Quinoa ~ "the magical food"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. Quinoa ~ "the magical food"


    i just wanted to bring more attention to this wonderful grain.
    i've enjoyed it for years and believe it to be one of the healthiest foods around. it only takes 15 minutes to cook and you can use it as a healthier substitute for oatmeal, pasta, rice or potatoes. and it's protein profile is ideal for bodybuilding nutrition.

    Quinoa - Supergrain Unique Qualities:
    Quinoa contains more high quality protein than any other grain. Its protein content (12%–18%) is very high.

    Quinoa is the only known complete protein grain. Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete food. This means it takes less quinoa protein to meet one's needs than wheat protein.

    It provides all the essential amino acids in a balanced pattern, close to the ideal set by the United National and Agriculture Organization (FAO).

    It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered as a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights

    Nutrition Facts:
    Total Fat..........3g
    Saturated Fat...0g
    Cholesterol.......0mg
    Sodium.............5mg
    Carbohydrate...29g
    Dietary Fiber.....4g
    Sugars.............5g
    Protein.............6g


  2. One nice little trick i've done with quinoa is to do the microwave cooking, so about 1/3 cup quinoa with 2/3 cup of water. Cook it 8 minutes, let it stand for 5, cook another 2 minutes then stir in 4 eggs and cook another 2 min or so till the eggs harden. Nice with emerils essence. no, thats not a manchowder joke
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    One nice little trick i've done with quinoa is to do the microwave cooking, so about 1/3 cup quinoa with 2/3 cup of water. Cook it 8 minutes, let it stand for 5, cook another 2 minutes then stir in 4 eggs and cook another 2 min or so till the eggs harden. Nice with emerils essence. no, thats not a manchowder joke
    nice! i'll have to try this. thanks e.

  4. My issue is that no one near me sells this stuff. Not even the hippie, natural foods market sells quinoa.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    [email protected]
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post

    Nutrition Facts:
    Total Fat..........3g
    Saturated Fat...0g
    Cholesterol.......0mg
    Sodium.............5mg
    Carbohydrate...29g
    Dietary Fiber.....4g
    Sugars.............5g
    Protein.............6g
    im assuming this is half a cup?

    what does it taste like?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-GELS THE Prohormone alternative!
    anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by warbird01 View Post
    im assuming this is half a cup?

    what does it taste like?
    those nutrition facts are based on 1/4 dry or aproximatly 3/4 cup once cooked w/water.

    taste is good IMO. kind of a nutty rice like flavor.
    texture is light and fluffy.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post
    those nutrition facts are based on 1/4 dry or aproximatly 2/3 cup once cooked w/water.

    taste is good IMO. kind of a nutty rice like flavor.
    texture is light and fluffy.
    1/4?!? Damn, nice! Pretty dense stuff i take it. Where do u buys yours?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-GELS THE Prohormone alternative!
    anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html

  8. Quote Originally Posted by warbird01 View Post
    1/4?!? Damn, nice! Pretty dense stuff i take it. Where do u buys yours?
    i think my wife buys it at whole foods.

    like sinner said, most standard grocery stores don't carry it.
    unless they have a specialty health food section.

  9. Quinoa also has a lesser incidence of allergies. Many people have a mild food allergy to oatmeal, which can lead to excess cortisol production and weakened immune function.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  10. Thanks Hank! You'll recieve 2 rep points from my 17 existing points I tried quinoa a while ago, but just stopped cooking it. Now I'm inspired to use it again. Thanks!
    Freedom means nothing here.

  11. Here in florida, most of the regular grocery stores sell it.. Publix + Sweetbay both do.

  12. A vegetarian guy I work w/ offered to sell me some, since he mistakenly bought too much at his co-op. Only gonna cost me like $1.25 per lb. for as much as I want up to the 25 lbs spare he has. I figure I should buy it all and have a ton of healthy grains for winter bulking.

  13. I ended up throwing some in some chili I made. It tured out really well. I put it in raw and it just cooked slowly w/ the chili, itself.

    It absorbed the taste and softened nicely. You really couldn't tell it was there, hardly. I added 1 cup to 2 lbs of lean beef and 2 cans of beans, etc, the 1st time. Second time, I added 1.5 cups w/ the beef plus 3 cans of beans.

    I haven't tried batch #2 yet, but if it goes just as well, I'll probably experiment w/ bumping it up to 2 cups of quinoa. This is a really easy way to use quinoa and it adds a lot of nutrition and fiber, etc. Try it out.

  14. anyone know if trader joes carry this?

  15. It's the best grain out there hands down! What I love about it is you can get plenty of calories and you don't get bloated from it. A person like me with food allergies.. It's very easy on the digestive system.
    “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

  16. Quote Originally Posted by nightfly71 View Post
    I ended up throwing some in some chili I made. It tured out really well. I put it in raw and it just cooked slowly w/ the chili, itself.

    It absorbed the taste and softened nicely. You really couldn't tell it was there, hardly. I added 1 cup to 2 lbs of lean beef and 2 cans of beans, etc, the 1st time. Second time, I added 1.5 cups w/ the beef plus 3 cans of beans.

    I haven't tried batch #2 yet, but if it goes just as well, I'll probably experiment w/ bumping it up to 2 cups of quinoa. This is a really easy way to use quinoa and it adds a lot of nutrition and fiber, etc. Try it out.
    Batch#2 turned out just as well. I'm going to keep bumping up the amount of quinoa until it's saturated.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Here in florida, most of the regular grocery stores sell it.. Publix + Sweetbay both do.
    sweet

  18. ok here you guys go for those looking for some

    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gro/104-0695435-0139166?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=Quinoa&x=0&y=0"]Amazon.com: Quinoa: Grocery[/ame]

    and search ebay,,you can get a pound for 3 bucks..shipping is more..and NOW brand sells this

  19. this place has all sorts o goodies too in organics

    http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_resu...hParamTxt=1841

  20. damn thanx easy,i forgot about this website..great site for bulk protein too

  21. How do ya'll make this. I have tried it twice and it has tasted like ass on both occasions (and, yes, I did rinse it.).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  22. I've thrown a cup or 2 raw into a pot of chili as it cooks. It takes on the flavor of the chili and you barely notice the texture, since the grains are so small. Try it.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    How do ya'll make this. I have tried it twice and it has tasted like ass on both occasions (and, yes, I did rinse it.).
    what brand are you using?
    i've been eating one called "Ancient Quinoa Harvest - Inca Red."
    and i think it tastes pretty good solo. maybe it's a taste preference thing.

  24. how do you prepare this? i plan on buying some tonight

  25. Quote Originally Posted by boxmeman View Post
    how do you prepare this? i plan on buying some tonight
    it's just like making rice.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 02:06 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 03:43 AM
  3. the magic bullet is awesome
    By dynomite in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-23-2006, 01:29 PM
  4. Just went to the went to the health food store
    By Funny Monkey in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Log in
Log in