Quinoa ~ "the magical food"

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    How do ya'll make this. I have tried it twice and it has tasted like ass on both occasions (and, yes, I did rinse it.).
    I like cooking 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups water + 1 cube chicken boullion.

2. Quote Originally Posted by terracotta View Post
    sound real simple and good to me..gonna pick up some tonight at the market with the fiancee and try it
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by terracotta View Post
    I actually cooked that up tonight w/ "Inca Red" quinoa. I ended up using the equivilant of 2 boullion cubes. Using a product called "Better Than Boullion" from the health section. It was kind of a paste, supposed to be better for you, etc.

The instrauctions called for the equiv. of one cube per cup of water, so I used that. it's slightly strong, but not overpowering. 1.5 cubes equiv. prob. would've been fine, but this was still very tasty and easy to make. I'd recommend this to anyone that's looking for a nice and easy method to cook quinoa. Thanks for the idea.
  4. Never enough

Quote Originally Posted by terracotta View Post
    I tried a variation on this last nite too. One pack of this

and one of this

quite nice, my wife even liked it and she's a picky, pregnant, pain in my rear when it comes to food. I'm the primary cook, she's the primary kitchen fire starter.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

5. The quinoa i bought tonight had a good sounding curry recipe. I'll post it w/ a review soon.

6. Ok, I made the recipe the other night and it was a real treat, esp. if you love Indian food, as I do. I highly suggest it. Here's what you'll need to make it.

1 cup quinoa (rinsed well if what you buy hasn't been pre-rinsed).
    2 cups veg or chicken stock (I used a boullion substitute to approximate chicken stock).
    2 tablespoons of curry powder
    1 teaspoon turmeric (extremely beneficial spice for general health. read up on it some time).
    1 cup frozen peas

Add quinoa, curry powder, turmeric and peas to 2 cups of stock. Cover and simmer for 10-15 mins, until all the water is absorbed.

Tonight, I made it again and this time added 1 teaspoon of cumin powder, to give it even more of an East Indian kick. I thought it made it taste even better. You guys really ought to try this one.

7. Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    anyone know if trader joes carry this?

Yes they do. That's where I get mine.

8. Would you say this product(quinoa) is similar to grits?

9. Quote Originally Posted by boxmeman View Post
    Would you say this product(quinoa) is similar to grits?
    I dont think so.....

I'm gonna try some quinoa with some honey and vanilla soy milk for my carb up this saturday. I'll report back.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

10. I've been eating a lot of this lately. I've added it to chili, did the curry recipe as well as the chicken boullion. It's great stuff.

The guy at work that I bought in bulk from told me he'll get it for me once a month from the co-op he belongs to. It's officially a staple in my yr. round diet, in light of how healthy it is and now how cheap I can get it.
    •   

11. Never enough

I need to put in a 5lb order at bulkfoods instead of paying $3/lb for it at the grocery store
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

12. Just bought mine!

13. I just picked up some of this yesterday. It's expensive :O about $17/kg but it's organic. I didn't read anything about how to cook it and I'm not sure if it was pre-rinsed or not so I just cooked it without rinsing it. I guess I'll be OK but I'll be rinsing it off next time. It doesn't taste all that good but maybe it's an acquired taste.

I read the saponins that may be on it can be mildly toxic so I'll have to make sure to rinse it off well next time.

Do you need to soak it though? Wikipedia says you should soak it in water, dump the water and re-soak it or rinse it off with clean water to get rid of the saponins. Will that make it swell up at all?

This stuff is incredibly dense carb wise. Carb content is 69g(6 fibre) per 100g.

14. See if you can join up in a local food co-op. Then you'll be able to buy it and other healthy foods in bulk at a much lower price. I'm getting mine this way through a guy that has a membership...only $1.25/lb. Can't beat that.

I think it can be soaked but doesn't need to be. I've tried it w/ several recipes and it has always turned out really well. Try them out or google "quinoa recipes" and you'll find all sorts of good info.

15. That's a good idea. I found it at my grocery store for about $10/kg which is better. They are both organic so that could have something to do with the high price.

16. My experiment with honey and vanilla soy went over extremely well. If you got a real sweet tooth def give it a go.

17. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Here in florida, most of the regular grocery stores sell it.. Publix + Sweetbay both do.
    I too live in FLA, although never tried this before..
    Beleive it or not--aside from the enormous STD rates-- south florida (particularly miami) is one of the healthiest regions in the USA!
    *Hence the SOBE diet..(gotta look good to live in mia ;p)

Sorry for offtopic just kinda found that interesting how FLA sells this at publix and people in other regions have trouble finding it
  18. Never enough

they all come from them places where it snows. you need a big coating of fat to make it thru the winter
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

19. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    My experiment with honey and vanilla soy went over extremely well. If you got a real sweet tooth def give it a go.
    Can we get the specs of that recipe? Sounds like it could be a good alt. to the recipes I've seen thus far.

20. Quote Originally Posted by nightfly71 View Post
    Can we get the specs of that recipe? Sounds like it could be a good alt. to the recipes I've seen thus far.
    Yea I'll try to trace my steps.

-Rinse the quinoa
    -Put 1 cup Quinoa with 2 cups water
    -Covered and put it in the microwave for 8 minutes
    -Took it out and stirred
    -Covered again and put it back in for another 7 minutes
    -Stirred in vanilla soy milk until saturated (looked like a bowl of cereal)
    -Then I stirred in about 3TBS of honey

Since I was on a carb load I asn't concernd about anything carb wise but it was pretty sweet IMO. You could get away with a little less of both the soy milk and honey.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Yea I'll try to trace my steps.

-Rinse the quinoa
    -Put 1 cup Quinoa with 2 cups water
    -Covered and put it in the microwave for 8 minutes
    -Took it out and stirred
    -Covered again and put it back in for another 7 minutes
    -Stirred in vanilla soy milk until saturated (looked like a bowl of cereal)
    -Then I stirred in about 3TBS of honey

Since I was on a carb load I asn't concernd about anything carb wise but it was pretty sweet IMO. You could get away with a little less of both the soy milk and honey.
    Sounds good. Would you say like a cup of soymilk or what?

22. Probably a little less than a cup, maybe 3/4

23. any good recipes this wasn't as tasty as I thought it ws gonna be

24. Quote Originally Posted by boxmeman View Post
    it good recipes for thisw wasn't as tasty a I thought it ws gonna be
    huh?

25. I just bought mine at TJ's after reading this thread....

I'm going to try one half cup of this stuff cooked, with a chopped up banana, blueberries, flaxseed oil, and chocolate whey protein...kind of a cereal.
  26. Never enough

I just realized its pronounced "keenwa"
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

27. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I never knew either until I saw a pronounciation key on a package. You'd think it was like key-noah, from the spelling.

On a side note, I saw a quinoa flour tonight in the health section of a local supermarket. I'm tempted to maybe pick some up and experiment w/ it. I might incorporate it into a healthy pizza crust recipe or maybe a pancake mix, etc.
  28. Never enough

Quote Originally Posted by nightfly71 View Post
    I never knew either until I saw a pronounciation key on a package. You'd think it was like key-noah, from the spelling.

On a side note, I saw a quinoa flour tonight in the health section of a local supermarket. I'm tempted to maybe pick some up and experiment w/ it. I might incorporate it into a healthy pizza crust recipe or maybe a pancake mix, etc.
    I thought it was kwinoah like doctor quinnine.... the flour could be interesting, since it has that earthy taste. might make nice pancakes or waffles
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

29. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    haha yea I felt like an ass when I went in to the health food store and was looked at like i had no clue what I was talking about until I wrote it down and was corrected.

30. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    haha yea I felt like an ass when I went in to the health food store and was looked at like i had no clue what I was talking about until I wrote it down and was corrected.
    i pronouned it qui noah but the this hot chick in her late 20s failed to correct me but showed me exactly where it was!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 03:06 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 04:43 AM
  3. the magic bullet is awesome
    By dynomite in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-23-2006, 02:29 PM
  4. Just went to the went to the health food store
    By Funny Monkey in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0