vegetable question regarding keto diets

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
im running my first keto diet, and so far its been great, consisting entirely of fish, chicken, eggs, brazil nuts/ almonds(or natty almond butter), broccoli, asparagus, salad(with an oil dressing i make myself with no carbs) and celery. my question is regarding certain vegetables like carrots, cauliflower, tomatoes and avocados. ive heard that these can throw you out of ketosis, and if so i plan on staying away from them, if not i would add them in for more variety. i would greatly appreciate any help on the subject, or if any of the other things i listed already could do that also, thanks.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't imagine that avocados would take you out, but i can't say for sure. Are you using ketostix?

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
no im not. the reason i mentioned avocado was because in a lot of diet articles ive read, that and bananas are always said to be something to count with your daily calories, so i wasn't sure. i looked in an atkins book of my dads though, and all of those vegetables with the exception of carrots were allowed, so i dont imagine it will throw you out of ketosis.

RisingAgainst

RisingAgainst

Banned
Awards
  • Established
no im not. the reason i mentioned avocado was because in a lot of diet articles ive read, that and bananas are always said to be something to count with your daily calories, so i wasn't sure. i looked in an atkins book of my dads though, and all of those vegetables with the exception of carrots were allowed, so i dont imagine it will throw you out of ketosis.
they're counted due to the high fat content................

Veggies CAN take you out of ketosis dependant on your ethnicity (no joke)... I have never had problems with lettuce/broccolli/green beans, but anything else, except celery I guess takes me out of ketosis.
watch out on the tomatoes btw... fruits are only good preworkout on your depletion day prior to the carb up.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
if i do have a tomato, its usualy about half of one in a salad, but thanks for the tips.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It might be worthwhile to go get some ketostix :) its about $15 for a conteiner of 60-100 I believe. you don't have to use them daily even once you are sure you are in ketosis, but its nice to periodically use them to check.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
it's true! some fruits & vegies will actually pull us out of ketosis, because they are so full of carbs &/or fat. Carrots being on of them.

My office is forever having special litttle morning or afternooon teas. when i decline to come because of dieting & staying away from junk, i'm commonly told (by fat people) 'just bring in your carrot sticks'. I'm left thinking 'yeah, as if....' In terms of tamatoe's, i'm not sure. They are fairly acidic, but i'm not sure if it effects the production of keytones...

Broccolli is good hey! 4g of carbohydrates, it takes 8g of carbohydrate energy to process & digest it!!!!!!!!

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i eat loads of brocolli, i buy those couple pound bags and go through it in 2 to 3 days.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
I go thru bags of frozen broad beans like they'll never be on sale again & their near their used by date! lol

4g of carbs per 100g, it takes about 8g of carbs for my body to process it...wonderful

beallio

beallio

Awards
it's true! some fruits & vegies will actually pull us out of ketosis, because they are so full of carbs &/or fat. Carrots being on of them.
Or fat? That's a new one on me...typically you want as much fat as possible (within the macros of your specific diet of course).

Fat won't kick you out of ketosis.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Im feeling the broccoli but dang it goes fast!!

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
i wish asparagus was cheaper though, its up to 4 bucks a pound. i remember not to long ago it was like 1.50

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
Or fat? That's a new one on me...typically you want as much fat as possible (within the macros of your specific diet of course).

Fat won't kick you out of ketosis.

yeah, ok. good call. EFA's are essential to every diet hey! Will transfats kick me out of ketosis? Or is it a matter of amount?

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
I have never had a problem with avocado's acording to the keto sticks. Nothing better then stuffing the divot that the pit came out of with some homemade crab salad (with bacon of course), mmmmmmmmm.

beallio

beallio

Awards
yeah, ok. good call. EFA's are essential to every diet hey! Will transfats kick me out of ketosis? Or is it a matter of amount?
Transfats won't necessarily kick you out, but your body won't burn it as it will other fats. Your body will tend to "deal with it later" as it were and store it. Stay away from transfat, in both Keto diets and in general.

Transfats = bad.

And I agree with Easy: too much protein will kick you out of ketosis. It's happened to me. Aim for 1g to 1.5 (individual dependent preference) and fill the rest with fat.

For me personally this 1200 kcal of protein, 1800-2400 kcal of fat, and approximately 100 kcal of net carbs due to trace amounts in some sausages and trying to meet my requisite daily fiber intake.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As well with the protein avoid whey isolate, its your fastest digesting and can cause insulin reactions... so meats, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, casein, even whey concentrate is better.

beallio

beallio

Awards
As well with the protein avoid whey isolate, its your fastest digesting and can cause insulin reactions... so meats, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, casein, even whey concentrate is better.
If you do ingest WPI (which I'm a big fan of btw) you can moderate the insulin spike by mixing fat with it. I mix coconut oil in with mine, and I know others use heavy cream.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you do ingest WPI (which I'm a big fan of btw) you can moderate the insulin spike by mixing fat with it. I mix coconut oil in with mine, and I know others use heavy cream.
true. Something worth mentioning too is that Ketosis is NOT magic. calories in - calories used = weight gained or loss. Whats funny is that people left alone on a ketogenic diet tend to eat less anyhow as fats are more satisfying in terms of the nervous system. :) Lyle McDonald's research + books on it are fascinating

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just wanted to add that alchohol deepends ketosis :D

beallio

beallio

Awards
I just wanted to add that alchohol deepends ketosis :D
Although most SKDs will say keep away from alcohol during induction (generally your lowest carb intake). During ketosis you should also become drunk quicker (forgot where I read this, though I believe it has to do glycogen depletion, not positive).

I find that I have to remind myself to eat a CKD - I always forget, something that never happened when I ate low fat....