Whacky diet idea

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
This is a completely inane idea I thought of today, but I thought I'd share it here on the boards for some potentially interesting discussion.

Generally speaking, the accepted norm in the bodybuilding industry is to eat roughly every 2-3 hours to maintain nitrogen balance. We set a target caloric range for each day and divide that range up among the 3 macronutrients.

instead of eating decent sized meals every few hours, why not take your macronutrient requirements for the day and split them evenly among every hour that you're awake?

So, say the average 200 lb bodybuilder stays awake for about 15 hours per day. Each day he aims to take in 250 grams of protein, about 200 grams of carbs and 70-80 grams of fat. Every hour he would consume a very small serving of protein, carbs and fats (i.e. 15 g protein, 13 g carbs, 5 g fat). The goal here being to provide the body constant fuel throughout the day, so there is never a moment of hunger or muscle catabolism. (Breakfast and workout meals might contain more macros, however.)

I know this sounds crazy and I'm sure most people might even think it's stupid. Eating every hour would be a hassle, but it does sound like an interesting idea I think.

Any thoughts? Constructive criticism?

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I believe Layne Norton was researching meal frequency/sizes/timing, and he was theorising that it would be a good idea to at some times, eat less frequently and prevent the body from being to becoming resistant to protein synthesis due to constantly elevated amino acid levels.. and possibly adding in some bcaas in between

nelix

Awards
  • Established
A lot of diets work well for different people, some people like eating many meals, others get by with intermittent fasting and other cyclic diets.

I am doing a lot of meals, but I think I will try IM for my cut.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its interesting, but sounds like a lot of work unless you do it almost all as shakes. otherwise eating every hour and eating balanced would be difficult. might be easier to make a CKD work on it tho

DRSPEDO

DRSPEDO

Awards
If you are really into this, you might want to look into a medical biochemistry book. There are different states that you are in, fed and fasted (there are more, but for our purposes...)

If you are constantly introducing carbs into your body, you aren't 'spiking' your insulin, but it is constantly being released. In theory, a constant storage state.

After a workout, your post exercise oxygen requirements (as well as dietary) increase greatly... we could discuss that all day, but keep that in mind.

The only glucagon challenge that you meet is at night when your brain gradually transitions from using glucose, to using fatty acids from fat and aa from muscle (to make glucose in liver for brain).

I just went all over the place with biochem, but hopefully it can help facilitate some discussion.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
If you are really into this, you might want to look into a medical biochemistry book. There are different states that you are in, fed and fasted (there are more, but for our purposes...)

If you are constantly introducing carbs into your body, you aren't 'spiking' your insulin, but it is constantly being released. In theory, a constant storage state.

After a workout, your post exercise oxygen requirements (as well as dietary) increase greatly... we could discuss that all day, but keep that in mind.

The only glucagon challenge that you meet is at night when your brain gradually transitions from using glucose, to using fatty acids from fat and aa from muscle (to make glucose in liver for brain).

I just went all over the place with biochem, but hopefully it can help facilitate some discussion.
i'm not really that interested in trying it personally, but I was only curious as to whether or not it was a credible diet theory. I like Easy's thought of using this type of approach with a CKD plan. On low carb days, rather than having all your daily carbs (which will only be about 30 grams or so) in one meal, it might be better to split them up over the course of a few smaller meals. Just another approach, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make in the grand scheme of things.