Quit smoking

shortblock

Awards
So I finally decided to quit smoking after about 15 years. I'm currently using the gum and havent really had any nicotine cravings as long as I use it properly. My question is that I'm constantly hungry and snacking on something. Any ideas how to stop the cravings?

12STEP

Awards
  • Established
chew gum, sunflowerseeds (about 200 calories but it takes me all day to finish one tube) you are probably not hungry you are just use to having something in your mouth but if these two dont work i would recomend you search for a good appetite suppressant oh yeah breath mints too not alot of calls and your breath will smell nice

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
so the gum is really working huh? Thats cool, id like to quit sometime as well. How many pieces do you eat in a day?

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I'll be starting Chantix as soon as it arrives. I'll keep you all posted.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll be starting Chantix as soon as it arrives. I'll keep you all posted.
thats that new prescription drug right? I watched a dateline or something on it, was pretty disturbing as far as sides go. Some crazy behavior going on, some sleepwalking not yourself kinda stuff....not sure how true it is. I believe they said depression is a big one with it too.

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
my wife reps chantix, great drug and dont listen to the hype on tv. you need to take into consideration that if 1 in 10000 people **** themselves they list this.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ya.. my wife quit with CHantix.. She actually only needed it through the first set of pills, and she was good. Been about 5months now.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ya.. my wife quit with CHantix.. She actually only needed it through the first set of pills, and she was good. Been about 5months now.
wow. thats good news. i may have to look into it. im not sure i can go have some drinks without a smoke tho. is the stuff expensive?

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
I struggled with the bar and smoking. Once you are on it you should notice a decrease in desire to smoke and at times the cig taste like sh!t.

Dont start it until you really are ready to try and stop. I works like no other drug and I highly recommend it.

If you have insurance they will cover it for 6 months. If not walmart was the cheapest at about $110.00. Which is about the cost of 20-25 packs of smokes here @ $4.50-$5.00/pack

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
wow. thats good news. i may have to look into it. im not sure i can go have some drinks without a smoke tho. is the stuff expensive?
I am not sure.. It wasn't since we have good health INS.

I doubt you would even need to use it that long.. At the point where you have not been smoking for a month+ you should be good

As far as sides. My wife did report some weird ass dreams.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info on the sides. I'll def keep a close check on that. I'm just so desperate and while I have a great amount of discipline in nearly every other aspect of my life, quitting cigs (or the inability to do so) has shown me that I'm not nearly as hard as I thought I was. Best of luck Shorty and Piston. Oh and BTW, I bit the bullet and ordered it online for like $167. This is one of the few things in my life where cost is NOT a consideration.

shortblock

Awards
The quitting is actually going pretty good, but its not my first time trying. Yeah I think it is just having something in my mouth but I dont want to get totally hooked on the gum either. I chew about one piece every hour. Which is about what I'm supposed to do. Its definetly cheaper then smoking in nyc. Chantix havent heard of that one. I did try Zyban a couple years ago. Didnt help at all. Hopefully this new one is better.

bluecollar

bluecollar

Awards
flavored toothpicks helped me out ....with nicotine lozenges
now i cant kick the lozenges ive been on them a year its much better then smoking im not sure i will ever want to give up nicotine completely

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Chantix flat out worked for me. I ~was~ just coming up to my one year anniversary in December. I fell off the wagon 2 weeks ago due to some personal ****. I had no sides whatsoever, I didn't even need to get my third script filled. Best 'quitting' experience ever.

I'd tried the gum, patch, cold turkey, etc. Always still had that 'edgy feeling'.

The only way I could explain Chantix is it was like you were a little kid learning to ride a bike with your dad holding on to the seat. Then you turned around and realized he wasn't holding it anymore.

You just realize you don't smoke anymore...

I hope that I don't keep this crap up, just need some stress relief for a few weeks. Will be stopping again shortly. My GF is a nurse and will NOT tolerate smoking, so I have incentive.

Good luck everyone!

X

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
The quitting is actually going pretty good, but its not my first time trying. Yeah I think it is just having something in my mouth but I dont want to get totally hooked on the gum either. I chew about one piece every hour. Which is about what I'm supposed to do. Its definetly cheaper then smoking in nyc. Chantix havent heard of that one. I did try Zyban a couple years ago. Didnt help at all. Hopefully this new one is better.
Zyban zombies...

Chantix fills in the receptors in your brain that nicotine binds to. Completely different treatment vs. Wellbutrin.

X

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i guess you have a good point on the cost....it shouldnt be an issue.

shortblock

Awards
zyban zombies, thats an interesting way of putting it. lol

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
so the gum is really working huh? Thats cool, id like to quit sometime as well. How many pieces do you eat in a day?
Yeah, the gum worked for me too. But then I started chewing snuff because the gum can get kinda pricey. So now I chew like a fiend. Anything is better than smoking though, the toxins in cigs can actually inhibit muscle hypertrophy and lag recovery time to some extent.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Zyban zombies...

Chantix fills in the receptors in your brain that nicotine binds to. Completely different treatment vs. Wellbutrin.

X
He's right, chantix blocks the action of nicotine at the receptor site. Wellbutrin works by inhibiting norepinephrine and dopamine production, which can lead to some strange side affects.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Chantix flat out worked for me. I ~was~ just coming up to my one year anniversary in December. I fell off the wagon 2 weeks ago due to some personal ****. I had no sides whatsoever, I didn't even need to get my third script filled. Best 'quitting' experience ever.

I'd tried the gum, patch, cold turkey, etc. Always still had that 'edgy feeling'.

The only way I could explain Chantix is it was like you were a little kid learning to ride a bike with your dad holding on to the seat. Then you turned around and realized he wasn't holding it anymore.

You just realize you don't smoke anymore...

I hope that I don't keep this crap up, just need some stress relief for a few weeks. Will be stopping again shortly. My GF is a nurse and will NOT tolerate smoking, so I have incentive.

Good luck everyone!

X
Once you buy that pack your a goner. At least thats been my experience.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Once you buy that pack your a goner. At least thats been my experience.
Yeah, I was doing good and only bumming an occasional one from a co-worker for a week or so. I bought my first pack and I'm damn near the level I was when I stopped. :frustrate

Never quit quitting I guess...

X

shortblock

Awards
Xodus I agree you never quit quitting I envy the people that can just have one when they go out or are stressed but then they stop for weeks maybe months. But dont have to have them. For me the one cig leads right to the pack.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
It's just as bad (if not worse) an addiction as any other. From what I understand it also has the highest recidivism rate. But don't give up the good fight. You can and WILL quit!!!

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
Hey all

My wife is a chantix rep. She can explain it all to you. I started smoking after my big D from 1st wife. I still struggle with it and I think its because I havent made myself stop. Chantix is great. Good def. with like learning to ride a bike then realise your dad isnt really needed.

Zyban was a flop, it just didnt work. Chantix is a whole new ballgame. My wife can xplain it better but it basically tells your brain/dopamine that it already filled the craving for nicotine.

Stay strong and talk to your Dr. about it. Most insurances should cover it becasue of the high costs of medical issues from smoking. If not I found Walmart to be the cheapest.

Cedarwood

Awards
I've smoked for 12 years, then one day decided it was time to quit. The first 3 weeks are hell, especially if you have a drink or are socializing or just finished a big meal.. you crave the smoke.. but trust me, I've been wo smokes now for about a year and a half and it's made all the difference. About 3 months into quitting I no longer had urges for a cigarrette. You just have to fight the urge, stay active, chew gum, keep toothpicks on you etc.. That's how I did it. Don't look at it as permanent, take it one day at a time, and get to that 3 month mark.. (though it gets easier after 3 weeks, at least for me).

You'll find that you sleep better, have more energy during the day, food tastes better, and you don't get that yuk mouth in the morning.. I'm telling you, greatest decision I ever made in my life was to quit.. also put on some solid pounds (about 10 in a year). More O2 gets to your muscles, so I'm guessing that helped them grow. Good luck bro

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I recently had a close friend and long time smoker use chantix. It worked with only 1 months supply of it. However although she will not admit it when she was using it I definitely noticed some anxiety she was having.

I have also heard that some of the sides are increased or more common with those who drink while using the drug.

Supposedly some dude went nuts one day using this stuf...cops shot him dead. Not sure that story is true.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
chantix?

Just buy some DRIVE they definitely put nicotine in those things...

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude with the wife Chantix rep.....have her come on her and open a thread or something.

Cedarwood, thanks for that post, good sh1t. I think ill make a REAL commitment this new year...problem is i get real aggitated and irratated when i go about two days without a smoke, well lately its been more like if i go one day without one the next day ill be really on edge. Ill try to do it clean then if it gets bad ill ask about Chantix.

I recently had a close friend and long time smoker use chantix. It worked with only 1 months supply of it. However although she will not admit it when she was using it I definitely noticed some anxiety she was having.

I have also heard that some of the sides are increased or more common with those who drink while using the drug.

Supposedly some dude went nuts one day using this stuf...cops shot him dead. Not sure that story is true.
yeah that story was true. well his wife said he never behaved like that and one night he was acting nuts for no apparent reason. she blames the chantix. could be true but very very rare.

thewrx

Awards
I believe the only way to quit is to actually have the desire to quit. These drugs and supps will only help you quit. They will not do it for you.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i think my biggest problem is i cant picture myself smoke free...its as if it is a part of my being a part of my personality. So quiting is like cutting off my own arm in a sense, i guess i really have to see myself NEVER picking up a cigarette again....that is tough but im workin on the mental picture.

de1060

de1060

Awards
the bad news about quitting smoking

i quit smoking seven years ago. it sucked to quit. it can only be described as: my first experience with "roid rage." I would be talking, completely normal in my own opinion, but my girlfriend would have to stop me by saying in a very calm voice "stop yelling at me."

it's true, the gum, and patch, and all that are only tools to help you get where you really want to be. just like everything at NP, mega dosing BCAA's aren't gonna do it without the hard work. but hey now, if you're gonna dedicate yourself to anything or anyone, it won't be easy.

I couldn't imagine myself as a nonsmoker either (i was a pack a day, lucky strikes-unfiltered) for around six years, and now, all these years later, i still miss it. i still miss smoking. i don't miss the cold i would get that lasted for two months each year. i don't miss the cost, nor the stench that permiated my every move. but i can tell how much better off i've been, health wise, since i quit. it would be easier if you lost five percent of your body fat and increased your three-rep-max by sixty percent by quiting but it's just one of those things that you can only appreciate year after year.

you're gonna f*** up a few times along the way. the important thing, in my experience, is to continue to choose to not smoke more times than not until you've made the choice not to smoke a part of your routine.

you'll wake up one day and won't be able to picture yourself as a smoker...seriously.

continue rocking:head:

Cedarwood

Awards
Thanks bro.. I tried to quit several times over the decade and never could.. each time I tried to quit cold turkey, it seemed something happened to make my life more stressful.. something would happen at work, or some arsehole would cut me off on the way home, or the gf would decide the day I start to be smoke free would be the day she'd start her PMS (bad timing.. haha)..

I found that there would always be stress no matter when I chose to quit, that I had to just go for it and take it one day at a time, because that's the best any of us can do right? It makes it easier. Instead of saying, I'm quitting for good, I told myself in the morning, "I'm not going to wake up and have a smoke. I won't smoke until after lunch (noon)" I'd make it to noon, then say, "shoot bro, make it until you're off from work!" I'd go until 5pm and then say, "Okay you made it this far, no point smoking when you're on your way to the gym.. smoke one after." I'd hit the gym (and yes, for years I'd actually work out then have a smoke within 5 minutes of walking out of the gym!!

Then I'd hit the weights.. when I was done, I'd say to myself, "Just have a smoke before bed, but don't smoke now.. you're muscles need the O2. Just wait an hour."

I kept telling myself whatever I had to tell myself to make mini goals throughout the day until I got through the day. There were times where I slipped and had a smoke, but instead of looking at it like, "Shoot man, I have to start all over again, so might as well smoke the rest of this day away since I messed up." I'd look at it like, "I made it all the way to noon without a smoke. So I had one now, but now I'm going to get all the way through my workout and not have one until bed time. Maybe then I can fight off the urge."

Seriously, one day at a time.. sometimes, esp in the beginning, you gotta take it one part of the day at a time. But trust me, after 3 weeks, it's not nearly that hard anymore.. you can make it for 2-3 days without a sweat, maybe craving one when you're socializing or something, but even then you can fight the urge.. and after 3 months.. the urge is nil.

Dude with the wife Chantix rep.....have her come on her and open a thread or something.

Cedarwood, thanks for that post, good sh1t. I think ill make a REAL commitment this new year...problem is i get real aggitated and irratated when i go about two days without a smoke, well lately its been more like if i go one day without one the next day ill be really on edge. Ill try to do it clean then if it gets bad ill ask about Chantix.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Ya.. my wife quit with CHantix.. She actually only needed it through the first set of pills, and she was good. Been about months now.
i started smoking @ age 13 regularly and just quit this year @ age 30..........chantix is the sh1t, it worked just like my doc said it would. the desire to quit was there and with the aid of chantix i haven't had a smoke since May.....ohhh i almost forgot to mention.....my insurance picked up most of the cost....

shortblock

Awards
So still quit and still chewing my gum, less and less though. The flavored toothpicks do seem to help. I just have to stay busy and cant really go out too much which sort of sucks but its only temporary. I found out one of the guys at work started Chantix and he has been smoking for over 20 years. He just quit, still has a carton of cigarettes in the house. That part doesnt make much sense to me but he figures that if he can do it with them in the house once they are gone it will be even easier.:think:

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So still quit and still chewing my gum, less and less though. The flavored toothpicks do seem to help. I just have to stay busy and cant really go out too much which sort of sucks but its only temporary. I found out one of the guys at work started Chantix and he has been smoking for over 20 years. He just quit, still has a carton of cigarettes in the house. That part doesnt make much sense to me but he figures that if he can do it with them in the house once they are gone it will be even easier.:think:
Congrats , stay strong!!!!!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I had an unopened pack in my truck for months before I finally threw them out.

Yeah, you're right, it doesn't make sense. Nothing says 'commited to quitting' like having an emergency pack (or carton) nearby...

:think:

X

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont think its an emergency pack sort of thing. More like a staring at the enemy straight in the face kind of thing. Probably for mental toughness...sounds like something i would do.

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
Congrats to you all. I am starting chantix 11/26. I am leaving for Jamaica tomorrow 11/15 and figured with probably drinking everyday and socializing it would be to hard to try and quit then.

On Monday 11/26 I am having surgery so figured that would be a great time to stop. As I mentioned before my wife reps for pfizer and chantix and it is a incredible and totaly different beast in the fight to stop.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions I can pass on to my wife that might help you. I have tried to stop before and just failed (no excusses). I joke and say it would be easier to quit sex than stop smiking but I'm a nympho so that isnt gonna happen.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Congrats to you all. I am starting chantix 11/26. I am leaving for Jamaica tomorrow 11/15 and figured with probably drinking everyday and socializing it would be to hard to try and quit then.

On Monday 11/26 I am having surgery so figured that would be a great time to stop. As I mentioned before my wife reps for pfizer and chantix and it is a incredible and totaly different beast in the fight to stop.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions I can pass on to my wife that might help you. I have tried to stop before and just failed (no excusses). I joke and say it would be easier to quit sex than stop smiking but I'm a nympho so that isnt gonna happen.
lol. would anyone benefiet from say a three day trial of chantix or does it take a while for it to work? If its benefiecial ask your wife to send me a free trial lol.. how many pills do you take a day for chantix?

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
3 days, lol. Actually chantix is one of the few drugs that dont have samples. Reason for this is its not a lifelong drug.

Its a med used for 3 to 6 months. I suggest 6 months. Your Dr. will get you a starter pack which you start a 1 pill/day then go up to 2 pills/day. Some people I know are able to quit smoking after 1 month but I would do it at least for 3 but get a script for 6.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established

You need to start it 30 days before your set 'quit' date. You continue smoking on the drug in the beginning. You will notice a gradual decrease in the 'need' to smoke about the 3rd week.

I would start it BEFORE you take off for Jamaica.

BTW, have fun!

X

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
get a script for 6 then if i quit in one keep another month supply for backup and "slang" the other 4! yeeeeyeaah!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
3 days, lol. Actually chantix is one of the few drugs that dont have samples. Reason for this is its not a lifelong drug.

Its a med used for 3 to 6 months. I suggest 6 months. Your Dr. will get you a starter pack which you start a 1 pill/day then go up to 2 pills/day. Some people I know are able to quit smoking after 1 month but I would do it at least for 3 but get a script for 6.
3 days would be worthless.

They say the success rate for 3 months of use is ~60%, and jumps to nearly 90% (IIRC) if used for 12 months.

X