100% whole wheat vs 100% whole grain bread - AnabolicMinds.com

100% whole wheat vs 100% whole grain bread

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  140 lbs.

100% whole wheat vs 100% whole grain bread

Im getting a little more confused now the more I read..

For the past 3 months I have been eating 100% whole wheat bread. What has lower gi value? 100% whole wheat bread or 100% whole grain bread??? And what brands do you recommend that have a low gi value. thanks

2. New Member

whole grain breads include grains other than wheat - in general whole grain foods have a low GI. I don't live in the US so I can't recommend a brand, but just check labels to make sure they are 100% whole grain/wheat.
  3. New Member

Short answer: it depends. lol, I bet that clears it right up for ya!

GI has to do with much more than just the type of grain, although that's involved. Wheat is lower GI than rice, but higher than say, quinoa (not that you're likely to find quinoa bread). So if a bread is really 100% whole grain, it may be slightly lower GI depending on the grains (though I doubt it would have any actual impact on body comp - not a significant enough difference).

The more finely ground the flour, the more surface area each particle has, and the higher the GI. You can have two kinds of whole wheat bread with identical ingredients except for the processing of the flour, and the one with stone ground flour will be lower GI than the one with machine processed, very fine flour (such as you might find in a 100% whole wheat bread by Wonder or some other very processed, cheap type of bread).

Additionally, most 'whole grain' breads do actually contain white flour, so read ingredients carefully.

Finally, other ingredients make a huge difference to GI. Does the bread contain sugar? Higher GI. Does it contain sourdough starter? Lower GI.

Also remember than eating bread with a little protein, fat and especially vinegar will lower the GI. Try mixing a little extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, cottage cheese and pepper. Yummy.

Hope this helps!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  140 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx Me View Post
    Short answer: it depends. lol, I bet that clears it right up for ya!

GI has to do with much more than just the type of grain, although that's involved. Wheat is lower GI than rice, but higher than say, quinoa (not that you're likely to find quinoa bread). So if a bread is really 100% whole grain, it may be slightly lower GI depending on the grains (though I doubt it would have any actual impact on body comp - not a significant enough difference).

The more finely ground the flour, the more surface area each particle has, and the higher the GI. You can have two kinds of whole wheat bread with identical ingredients except for the processing of the flour, and the one with stone ground flour will be lower GI than the one with machine processed, very fine flour (such as you might find in a 100% whole wheat bread by Wonder or some other very processed, cheap type of bread).

Additionally, most 'whole grain' breads do actually contain white flour, so read ingredients carefully.

Finally, other ingredients make a huge difference to GI. Does the bread contain sugar? Higher GI. Does it contain sourdough starter? Lower GI.

Also remember than eating bread with a little protein, fat and especially vinegar will lower the GI. Try mixing a little extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, cottage cheese and pepper. Yummy.

Hope this helps!
    okay just a quick recap of what you said.!

Look for breads that contain:

- sourdough starter
    - less sugar in the bread means a lower gi value
    - stone ground flour
    - sprouted grain breads (Ezekiel)

dont buy breads that contain:
    -white flour
    -very fine flour
    -wheat flour
    -enriched wheat flour

Oh yeah and i have some questions for you:

1. What do you think of Pumpernickel Bread, rye bread (whole wheat), oatbran bread?? Would you recommend eating that instead of whole wheat bread?

2. Which name brand breads do you eat that have a very low gi value??

thanks bread expert you should make some sort of bread sticky! Haha
  5. Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUNZ401 View Post
    thanks dude

Good post, Jinx.
  6. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Im getting a little more confused now the more I read..

For the past 3 months I have been eating 100% whole wheat bread. What has lower gi value? 100% whole wheat bread or 100% whole grain bread??? And what brands do you recommend that have a low gi value. thanks
    You want whole wheat, not whole grain.
  7. New Member

okay just a quick recap of what you said.!

Look for breads that contain:

- sourdough starter
    - less sugar in the bread means a lower gi value
    - stone ground flour
    - sprouted grain breads (Ezekiel)

dont buy breads that contain:
    -white flour
    -very fine flour
    -wheat flour
    -enriched wheat flour

Oh yeah and i have some questions for you:

1. What do you think of Pumpernickel Bread, rye bread (whole wheat), oatbran bread?? Would you recommend eating that instead of whole wheat bread?

2. Which name brand breads do you eat that have a very low gi value??

thanks bread expert you should make some sort of bread sticky! Haha
    Hey man - glad to help.

I believe pumpernickel is quite low GI. Rye, if it's whole rye, is fine. I generally just eat a bread that I enjoy, but that also has the exact qualities you mentioned, and none of the other qualities you mentioned (so yeah you hit the nail on the head).

"Wheat flour" means "white flour" - if it's whole wheat it'll say "whole". If it lists whole wheat and wheat flour, it's not 100% whole wheat. If it's stone ground or sprouted, it'll say. If it doesn't say, it's almost definitely not.

I personally like the Ezekial bread that was previously mentioned. I also eat a spelt and brown rice bread that I found in my local store (have no idea about the GI - it's just an immaculately clean and nutritious and high quality bread so I eat it). My favourite brand overall is Canadian and I doubt you can get it in the US - it's by a company called ShaSha. It's pricey too. But their Ezekial is the shiz. It's very dense, I love it.

If you keep to clean and quality brands and ingredients, I'd be happy with that, and then go by your enjoyment and price. Just my opinion. And like I said, if you REALLY want to lower GI, pop an apple cider vinegar cap a minute before you eat.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Flour Pita Bread
    By josheyy in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 11:28 AM
  2. 100% whole wheat powder exist?
    By BIGGUNZ401 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 11:57 AM
  3. How Do I Find the "True" Whole Wheat/Grain Products?
    By SHSUStudent in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 01:49 PM
  4. Whole grains vs Whole Wheats.....
    By bizzare_777 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-2005, 08:35 AM
  5. Whole-Grain Bread vs Oats
    By C0rk in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 10:32 AM