Magical fruit?? - AnabolicMinds.com

Magical fruit??

1. Board Supporter

Magical fruit??

Anyone here ever tried Tunguska Blast or Noni???

I have tried them both, after my friends tried to sell them to me and go on and on about their miraculous healing powers.

Tunguska : I slept a little better

Noni : completely got rid of any heartburn in about 10 minutes, and some stomach aches.

Thats what I got out of using this stuff. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and seen any benefit.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  256 lbs.

Noni is great - actaully it helps me with sleep besides the benefit you mentioned.
  3. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by PHWSSJ View Post
    Anyone here ever tried Tunguska Blast or Noni???

I have tried them both, after my friends tried to sell them to me and go on and on about their miraculous healing powers.

Tunguska : I slept a little better

Noni : completely got rid of any heartburn in about 10 minutes, and some stomach aches.

Thats what I got out of using this stuff. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and seen any benefit.

PHW, Although I've never tried either and know nothing about tunguska... I'll tell you everything I know about Noni in hopes it will help you make an informed decision. Hope this helps...

Noni belongs to a new class of fruits known as "superfruits" regarded as such because of their proposed extroardinary health benefits over their regular fruit counterparts.

Noni is a polynesian fruit

It contains oligo and polysaccharides as well as damnacanthal which have prebiotic effects in the gut.

Dietary fiber from Noni is fermented to SCFA which reduces cholesterol and possibly colon cancers

Other polysaccharide components have immune stimulating effects.

The dietary fiber component can reduce the absorption of glucose and cholesterol which are helpful anti-diabetic effects.

Its rich in a powerful anti-microbial compound called scopoletin

It contains beta-sitosterol which is a phytosterol that reduces cholesterol absorption.

Its also very rich in Linoleic Acid which serves as an anti-inflammatory compound and may serve to reduce pain associated with inflammation.

NOW the BAD

There is the potential for liver injury and hepatotoxicity due to the alkaloids and anthroquinones it posses.

Noni has been used for centuries in the Polynesian Islands and obviously may have many health benefits but consumption should be moderated given the research indicating liver complications.

FYI

This was not information jumbled from a good search, although I'm sure one could find some good information from performing one on Noni if they were particularly careful to weed out the information supplied by those who benefit from Noni sales.

I am a senior in the nutrition and foods department at my university and all information presented in this post has been taken directly from lecture materials in my Function Foods and Nutraceuticals class. Know that these are not my opinions on the fruit, rather information gathered from research and practical use.
    •   

4. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Birdsizzle View Post
    PHW, Although I've never tried either and know nothing about tunguska... I'll tell you everything I know about Noni in hopes it will help you make an informed decision. Hope this helps...

Noni belongs to a new class of fruits known as "superfruits" regarded as such because of their proposed extroardinary health benefits over their regular fruit counterparts.

Noni is a polynesian fruit

It contains oligo and polysaccharides as well as damnacanthal which have prebiotic effects in the gut.

Dietary fiber from Noni is fermented to SCFA which reduces cholesterol and possibly colon cancers

Other polysaccharide components have immune stimulating effects.

The dietary fiber component can reduce the absorption of glucose and cholesterol which are helpful anti-diabetic effects.

Its rich in a powerful anti-microbial compound called scopoletin

It contains beta-sitosterol which is a phytosterol that reduces cholesterol absorption.

Its also very rich in Linoleic Acid which serves as an anti-inflammatory compound and may serve to reduce pain associated with inflammation.

NOW the BAD

There is the potential for liver injury and hepatotoxicity due to the alkaloids and anthroquinones it posses.

Noni has been used for centuries in the Polynesian Islands and obviously may have many health benefits but consumption should be moderated given the research indicating liver complications.

FYI

This was not information jumbled from a good search, although I'm sure one could find some good information from performing one on Noni if they were particularly careful to weed out the information supplied by those who benefit from Noni sales.

I am a senior in the nutrition and foods department at my university and all information presented in this post has been taken directly from lecture materials in my Function Foods and Nutraceuticals class. Know that these are not my opinions on the fruit, rather information gathered from research and practical use.

thank you sir!

A while back I baught a case of noni from my friend. I drank a bottle a week and i realy didnt notice any difference except it eliminating heartburn.

do you know anything about "glyconutrients?" another friend of mine sold me some mannatech ambrotose. The only thing I can say about it so far is I fell like I have more energy but im not sure if thats placebo or not.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Acai and Goji are 2 to look into as well.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Professional Member

Pomegranate is a wonderful fruit in my opinion.
  7. CDB

I thought this was a Dumbledore thread at first.

I've tried the noni with the same results: got rid of some heart burn pretty good. As good as tums I'd say. But then I look at it as you shouldn't be eating things regularly that cause a gush of acid to rush up your throat. Still, useful in its own way.
  8. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Acai and Goji are 2 to look into as well.
    I actually just had acai a few days ago. I seen it at the grocery store in drink form. It had a very uniqe flavor.
  9. Professional Member

Magical fruit? Beans?
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.

Hmm never heard of any of these. What is the taste comparable to?
  11. New Member

Tried Noni juice - tasted like it had been filtered through old sweaty gym socks - 1 glass was enough for me. All fruits are good for you to varying degrees - just eat a wide variety of common fruits - it'll be much easier on the pocketbook too. One of the best common fruits for you is the banana.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.

So these are both juices, not a fruit?
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

They can be both. I've tried dried Goji berries and they were great tasting.

There's lots of arguments about the supposed astronomically high ORAC value of these berries. Some say it's wonderful..and generally they are trying to sell it to you. Others claim that regardless of the high ORAC value, most of these antioxidants have extremely short half lives and that your body can only utilize so much antioxidant at one time. Seems logical to me.

Either way, I think rotating in the superfruits into your diet is good but for me, it's dependent upon price which has yet to become reasonable. IMO, pomegranite, green tea, and grape seed extracts are where it's at in terms of bang for the buck. Add vitamin D, fish oil and folic acid to that as well.
  14. Board Supporter

here is some interesting information about Tunguska:

Nearly a century ago, something exploded in the skies over Siberia with a force *****ing an atomic explosion. It left in its wake a scarred landscape littered with tens of thousands of felled trees, and a mystery that has plagued scientists for decades, defying explanation.

Now an Italian group of researchers has reviewed various scientific literature and seismic recordings on the event, studied the site since 1999 and surveyed some 60,000 fallen trees, and translated additional eyewitness accounts from Russian.

The researchers say the event was likely caused by a low-density asteroid that exploded in the atmosphere, sending out a firestorm that burned trees and a shock wave that did more damage, according to a story on the BBC's web site. The explosion was equal to more than 10 million tons of TNT, the researchers say.

Tests on thousands of plants throughout the Tunguska River Valley showed accelerated growth and dramatically enhanced nutritional values. Soil studies have only partly explained this phenomenon, indicating that intense heat appears to have concentrated soil nutrients to a greater richness than even volcanic soil.
  15. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by PHWSSJ View Post
    here is some interesting information about Tunguska:

Nearly a century ago, something exploded in the skies over Siberia with a force *****ing an atomic explosion. It left in its wake a scarred landscape littered with tens of thousands of felled trees, and a mystery that has plagued scientists for decades, defying explanation.

Now an Italian group of researchers has reviewed various scientific literature and seismic recordings on the event, studied the site since 1999 and surveyed some 60,000 fallen trees, and translated additional eyewitness accounts from Russian.

The researchers say the event was likely caused by a low-density asteroid that exploded in the atmosphere, sending out a firestorm that burned trees and a shock wave that did more damage, according to a story on the BBC's web site. The explosion was equal to more than 10 million tons of TNT, the researchers say.

Tests on thousands of plants throughout the Tunguska River Valley showed accelerated growth and dramatically enhanced nutritional values. Soil studies have only partly explained this phenomenon, indicating that intense heat appears to have concentrated soil nutrients to a greater richness than even volcanic soil.
    Old news. Or at least I think it is.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  256 lbs.

i think it was supposed to be interesting - not necessarily new.
  17. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
    i think it was supposed to be interesting - not necessarily new.
    yeah thats what i was aiming for. Thanks
  18. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    They can be both. I've tried dried Goji berries and they were great tasting.

There's lots of arguments about the supposed astronomically high ORAC value of these berries. Some say it's wonderful..and generally they are trying to sell it to you. Others claim that regardless of the high ORAC value, most of these antioxidants have extremely short half lives and that your body can only utilize so much antioxidant at one time. Seems logical to me.

Either way, I think rotating in the superfruits into your diet is good but for me, it's dependent upon price which has yet to become reasonable. IMO, pomegranite, green tea, and grape seed extracts are where it's at in terms of bang for the buck. Add vitamin D, fish oil and folic acid to that as well.
    i agree 100%

Similar Forum Threads

1. Fruit & Veg - How do you eat yours?
    By 200wannabe in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 05:13 PM
  2. Training Voodoo Magic
    By iron addict in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 01:30 PM
  3. wash fruit before eating?
    By comrade in forum General Chat