Fats for bfast...

bj22

Awards
How much fat should I be consuming with my oats in the morning? I have heard a lot of contradicting opinions on this and was hoping to hear some opinions from knowledgeable bbers. For instance, I understand morning is a great time to eat carbs because of the insulin response. So would adding fats shunt this response or should I add fat to keep a more steady flow?

Thanks in advance.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I take in oats and whey in the morning. whey shake first, then eat oats. I have a few fish oil caps, some sesamin and CLA for fat. I noticed when I mixed natty pb with the oats, I got bloated, and it delayed me from being hungry for my next scheduled meal. Led to a little fat retention and water weight.

REASON: in the morning, we are fasted form sleeping....blood glucose is low. Getting fast acting protein in you plus some whole complex carbs helps reverse this potentially catabolic situation. Fat just slows down the process. I would imagine insulin sensitivity is higher in the morning, so the body can quickly replenish glucose and glycogen. I know that Insulin + fat = body fat. I've opted against significant fat for brkfast, and have been pleased since.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I know what info you guys are working with but I haven't seen any hard evidence that it is accurate.

Firstly blood glucose is not low in the morning; it will be at its normal baseline. I question how severely glucose stores (glycogen) are depleted in the morning. The body is better able to use fat at lower activity intensities (what can be lower than sleeping?) and if carbs are consume prior to sleeping, stores may be higher than expected.

Secondly insulin sensitivity may or may not be altered. From my experience the two big promoters of insulin sensitivity are negative energy balance and increased activity. Again, remember that you have been sleeping so activity is way low and if there were some good meals before bed, there may not be much of a negative energy balance.

So IMO ask not how much fat to eat but instead work within a calorie allotment. If you're going for 500 kcals and you want to add 100 kcals of peanut butter then take out 100 kcals between carbs and protein. Maybe start with 1:1:1 ratio (ie 33.3% each) and modify to your tastes.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, also there has been that theory that its better to have separate carb+protein meals vs fat+protein meals in terms of trying to get cut. I believed in that for a while :) but i'm becoming less confident. There isn't much scientific evidence to show that it makes a difference

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, also there has been that theory that its better to have separate carb+protein meals vs fat+protein meals in terms of trying to get cut. I believed in that for a while :) but i'm becoming less confident. There isn't much scientific evidence to show that it makes a difference
I know that when I eat too many fats along with carbs, I get fat. Protein helps, but my large fat meals are with protein alone. Although I dont really have high fat meals.

IainDaniel

Awards
Why would you want an insulin response first thing in the am?

Personally I prefer a balanced meal first thing in the am, with Fats, Carbs, and Proteins.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I know that when I eat too many fats along with carbs, I get fat. Protein helps, but my large fat meals are with protein alone. Although I dont really have high fat meals.
The thing is that along with fats come calories. So is it the fat or the calories that is culprit? A meal consisting of 1 tsp of dextose + 1 tsp of olive oil is a high fat/high carb/zero protein meal. According to this theory (Berardi's?) this meal would be fattening. However it only contains about 60 calories - hardly enough to budge the scale...

IMO all these discussions have to be made in context of overall energy balance. We know that the body does not waste food energy (it will use it immediately or store it but it will not throw it away) and we know that fundamental laws of physics state that energy must be conserved (this is muy importante). Thus dietary fat (or any macro) will not make you fat if you are not hypercaloric.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Why would you want an insulin response first thing in the am?
Why not? Insulin is an essential hormone for energy uptake. If your body doesn't respond to food intake with insulin you would be diabetic...

Personally I prefer a balanced meal first thing in the am, with Fats, Carbs, and Proteins.
Good call IMO.

This industry seems to be one that reacts in extremes: a little protein is good for you so a lot must be better, a lot of fat is bad for you so none is better. A little calories is good (prevents death by starvation) so a lot must be better but we now know that overeating leads to disease and also death. How about a balanced approach...

I see a lot of posts here where peeps are cycling carbs on a daily or weekly basis who complain how the carb intakes mess them up.Try getting off the roller coaster and eating balanced meals (at appropriate calories of course) throughout the day - your body just might like the consistency.

IainDaniel

Awards
Why not? Insulin is an essential hormone for energy uptake. If your body doesn't respond to food intake with insulin you would be diabetic...

Good call IMO.

This industry seems to be one that reacts in extremes: a little protein is good for you so a lot must be better, a lot of fat is bad for you so none is better. A little calories is good (prevents death by starvation) so a lot must be better but we now know that overeating leads to disease and also death. How about a balanced approach...

I see a lot of posts here where peeps are cycling carbs on a daily or weekly basis who complain how the carb intakes mess them up.Try getting off the roller coaster and eating balanced meals (at appropriate calories of course) throughout the day - your body just might like the consistency.
An Insulin response will occur with any meal you eat. I just don't understand his reasoning, for wanting an insulin response first thing in the AM.

bj22

Awards
I don't necessarily want an insulin response. I don't know what lead me to post that. I was unsure if it is a good idea to have a faster absorption of carbs and protein after not eating for a good 10 hours by limiting fats. I was thinking along a similar line to why we don't add fats to our PWO.

Al Shades

Al Shades

Awards
I noticed when I mixed natty pb with the oats, I got bloated, and it delayed me from being hungry for my next scheduled meal. Led to a little fat retention and water weight.
Lol...you mean oats don't make you bloated in the first place?

I used to have carbs for breakfast but I switched to fats and proteins only.
Having carbs first thing in the day is just asking to crash later on. I don't want to become a carb addict or a stim junkie, so I eat real food that doesn't spike blood sugar levels. My breakfast is always 4 chicken sausages with scrambled eggs or bacon.

IainDaniel

Awards
Lol...you mean oats don't make you bloated in the first place?

I used to have carbs for breakfast but I switched to fats and proteins only.
Having carbs first thing in the day is just asking to crash later on. I don't want to become a carb addict or a stim junkie, so I eat real food that doesn't spike blood sugar levels. My breakfast is always 4 chicken sausages with scrambled eggs or bacon.
Sounds like you have some unwarranted fears of Carbohydrates.

As long as it is a balanced meal and not loaded with sugars you should have no concerns of extreme spikes or declines in your Blood Sugars. Personally I would take oats as a part of my breakfast over Chicken Sausages, or Bacon.