Tuna - In water or vegetable oil?

  1. Registered User
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    736

    Tuna - In water or vegetable oil?


    Wondering what you choose, for health purposes. Are the extra fats in the vegetable oil "healthy"? I could care less about the taste difference between water and vegetable...

  2. Registered User
    beebab's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    463
    Rep Power
    319

    look at the nutrition facts... the fats in tuna are mostly poly and monounsaturated, which are considered healthy fats. i prefer the tuna packaged in oil b/c that yields the healthy fats I need from tuna, whereas tuna in water comes with a lot less fat.
  3. Registered User
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    736

    Quote Originally Posted by beebab View Post
    look at the nutrition facts... the fats in tuna are mostly poly and monounsaturated, which are considered healthy fats. i prefer the tuna packaged in oil b/c that yields the healthy fats I need from tuna, whereas tuna in water comes with a lot less fat.
    Right, but I'm a bit unclear as to how truely healthy those fats are. I've been maintaining a strict diet while I can, and I'm consistantly eating 1 can of tuna a day. In vegetable oil, I believe its around 12g more fat than tuna in water.
    Would you say those fats are as healthy as eating nuts/fish oil caps? In regards to Omega 3's and all...
    •   
       

  4. On my grind
    Board Sponsor
    3clipseGT's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    9,942
    Rep Power
    1141106

    Those healthy fats will help ur body better utilize its own fat for energy. In any type of cut diet you need healthy fat as it helps ur body better use ur bodyfat for energy and not ur muscle. I wouldnt sweat the fat as if its from fish its usualy good! :bb3:
  5. Registered User
    beebab's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    463
    Rep Power
    319

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    Right, but I'm a bit unclear as to how truely healthy those fats are. I've been maintaining a strict diet while I can, and I'm consistantly eating 1 can of tuna a day. In vegetable oil, I believe its around 12g more fat than tuna in water.
    Would you say those fats are as healthy as eating nuts/fish oil caps? In regards to Omega 3's and all...
    nuts typically have a pretty well balanced profile of omegas 3,6,9 and fish oils are high in omega 3s, EPA and DHA. tuna fish also contains high concentrations of EPA and DHA. suffice to say, there is no bad fat in tuna. the only reason why you would not want to make it a constant staple in your diet is that it's also high in mercury. more than a few times a week is very healthy. but also keep in mind that you don't want to go overboard with the healthy fats either
  6. Registered User
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74316

    Get it in water. Tuna in oil is nasty. Hard to drain, mushy, bleh. You should be getting your good fats from almonds, flax oil and fish oil caps (or liquid).
  7. Registered User
    mania905's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    27
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    114

    Quote Originally Posted by beebab View Post
    nuts typically have a pretty well balanced profile of omegas 3,6,9 and fish oils are high in omega 3s, EPA and DHA. tuna fish also contains high concentrations of EPA and DHA. suffice to say, there is no bad fat in tuna. the only reason why you would not want to make it a constant staple in your diet is that it's also high in mercury. more than a few times a week is very healthy. but also keep in mind that you don't want to go overboard with the healthy fats either
    wait, tuna can does not have any tuna oil. It is vegetable oil and fat in tuna have been removed by process.
  8. Registered User
    datBtrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Power
    838

    They use the cheapest oil they can find. Good fish oil is too valuable so that is siphoned off and sold for supplements.

    You are better off buying Tuna in water. Drain the water and add the amount, type and quality oil of your choice.
  9. Registered User
    nelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,329
    Rep Power
    753

    I buy my tuna in olive oil... It's firm, juicy and very tasty, the olive oil provides good fats, and I don't drain it, I just use the oil as dressing.
    I would never buy some cheap crappy tuna in some unknown oil though, but tuna is water is too dry.
  10. Registered User
    datBtrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Power
    838

    Quote Originally Posted by nelix View Post
    ...but tuna is water is too dry.
    Tell me about it! I eat two cans every morning and it takes a bottle of water to wash it down.
  11. Registered User
    nelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,329
    Rep Power
    753

    Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    Tell me about it! I eat two cans every morning and it takes a bottle of water to wash it down.
    Try in virgin olive oil if you can find it... It is very tasty and moist, I highly recommend it.
  12. Registered User
    krogtaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    198

    fyi chunk light tuna is fairly low in mercury as far as fish go
  13. Registered User
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    736

    Quote Originally Posted by krogtaar View Post
    fyi chunk light tuna is fairly low in mercury as far as fish go
    That's what I go for each time. I admit though - the reason why I get it in water is because I mix it with a bit of Miracle Whip... about 3g fat. I think it's safe to say you can have a chunk light can 4-5 times a week.
  14. Registered User
    anbreeuh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    93

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    Get it in water. Tuna in oil is nasty. Hard to drain, mushy, bleh. You should be getting your good fats from almonds, flax oil and fish oil caps (or liquid).
    x2. I prefer it in water because I think it simply tastes better this way. I think the oil kind of ruins the purpose of eating the tuna, anyways.
  15. Registered User
    nelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,329
    Rep Power
    753

    Quote Originally Posted by anbreeuh View Post
    x2. I prefer it in water because I think it simply tastes better this way. I think the oil kind of ruins the purpose of eating the tuna, anyways.
    Oils aint oils.

    It depends what type of oil it is.
  16. Registered User
    anbreeuh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    93

    Quote Originally Posted by nelix View Post
    Oils aint oils.

    It depends what type of oil it is.
    Preference, I guess. But wouldn't you say nutritionally, though, the water would be better overall? Or am I wrong in this assumption?
  17. Registered User
    datBtrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Power
    838

    Quote Originally Posted by anbreeuh View Post
    Preference, I guess. But wouldn't you say nutritionally, though, the water would be better overall? Or am I wrong in this assumption?
    If you don't want or need the extra calories then Tuna in water is better for the diet.

    But if someone needs to get in more good, healthy fats or is trying to gain some mass (Tuna is very low cal but high protein) then Olive oil like nelix said is a great add in. Each tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil is over 100 kcals.

    I usually take fish oil tabs when I eat tuna so I don't need the extra fat but when I do occassionaly mix in Olive Oil I think it tastes great and like nelix said it tastes better than plain tuna in water.
  18. Registered User
    nelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,329
    Rep Power
    753

    Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    If you don't want or need the extra calories then Tuna in water is better for the diet.

    But if someone needs to get in more good, healthy fats or is trying to gain some mass (Tuna is very low cal but high protein) then Olive oil like nelix said is a great add in. Each tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil is over 100 kcals.

    I usually take fish oil tabs when I eat tuna so I don't need the extra fat but when I do occassionaly mix in Olive Oil I think it tastes great and like nelix said it tastes better than plain tuna in water.
    Very well put.
    I buy mine in olive oil, because I find the spring water is very dry, if I am cooking I use water because I'll end up mixing it with other fats anyway... It comes down to macros...

    I use olive oil as saled dressing, so for work tuna in olive oil is great, I tip the oil and tuna onto my saled, no dressing needed...
  19. Registered User
    b unit's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,647
    Rep Power
    1421

    after eating 100's if not 1000's of cans of tuna i prefer in oil.

    i find the tuna in water is dry as it oxidises in the water, the tuna in oil seems to be held together better as the oil does not oxidise the tuna.

    i buy only high quality tuna and i drain of the excess oil.

    cheers
  20. Registered User
    Maverick60's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    312
    Rep Power
    242

    I actually prefer the tuna in water. I dont mind the dryness, and I stopped eating for taste a while ago. I dont like the taste of most of the stuff I eat. haha. But maybe Ill try the olive oil, I always have a good bottle of that for cooking.
  21. Registered User
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74316

    You guys must be eating the albacore and not the chunk light. The chunk light is much more moist, even in water.
  22. Registered User
    nelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,329
    Rep Power
    753

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    You guys must be eating the albacore and not the chunk light. The chunk light is much more moist, even in water.
    Or maybe you had tried poor quality tuna in poor quality oil and you have not experienced the highs of top shelf tuna in olive oil?
  23. Registered User
    b unit's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,647
    Rep Power
    1421

    i always thought and still think that tuna that dries out like it does in water probably starts to lose it's quality thus lowering it's protein percentage

    what does anyone else think?
  24. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Rodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    144

    I will always choose tuna in water, and add my own fats if needed.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 09:52 AM
  2. Tuna in a can, Good or bad ?
    By Jim Mills in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 11:38 PM
  3. do you soak in hot or cold water
    By iwinulose2981 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 02:18 PM
  4. Post-workout drink: water or milk?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 02:01 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in