Sugar postworkout?

Kuruption

Awards
Is dextrose ok to have post workout? I see a few people on other forums say oatmeal milk and whey are better. Im worried about fat gain and doesn't a spike in insulin encourage that?

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
not PWO. after a workout is when your body actually needs an insulin spike to replenish muscle glycogen lost during exercise. PWO is the time when your body is most sensitive to the good effects of Insulin (i.e. whereby insulin shuttles carbs into your muscles, rather than adipose tissue). of course, if you overdo the post workout carbs the residual carbs that can't fit in your muscle stores may be stored as body fat.

in this regard, dextrose would be a good carb for PWO consumption b/c it would get you that immediate blood sugar spike that your muscles crave at that point in time. you might end up feeling somewhat bloated, however.

i've found that i don't get much of a bloat with oats, but if i eat too many oats (or carbs for that matter) i do feel bloated and have a hard time getting hungry again an hr later for a full meal. so i'd say, keep your pre and PWO meals somewhat small but efficient enough to kick start the anabolic processes and reserve your hunger for your post post meal.

also, i'd stay away from mixing milk and whey. you'll feel very bloated and the casein protein in milk would only slow the absorption of your whey, which is not totally ideal PWO.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I personally have crappy experiences with that dextrose crap. I've tried that, vitargo, malto, and a few others... I am pretty ripped right now and the sugar powder $h1t made me and most others I know who use it FAT. I am a few steps ahead with the preaching of insulin spike, anabolic window PWO, etc... If I hear another preach about that crap, heads are going to roll.

Personally, I fair well with 50 grams whey isolate or hydrosolate, or a good iso/concentrate blend like Oryx Goat Whey. I drink the shake and eat a small banana and a piece of Ezekiel bread with some honey drizzled on it. I've been getting fuller muscle-bellies, no fat gain, and awesome recovery without glycemic crashes.

Original Cell Tech preaches the dextrose PWO. Everyone I know who uses that stuff is a fat tub of lard.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I personally have crappy experiences with that dextrose crap. I've tried that, vitargo, malto, and a few others... I am pretty ripped right now and the sugar powder $h1t made me and most others I know who use it FAT. I am a few steps ahead with the preaching of insulin spike, anabolic window PWO, etc... If I hear another preach about that crap, heads are going to roll.

Personally, I fair well with 50 grams whey isolate or hydrosolate, or a good iso/concentrate blend like Oryx Goat Whey. I drink the shake and eat a small banana and a piece of Ezekiel bread with some honey drizzled on it. I've been getting fuller muscle-bellies, no fat gain, and awesome recovery without glycemic crashes.

Original Cell Tech preaches the dextrose PWO. Everyone I know who uses that stuff is a fat tub of lard.
i agree with you that pre/post nutrition has become very overrated, especially with all the hype over bogus products like cell tech. whey isolate and a good source of carbohydrate are really all you need after a workout...i've found that ultimately the type of carb you eat PWO doesn't matter as much, as long as you get quality carbs into your system for recovery without gorging yourself. 50 grams of dextrose is overrated and would only get you bloated... not to say however that some mild sugary carb, like raisins, still wouldn't be effective PWO.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ive been doing 1 cup oats + 70g WMS pre workout, and 70g WMS post workout.

onelife

onelife

Awards
I have been getting great results with whey protein, a small amount of simple carbs (fruit) and some complex whole grain carbs

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Beebab is right that your body is not in a hormonal enviroment that is indicative to making you fat PWO. Dextrose can be good to pack on mass, but getting cut would still be hard. Post workout your body is going to use it more effectively than any other point in the day, and that insulin spike will add muscle, but you still can get a bit doughy. I also find dextrose makes me feel bloated.

I'm expecting a trend of complex carbs post workout, regardless of how fast they are.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
i agree with you that pre/post nutrition has become very overrated, especially with all the hype over bogus products like cell tech. whey isolate and a good source of carbohydrate are really all you need after a workout...i've found that ultimately the type of carb you eat PWO doesn't matter as much, as long as you get quality carbs into your system for recovery without gorging yourself. 50 grams of dextrose is overrated and would only get you bloated... not to say however that some mild sugary carb, like raisins, still wouldn't be effective PWO.
Agreed man 100%. I personally like a good, natural blend. A little fructose never hurts to bolster liver glycogen a bit and get the body's energy and 'chi' back up to par. As long as you aren't consuming significant amounts of fat PWO, you should be golden with a nice blend of a little fast absorbing carbs, a little medium/slow. I love the small banana, and 2 pieces of Ezekiel grain bread with honey (honey sandwich). Google 'honey post workout' and some say it's the optimal carb source for PWO. Your body will kindly let you know what it doesn't like ;)

Dave0660

Awards
When I am not worried about the calories, I love grape juice and chocolate flavored whey. It isn't as bad as it sounds! I like it actually and it works great.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Google 'honey post workout' and some say it's the optimal carb source for PWO.
Not picking on ya bro - just gonna use your reference to posts about about optimal carbs.

There is no 'optimal carb source'. Likewise there is no optimal fat or protein. Yes some are better than others but none stand out as the best. Your body can use all of the above for energy with certain restrictions for each. IMO try to stick to whole food sources in order to maximize MICROnutrition and minimize processed foods like refined carbs, protein powders, and oils.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Not picking on ya bro - just gonna use your reference to posts about about optimal carbs.

There is no 'optimal carb source'. Likewise there is no optimal fat or protein. Yes some are better than others but none stand out as the best. Your body can use all of the above for energy with certain restrictions for each. IMO try to stick to whole food sources in order to maximize MICROnutrition and minimize processed foods like refined carbs, protein powders, and oils.
No doubt bro. I am with you 100%. It's all about what works well with your body. If you're body isn't taking to something effectively, don't keep feeding it with it.

When I mentioned the honey, I was merely stating that there was some logic and research done about it before I started putting it into my body. I figured that honey is a good natural source of sucrose and fructose and that it'd make the slices of sprouted grain bread taste a little better, but PWO nutrition isn't all about taste, it's about results. Maybe someone out there is looking for something new to add to their post-workout arsenal and I as well, being a whole food advocate, can vouch for honey's effectiveness. ;)

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
PWO 1 cup of rolled oats and 2 scoops of whey. Unfortunately my body is laZy and doesN't process simple sugars... as it seems to store as fat. So I go the complex route w/ fewer complaints.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sometimes I feel that there is too much emphasis on cramming food down right after a workout. put it this way: say 45 mins of weight training burns 450 calories. If all of those calories are burned from carbs (yielding ~4 calories per gram). Then one would burn about 112.5 grams of calorie-carbs. This not the case for a few reasons.

1- protein PWO also provides carbs...50g x4 = 200cals
2- add this to the 112.5g carbs (450 cals) and now we have consumed 650cals.....Okay if trying to gain weight but not if trying be lean or simply "Replenish" stores.

Since we now know not all cals burned whilst lifting come from carbs (all macros are broken down into glucose and then used or stored.) we have to account for a few things:

1- find a balance..we don't realistically need more than 40-60 carbs PWO depending on goal, bodyweight, intensity etc. (again, this is assuming we are just "replenishing stores").

2- if one were trying to be in a caloric deficit, DIRECTLY PWO is not the time to skimp out on macros.. (esp. proteins and carbs). we should replenish here, and cut cals back evenly throughout the day.

**The food we eat all day including post workout should be taken into serious account becuase over these periods of time, glycogen (or fat of course) is stored and ready for use. This is why its optimal to space one of your balanced meals Pre Workout, about an hour before..to keep everything even and not cram down 1+cup of oats on the way to the gym. (a little extra carbs before heavy weight training aren't bad though).

Balanced whole food meals are the best, so of course if working out at 8pm, one would have a meal at 7pm...maybe a piece of fruit while beginning their workout for extra energy, and then a small Post Workout meal to replenish stores, prevent catabolism, and promote anabolism (hopefully)... until your next meal comes around.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Good post. A lot of people forget-or never learn-an overall balanced diet, suited to fit your goal(s), is the key to success or failure.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good post. A lot of people forget-or never learn-an overall balanced diet, suited to fit your goal(s), is the key to success or failure.
As much as I can sound like I know on paper, its a continuous learning process for me to find out what works best with my body. It can get frustrating but it will all be worth it.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sometimes I feel that there is too much emphasis on cramming food down right after a workout. put it this way: say 45 mins of weight training burns 450 calories. If all of those calories are burned from carbs (yielding ~4 calories per gram). Then one would burn about 112.5 grams of calorie-carbs. This not the case for a few reasons.

1- protein PWO also provides carbs...50g x4 = 200cals
2- add this to the 112.5g carbs (450 cals) and now we have consumed 650cals.....Okay if trying to gain weight but not if trying be lean or simply "Replenish" stores.

Since we now know not all cals burned whilst lifting come from carbs (all macros are broken down into glucose and then used or stored.) we have to account for a few things:

1- find a balance..we don't realistically need more than 40-60 carbs PWO depending on goal, bodyweight, intensity etc. (again, this is assuming we are just "replenishing stores").

2- if one were trying to be in a caloric deficit, DIRECTLY PWO is not the time to skimp out on macros.. (esp. proteins and carbs). we should replenish here, and cut cals back evenly throughout the day.

**The food we eat all day including post workout should be taken into serious account becuase over these periods of time, glycogen (or fat of course) is stored and ready for use. This is why its optimal to space one of your balanced meals Pre Workout, about an hour before..to keep everything even and not cram down 1+cup of oats on the way to the gym. (a little extra carbs before heavy weight training aren't bad though).

Balanced whole food meals are the best, so of course if working out at 8pm, one would have a meal at 7pm...maybe a piece of fruit while beginning their workout for extra energy, and then a small Post Workout meal to replenish stores, prevent catabolism, and promote anabolism (hopefully)... until your next meal comes around.
Props to you. You can see that once you start to look at things analytically many of the 'common' concepts just don't add up. Pre workout nutrition will also have an impact on post workout calorie needs.

FYI fat cannot be converted to glucose but glucose can be converted to fat. There is a small carb yield from the glycerol part of fat but FFA's are not convertable.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Props to you. You can see that once you start to look at things analytically many of the 'common' concepts just don't add up. Pre workout nutrition will also have an impact on post workout calorie needs.

FYI fat cannot be converted to glucose but glucose can be converted to fat. There is a small carb yield from the glycerol part of fat but FFA's are not convertable.
yea your are right. I got it mixed up. Thanks though. The analytical approach is really going to help me tighten things up. Ive just been eating too much of the wrong things at the wrong times.....Which many people do

jikeman

Awards
I eat a pack of swedish fish (54g of sugar) and 70g protein in a 32ounce gatorade it seems to work for me.

jikeman

Awards
swedish fish are the ****..i want them in my coffin when I die

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
swedish fish are the ****..i want them in my coffin when I die
I like the concept, and I used to finagle with the same concept. I remember have a whey isolate shake with a pack of Skittles. I just have been staying completely away from junk-food like candy, sweets, soda, and all processed crap. I feel more vibrant, look much better, and my mental clarity feels exponentially better.

Years of taking in $#i+ into your body, it will take more than a 'magic 10 day cleanse' to get it all out. It took me 2 major detoxifications and complete elmination of the processed crap until I started feeling different. That and some Poseidon, Relora, and good anti-oxidants, I feel almost reborn. I enjoy eating food at restaurants and I will order occasional meals that qualify as a cheat, but it's not like it was where I'd not bother to care about the refined goods. It DOES make a difference. I will not go back to eating garbage again.

IainDaniel

Awards
There is no right answer.

It is something you are going to have to experiment with for a period of time, and evaluate the outcome.

Some people have great benefits from Dextrose, and others Oats. Go on a 4-6 week stint using one, then another 4-6 week stint using the other. Try to keep the Variables the same, and evaluate how you feel to measurements, to progress.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tend to have more carbs pre-workout than post workout. Before my workouts I'll have a cup of oatmeal, and 70g WMS. I figure the oatmeal will sort of be the steady energy to carry me throughout the workout until I get my post-workout nutrition, and the WMS will be the instant rush my muscles need to fuel the beginning of the workout. Post-workout I have 70g WMS, and then an hour later have a full meal. I don't know how scientific it is, but it works.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I tend to have more carbs pre-workout than post workout. Before my workouts I'll have a cup of oatmeal, and 70g WMS. I figure the oatmeal will sort of be the steady energy to carry me throughout the workout until I get my post-workout nutrition, and the WMS will be the instant rush my muscles need to fuel the beginning of the workout. Post-workout I have 70g WMS, and then an hour later have a full meal. I don't know how scientific it is, but it works.
damn thats a lot of carbs...how much you weight?