Need Help and Ideas.

ahsbaseball08

ahsbaseball08

Awards
Im 6'1 200lbs. Senior in Highschool, and i cant seem to get away from the Fastfood resturants. It seems like every night im out late, i stop by jackin the box or taco bell. (favs)

Im not fat, so its not like im trying to loose weight, im currently trying to bulk up more, but stay lean and flexible at the same time for my senior year season of baseball.

I need ideas on what i can buy, and eat.... to stay healthy but at the same time eat good. ( large portions ).
Im currently downing 3 muscle juice shakes aday, (weight gainer.) But my meals have got to change. I need help and suggestions.

Lots of calories, and protein!!!!

Gimme a Grocery list!

- Kevin.:study:

SweetLou32937

Awards
u could try to stop at a grocery store instead and pick up some milk, tuna, protein bars, fruit, and other various health foods. or just simply pack a meal in advance and take it with u.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
drive thru chik-fil-a instead, get a salad with grilled chicken, add a second grilled patty to it (an extra $2)

walmart sells tilapia frozen in individual 4oz packets in a 4lb box for $10. each of those has around 22g of protein, and minimal fat/carbs. another trick for protein is to buy the cheapest greasiest high fat ground beef they sell. walmart has the 70% stuff in a 5lb tube for like 1.30 a pound. you break it into 4 1.25 lb packs and when you use one you pan fry it breaking it up into crumbles like for tacos. when its all cooked you pour it into a strainer and run super hot (even boiling) water over it to get rid of excess fat. You'll end up with leaner beef than if you had bought the 96% stuff.

buy a big bag of brown rice from an asian market for decent carbs, or bulk wild rice if you can find it cheap anywhere. Oats are ok, but wild rice is better.

ahsbaseball08

ahsbaseball08

Awards
What about some recipes i could possibly whip up, im no cook. But ill give it a shot.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Check out the recipe section. It's hard to really suggest recipes because the possibilities are endless.

avenue Red

Awards
i would say. go to foodnetwork.com

and search for chicken recipes. they have some awesome stuff. and 1 night just make like a bunch of chicken for the next 2 days and do that.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
What about some recipes i could possibly whip up, im no cook. But ill give it a shot.
I just made this one this week:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakfast1/r/joesspecial.htm

Granted, I upped the ingredients (2.5# ground beef and 14 eggs) and made 6 portions out of it. I do the same as Easy, cheap fatty meat in a tube and wash it. Made a large batch, portioned it up and takes 3 mins in the microwave.

A 'bulking food' I make is sort of a beef a roni thing,

3# cooked and washed beef
1/2 bag of Whole Wheat Pasta (Barilla Plus has lots of protein!)
Can of stewed tomatoes
2 Cans of diced tomatoes w/ chilies
low sodium 'pasta sauce'
frozen chopped onions
frozen spinach
frozen peeper mix (green, red, yellow)
seasonings

Cook your meat plain, rinse it well, return to pan, stir in seasonings and frozen onions.

Boil water and cook pasta BEFORE al dente.

drain pasta and return to large bowl, add tomatoes, pasta sauce, spinach, peppers and meat mix. Raise heat to just above simmer and cook for 10 mins or so. Portion it out in single serving tupperware. takes 3 mins in the microwave to reheat.

Buy chicken breasts and boil all of them at once (I use a few cups of chicken or veg broth for flavor) once cooked, portion them up so they can be fried quickly with seasonings (depending on what you feel like that day).

Chili is good and easy too. The leftovers always taste better.

Tuna gets expensive, but tuna salads are quick and can be flavored differently for variety. Celery, Red Onion, walnuts, cran berries/craisins, mustards, low fat mayo, italian dressings, whole wheat pastas, etc. lots can be done with it, but its sorta pricey.

Hardboiled eggs are quick and easy. I buy a crate of eggs for $5.19 and HB a dozen or so at a time.

Perfect eggs everytime:

Large pan, fill it with enough water to cover your eggs with an inch of water.

add your eggs and a TBSP of vinegar (in case one cracks)

Turn heat on high and watch it.

As soon as you get a decent boil, shut off the heat, but leave it on the burner. Set a timer for 12 minutes.

While you are waiting, get a large bowl, fill it with water and add enough ice cubes to cover the top of the bowl.

At 12 mins, pull one egg out with a slotted spoon and gently put it into your icewater bowl. Give it a minute or two to cool off, crack it, peel and make sure that its done, yolk especially. If it is, pull the rest of them and put in the icebath (this stops the yolks from going green). Remember how long it took for the next one and adjust if necessary. Mine take 15 mins at 5280 elevation.

They will keep for a week or so and are a handy snack and quick/easy/cheap to make.

It sounds like the late night munchies get you, so keep a bag of protein powder in your car with a shaker/nalgene bottle. If you ~need~ to hit a drive thru, get a bottle of water and make a shake. Protein can kill the hunger quick (until you get home and can eat decent food).

Other ideas:

Flavored tuna pouch
Beef Jerky
Unsalted nuts (cashews, peanuts, walnuts)

X

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I also suggest throwing some stuff in a crockpot in the am, then when its late the food will be done. So if your starving you won't be as likely to hit the fast food.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probably the easiest thing I use to stay on diet is Chicken and Rice. Grab a rice dish at the store...probably several, to prepare ahead of time. Try to get a brown rice dish, but even whole grain rice is better than Taco Bell.

Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes and microwave while you are cooking the rice dish. When you get to the simmer portion of the rice dish, add the chicken...it will soak up some flavor.

Portion this dish into several servings into plastic containers and it will be ready to eat in seconds.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Probably the easiest thing I use to stay on diet is Chicken and Rice. Grab a rice dish at the store...probably several, to prepare ahead of time. Try to get a brown rice dish, but even whole grain rice is better than Taco Bell.

Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes and microwave while you are cooking the rice dish. When you get to the simmer portion of the rice dish, add the chicken...it will soak up some flavor.

Portion this dish into several servings into plastic containers and it will be ready to eat in seconds.
another variation on this is to get some of the pre-pack brown rice microwavables like this stuff

microwave it 30 seconds less than you are supposed to, get some of the eggbeaters or liquid egg whites, and add 4 eggs worth stirred into the rice, then cook in 30 second increments stirring inbetween each till the eggs harden up.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
another variation on this is to get some of the pre-pack brown rice microwavables like this stuff

microwave it 30 seconds less than you are supposed to, get some of the eggbeaters or liquid egg whites, and add 4 eggs worth stirred into the rice, then cook in 30 second increments stirring inbetween each till the eggs harden up.
One word: Phytoestrogens.

I bought a cheap (~$20) Rice Cooker from Amazon. It makes 6 cups of perfect brown rice. I use 1/2 broth / 1/2 water to give it some flavor.

X