itself. Those top 20% of red meat eaters probably were stuffing down more meat in day than we do in a week.

:burg:

Just my two cents!

-HL
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by HairyLarry35 View Post
    Interesting. I definitely agree with your statement about causation (cancer causation is a highly difficult topic), but I would put stock into this finding. I work for a leading cancer center in New York City as a research study assistant and I can tell you our studies have some extremely interesting results regarding diet. Of course, I work with patients who have prostate, bladder, and kidney cancer which this article clearly isn't targeting.

I think the take home message is to do everything in moderation, including moderation itself. Those top 20% of red meat eaters probably were stuffing down more meat in day than we do in a week.

-HL
    There may even be RCTs supporting this finding, but I'd like to see those.

I definitely agree with you on the moderation front. Too much of any food can probably cause one issue or another.

7. i had a bowl full of ground beef tonight.. extra-lean of course...

does this mean I'm going to die? lol

8. I believe in 'excess in moderation'.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html

9. I eat lean beef only on training days which is 3 x's per week. I eat one lb per day so three lbs per week. Other days are Fish, chicken, etc
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness

10. my diet is just a mixture of wholesome foods - a variety of meats (lean beef, turkey, chicken, pork), eggs, wholesome grains (quinoa, cousecouse, Ezekial... and lots of potatoes), then some healthy fats. i just don't eat pounds and pounds of beef every single day. i strongly believe in everything in moderation. watch your diet and be smart about things. you wouldn't typically eat 20 whole eggs in a day, so why eat hoards of beef?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Most beneficial time to eat red meat?
    By sergroc129 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 10:50 PM
  2. LOL Red Meat Leads to Death
    By Doug8796 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
  3. MSG linked to blindness
    By Gmonkey in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 11:42 PM
  4. some links to liver protection information