Kirkland Egg Starts

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
When it comes to egg substitutes, I've tried everything under the sun. Egg replacer, egg beaters, easy-eggs, etc. Nothing compares to these.

I know a huge number of you guys already know about these and eat these on a regular basis. This is for the people who may not know about Kirkland egg starts; if you do, feel free to comment here about them as well.

Kirkland Signature Egg Starts are a healthy non-yolk alternative to plain eggs. Extremely high in protein, with no cholesterol or fat, it's a great food that you can eat a lot of and not feel guilty.

There are 8 servings in a carton, which means if you down a carton a day you're looking at:

48 grams of protein
240 calories
8 grams of carbs

BUT- How does it taste?

I gotta be honest, I can't tell the difference. Best tasting egg product available. I could eat them plain and not wince like many other egg products make me do.

Normal Egg Behavior?

These things act exactly like real eggs do. They fluff up really well. The only thing is if you want to make a killer omelette then you should put a cover on your pan so that the center wont be liquidy when you flip. EASILY microwaveable and freezeable.

Available at all Costco and Sam's Club stores nationwide!

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Never tried those. However, I have tried 100% Egg Whites by International. Pretty much the same nutrition read out as the one you posted. They are essentially tasteless. I used to add them to protein drinks. Plus they are 100% Bio-Available.

The downside to them was they came in a big tub. It was pretty messy measuring them. However, now they have a pump you can get and it works MUCH better.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
These rock because you can get them so very cheaply at costco.

beallio

beallio

Awards
Approximately $7 for a carton of six. Each carton is 8 servings. I have everyone every night before I go to bed. Good stuff.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey can one of you see if there is an email or web address on the side of the carton and ask them how much Arachidonic Acid is there per serving?

beallio

beallio

Awards
hey can one of you see if there is an email or web address on the side of the carton and ask them how much Arachidonic Acid is there per serving?
There's no fat in these, e.g. there are no yolks. Egg yolks are a source of Arachidonic Acid.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
1/4 cup for 6g protein haha i think ill pass. waste of money

DougMan

Awards
Kirkland
1.30/carton for ~48g protein.

EggwhitesIntl
132(shipped) for 4 gallons = 33 gallon
1 gallon = 128oz = 8 Cartons.
$33 / 8 cartons = 4.13/Carton

As to the value versus other sources of protein you are not exactly comparing apples-to-apples if you try comparing it to the value you get by buying bulk powder.

ATW isolate is ~8.50/lb (shipped with discount) when bought at a similar size.
16 servings @25g protein/serving means we get about 8 servings/lb.
8.50/8 = 1.07 for the equivalent amount of protein. So it is about a quarter more per carton, or 12 cents per normal 8oz serving.

I don't think I want my omelette made with powder so I will probably continue to pay the extra 12 cents/day :)

Gordon foods has the best deal on egg whites hands down. God ,I miss the midwest! 30lbs for $18 or something awesome like that. That was a couple years back though, might be more expensive now.

Al Shades

Al Shades

Awards
Where's the anabolic fat - the best part of the egg?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Those costco egg white cartons are great. They make life easy because 1 carton gives you 48 grams. I tried drinking it and it's not that bad either as long as you don't chug it.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have been adding 1/2c egg beaters southwest blend to my eggs in the morning and it is great...

i use 1/2c of the mix plus 3 egg whites and 2 whole eggs every morning and im loving it...

DougMan - We have a GFS in Erie, about 15mins away... is it worth the trip up? i have never been there....

DougMan

Awards
DougMan - We have a GFS in Erie, about 15mins away... is it worth the trip up? i have never been there....
Yeah, I used to have them special order things for me, such as the egg whites. 30lbs of egg whites last a long time, and they used to be really cheap. I would give them a call and see what they can do. I actually prefer their egg whites to kirklands because kirklands have added spices and a bit of an odd smell. GFS is nice as it is open to the general public as well, so no membership overhead. I haven't really tried anything else from there.

Worth 30 minutes round trip? Depends if you can pick up anything else there. Perhaps they have a good deal on bulk oats or pre-cooked chicken as well, not sure. I would give it a shot.

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
I tried drinking it and it's not that bad either as long as you don't chug it.

Kirkland Egg Starts. Love em. Chug em.

I have a carton for breakfast, plus 5 whole omega 3 eggs. I chase the carton with a lil oj, and I'm gtg.