Any suggestions for a person who suffers from diabetes?

bombBoogie

bombBoogie

Awards
  • Established
My friend's father has been diagnosis with diabetes, and recently his health has been down hill. I was wondering beside going into more meds, is there any type of supplement/s that may help?

Thank you.

krogtaar

Awards
what about keto? or low carb all the time? R-ala and anabolic pump are supposed to help use carbs in muscle

bombBoogie

bombBoogie

Awards
  • Established
I am not sure, but probably not on the exercise part. Since he runs the company and has sent for his son's return to run it. But I will take a look into r-ala as an option for him.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I think a basic staple foundation should definitely help:

MVP-365 multivitamin
Some fish oil caps
Lean Green (GTE has profound effects on diabetic activity)
Maybe some R-ALA, sure

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
I don't think most people here are really that qualified to answer this question really. More of a question for a dr. or someone who understands diabetes, but for what its worth as krogtaar mentioned a low carb or no carb diet can help since some carbs, especially those of high glycemic index which are highly prevelent in the american diet can spike blood sugar levels in ones body, and the goal (esp that of a diabetic) is to keep blood sugar levels constantly steady. but of course im no dr. so take it with a grain of salt.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I don't think most people here are really that qualified to answer this question really. More of a question for a dr. or someone who understands diabetes, but for what its worth as krogtaar mentioned a low carb or no carb diet can help since some carbs, especially those of high glycemic index which are highly prevelent in the american diet can spike blood sugar levels in ones body, and the goal (esp that of a diabetic) is to keep blood sugar levels constantly steady. but of course im no dr. so take it with a grain of salt.
Not to rattle your cage my friend, but he's not asking for medical advice here on this board. He asked if there are any supplements that 'may' help. It's quite apparent that his father has been to doctors and whatnot, so maybe he's asking for suggestions that he can even maybe bring up with his dad and/or his doctor to ponder more options on how to live with a better quality of life.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am not sure, but probably not on the exercise part. Since he runs the company and has sent for his son's return to run it. But I will take a look into r-ala as an option for him.
Given that r-ala did nothing for me I would say that it will do the same for him.

I was diagnosed 5 years ago and things like cinnamon, r-ala, chromium, and acetic acid all have a minor effect at best. Like the docs keep saying diet and exercise are by far the most significant at controlling the disease (next to insulin).

Insulin is required to metabolize food energy. So eating less calories (total and in smaller meals) is less challenging for compromised insulin function.

Exercise helps burn off extra energy/glucose. When exercise is intensive enough it improves insulin sensitivity (walking and golf are not intense).

There are no shortcuts to managing this condition and ultimately he has to choose to make the necessary changes to maintain his health.

BLADE74

BLADE74

Awards
First question that needs to be asked is if your dad is Type I or Type II diabetic?