Tuna - In water or vegetable oil?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Wondering what you choose, for health purposes. Are the extra fats in the vegetable oil "healthy"? I could care less about the taste difference between water and vegetable...

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
look at the nutrition facts... the fats in tuna are mostly poly and monounsaturated, which are considered healthy fats. i prefer the tuna packaged in oil b/c that yields the healthy fats I need from tuna, whereas tuna in water comes with a lot less fat.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
look at the nutrition facts... the fats in tuna are mostly poly and monounsaturated, which are considered healthy fats. i prefer the tuna packaged in oil b/c that yields the healthy fats I need from tuna, whereas tuna in water comes with a lot less fat.
Right, but I'm a bit unclear as to how truely healthy those fats are. I've been maintaining a strict diet while I can, and I'm consistantly eating 1 can of tuna a day. In vegetable oil, I believe its around 12g more fat than tuna in water.
Would you say those fats are as healthy as eating nuts/fish oil caps? In regards to Omega 3's and all...

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Those healthy fats will help ur body better utilize its own fat for energy. In any type of cut diet you need healthy fat as it helps ur body better use ur bodyfat for energy and not ur muscle. I wouldnt sweat the fat as if its from fish its usualy good! :bb3:

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
Right, but I'm a bit unclear as to how truely healthy those fats are. I've been maintaining a strict diet while I can, and I'm consistantly eating 1 can of tuna a day. In vegetable oil, I believe its around 12g more fat than tuna in water.
Would you say those fats are as healthy as eating nuts/fish oil caps? In regards to Omega 3's and all...
nuts typically have a pretty well balanced profile of omegas 3,6,9 and fish oils are high in omega 3s, EPA and DHA. tuna fish also contains high concentrations of EPA and DHA. suffice to say, there is no bad fat in tuna. the only reason why you would not want to make it a constant staple in your diet is that it's also high in mercury. more than a few times a week is very healthy. but also keep in mind that you don't want to go overboard with the healthy fats either

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get it in water. Tuna in oil is nasty. Hard to drain, mushy, bleh. You should be getting your good fats from almonds, flax oil and fish oil caps (or liquid).

mania905

Awards
nuts typically have a pretty well balanced profile of omegas 3,6,9 and fish oils are high in omega 3s, EPA and DHA. tuna fish also contains high concentrations of EPA and DHA. suffice to say, there is no bad fat in tuna. the only reason why you would not want to make it a constant staple in your diet is that it's also high in mercury. more than a few times a week is very healthy. but also keep in mind that you don't want to go overboard with the healthy fats either
wait, tuna can does not have any tuna oil. It is vegetable oil and fat in tuna have been removed by process.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
They use the cheapest oil they can find. Good fish oil is too valuable so that is siphoned off and sold for supplements.

You are better off buying Tuna in water. Drain the water and add the amount, type and quality oil of your choice.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I buy my tuna in olive oil... It's firm, juicy and very tasty, the olive oil provides good fats, and I don't drain it, I just use the oil as dressing.
I would never buy some cheap crappy tuna in some unknown oil though, but tuna is water is too dry.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Tell me about it! I eat two cans every morning and it takes a bottle of water to wash it down.
Try in virgin olive oil if you can find it... It is very tasty and moist, I highly recommend it.

krogtaar

Awards
fyi chunk light tuna is fairly low in mercury as far as fish go

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
fyi chunk light tuna is fairly low in mercury as far as fish go
That's what I go for each time. I admit though - the reason why I get it in water is because I mix it with a bit of Miracle Whip... about 3g fat. I think it's safe to say you can have a chunk light can 4-5 times a week.

anbreeuh

Awards
Get it in water. Tuna in oil is nasty. Hard to drain, mushy, bleh. You should be getting your good fats from almonds, flax oil and fish oil caps (or liquid).
x2. I prefer it in water because I think it simply tastes better this way. I think the oil kind of ruins the purpose of eating the tuna, anyways.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
x2. I prefer it in water because I think it simply tastes better this way. I think the oil kind of ruins the purpose of eating the tuna, anyways.
Oils aint oils.

It depends what type of oil it is.

anbreeuh

Awards
Oils aint oils.

It depends what type of oil it is.
Preference, I guess. But wouldn't you say nutritionally, though, the water would be better overall? Or am I wrong in this assumption?

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Preference, I guess. But wouldn't you say nutritionally, though, the water would be better overall? Or am I wrong in this assumption?
If you don't want or need the extra calories then Tuna in water is better for the diet.

But if someone needs to get in more good, healthy fats or is trying to gain some mass (Tuna is very low cal but high protein) then Olive oil like nelix said is a great add in. Each tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil is over 100 kcals.

I usually take fish oil tabs when I eat tuna so I don't need the extra fat but when I do occassionaly mix in Olive Oil I think it tastes great and like nelix said it tastes better than plain tuna in water.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
If you don't want or need the extra calories then Tuna in water is better for the diet.

But if someone needs to get in more good, healthy fats or is trying to gain some mass (Tuna is very low cal but high protein) then Olive oil like nelix said is a great add in. Each tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil is over 100 kcals.

I usually take fish oil tabs when I eat tuna so I don't need the extra fat but when I do occassionaly mix in Olive Oil I think it tastes great and like nelix said it tastes better than plain tuna in water.
Very well put.
I buy mine in olive oil, because I find the spring water is very dry, if I am cooking I use water because I'll end up mixing it with other fats anyway... It comes down to macros...

I use olive oil as saled dressing, so for work tuna in olive oil is great, I tip the oil and tuna onto my saled, no dressing needed...

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
after eating 100's if not 1000's of cans of tuna i prefer in oil.

i find the tuna in water is dry as it oxidises in the water, the tuna in oil seems to be held together better as the oil does not oxidise the tuna.

i buy only high quality tuna and i drain of the excess oil.

cheers

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
I actually prefer the tuna in water. I dont mind the dryness, and I stopped eating for taste a while ago. I dont like the taste of most of the stuff I eat. haha. But maybe Ill try the olive oil, I always have a good bottle of that for cooking.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys must be eating the albacore and not the chunk light. The chunk light is much more moist, even in water.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
You guys must be eating the albacore and not the chunk light. The chunk light is much more moist, even in water.
Or maybe you had tried poor quality tuna in poor quality oil and you have not experienced the highs of top shelf tuna in olive oil?

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i always thought and still think that tuna that dries out like it does in water probably starts to lose it's quality thus lowering it's protein percentage

what does anyone else think?

Rodzilla

Board Sponsor
Awards
I will always choose tuna in water, and add my own fats if needed.