Irish Cannon's Mega-dosing Fish Oil Results/Log!!!

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I first read the thread by Easy about a month ago, I decided to give mega-dosing fish oil a try. At that time, I was about 198 lbs, with a very solid diet that I just started to really stick to (diet is in a critique thread I made in the Bulking section).

I've been taking 40g of fish oil ED for about the last month.

I stepped on the scale at the gym today and it read 212 lbs, yet I look leaner, and don't notice too much of a change in my wasit size; slightly bigger, but not much.

My strength continues to go up during my workouts, and it feels great. I've benefited more from this than any other supplement or hormone I've ever taken. Granted, I'm sure lots of the success is from sticking to my diet, but I've never noticed this much of a change before.

I'm going to continue to keep everyone updated on my bulk. My goal was 210 by the end of this school semester in December, but since I've reached that, I'm shooting for 220 (maybe even 225 :twisted: ). Come January I will switch to a cutting phase and try to drop to a shredded 190.

Only sides I've noticed are slightly greasier hair in the morning.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Do you guys that megadose fish oils take extra Vitamin E?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
That is nuts man... absolutely nuts.
Do you think it's truely because of the fish oil? I'm not sure what your old diet was like.. was it bad enough to hold back these kinds of gains? Pretty cool...

Any side effects either to consider? I'm pondering giving this a go. I found Poliquins thread pretty interesting.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is nuts man... absolutely nuts.
Do you think it's truely because of the fish oil? I'm not sure what your old diet was like.. was it bad enough to hold back these kinds of gains? Pretty cool...

Any side effects either to consider? I'm pondering giving this a go. I found Poliquins thread pretty interesting.
I have a strong feeling that the fish oil really made a difference. I am taking the capsules right now, and may switch to the oil soon; but Nutraplanet hasn't had it in stock and that's really the only place I order my stuff at. I might have to go to bb.com.

onelife

onelife

Awards
i would love to see a log of this with bf checked throughout... definitley interests me a ton

tattoopierced1

40mg or 40g? Also, I've heard you can get the "sputters" with taking fish oils this high, similar to that diet drug that just came out... have you noticed anything in this area?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you don't get the leakage if you take it with meals.

beallio

beallio

Awards
40mg or 40g? Also, I've heard you can get the "sputters" with taking fish oils this high, similar to that diet drug that just came out... have you noticed anything in this area?
I have to agree with Easy - not if you take it with meals. Although I can't comment on taking it alone as I haven't done that yet.

I've noticed less joint pain as well. I haven't been able to do squats 2x/week (let along high rep sets) for a while now. Much, much better. I like having my teardrop back.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
i just don't see how mega dosing omega 3s will accomplish anything of significance. sure, you may have gained that extra weight, but what kind of weight is it? omega 3s are a natural anti-inflammatory; omega 6, like the archidonic acid in X-Factor (which has a proven anabolic effect) is a pro-inflammatory. so by this logic, wouldn't mega dosing fish oils keep you in a semi anti-anabolic state (not catabolic)?

i tested this theory for a few weeks and noticed nothing. positive mood balance definitely, but nothing as far as muscle hypertrophy. also, no real leanness either. diet wasn't the greatest, but be that as it may.... i'm a proponent of taking a reasonable amount each day (maybe 1 capsule with meals, or before bed) to facilitate steady lipolysis, but i can't see anything extreme happening with fish oils

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i just don't see how mega dosing omega 3s will accomplish anything of significance. sure, you may have gained that extra weight, but what kind of weight is it? omega 3s are a natural anti-inflammatory; omega 6, like the archidonic acid in X-Factor (which has a proven anabolic effect) is a pro-inflammatory. so by this logic, wouldn't mega dosing fish oils keep you in a semi anti-anabolic state (not catabolic)?

i tested this theory for a few weeks and noticed nothing. positive mood balance definitely, but nothing as far as muscle hypertrophy. also, no real leanness either. diet wasn't the greatest, but be that as it may.... i'm a proponent of taking a reasonable amount each day (maybe 1 capsule with meals, or before bed) to facilitate steady lipolysis, but i can't see anything extreme happening with fish oils
I can't see anything extreme happening from people taking your advice.

It is what it is. I never said that the fish oils were the direct source for the weight gain, but I haven't gained this quickly ever before, and the only difference in my supplement regimine is the fish oil capsules.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established

I had thought that the arachidonic acid supplementation increased anabolism because it's a precursor to prostaglandins ,which regulate cell growth, and not because arachidonic acid's signal cascade in the body is an inflammatory process. And while the omega acids in fish oil would provide an anti-inflammatory response, this does not mean it's an anti-anabolic response.

I believe the use of the omega 3's while supplementing with arachidonic acid is not recommended because they will compete for the enzymes required to complete the arachidonic conversion pathway.

So while the arachidonic acid may be anabolic because it increases the growth response, it is an inflammatory process, that may be stressful on the body.

And I would think that the anti-inflammatory response from fish oil consumption would be beneficial because it would enhance your recovery abilities by making it easier to deal with the inflammation that weight training would cause. And this I would think is not a direct anabolic effect, but instead I think of it as an increased opportunity for your body to be in an anabolic state, since there will be less energy expended on trying to reduce inflammation.

Not something I know a lot about, but it's interesting to try to reason about these things since it's hard to find accurate information on how they directly relate to exercise.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bitterplacebo again.

Very nice BP! I think there is actually some evidence to support use of fish oil during AA use. I think it was Smeton who mentioned reading something, but couldnt remember where.

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
What was your BF% before starting this. You said you "look leaner." What is your BF% now?

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I can't see anything extreme happening from people taking your advice.

It is what it is. I never said that the fish oils were the direct source for the weight gain, but I haven't gained this quickly ever before, and the only difference in my supplement regimine is the fish oil capsules.
no need to get hostile bro i wasn't trying to be condescending i'm just questioning the legitimacy of this theory. i wasn't intending to give advice either. i really don't know much about this fish oil theory, but i would like to see some kind of clinical study proving these claims true.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What was your BF% before starting this. You said you "look leaner." What is your BF% now?
I'm not too sure. I'm guessing it was 13%ish when I started. I leak leaner around the shoulders and chest right now, and considering I put on more than 10 lbs so far that's pretty impressive. I really only hold my noticeable fat around the waist and lower back. Everything else stays pretty lean. I'm going to get some pictures up here later today if possible. I'm supposed to be finishing up a term paper on the historical, recent, current, and forecasted U.S. financial market. Once I'm done with that, I'll get my roomate to take some pics.

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
40g of fish oil more per day is 360 more calories. That in and of itself would cause weight gain, especially if you weren't eating enough before you started.

However, you are not the only person to notice weight gain when mega-dosing fish oil. There could definately be some substance to the claims. Keep it up :thumbsup:

I just ordered two bottles of orange flavored fish oil, a total of 16oz worth. PFO fish oil made by Health from the Sun

I tried to PM you a link to the site, Irish Cannon, but you don't receive PMs.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I have a strong feeling that the fish oil really made a difference. I am taking the capsules right now, and may switch to the oil soon; but Nutraplanet hasn't had it in stock and that's really the only place I order my stuff at. I might have to go to bb.com.
Vitamin Shoppe liquid is pretty decent. They were running a buy one, get one 50% off sale a few weeks ago. Not sure if its still on but the $$ wasn't bad, like $7/ 8oz bottle.

I would suggest ordering online even if you have one local as they admittedly don't carry many bottles in the stores (only 3 bottles at a time here in CO).

X

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Yea I got 10 bottle of NOW Omega-3's on the way. Going to start them in a few weeks while "ON" and "OFF" 6-8 weeks total.

Liquid or pills? I thought that there was a 'potential' issue with pills/liquicaps? something to do with the capping that may cause the benefits to not be realized?

I thought I remembered something along those lines?

:think:

X

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it was the liquid 8oz bottles for $7. nice deal with the buy 1 get one 50% off

grape ape

Awards
I have been following the two mega dosing fish oil threads, but I'm confused. Is it suposed to be both anabolic and lowering bodyfat? Also, how does it work? I am not doubting it, just curious.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Liquid or pills? I thought that there was a 'potential' issue with pills/liquicaps? something to do with the capping that may cause the benefits to not be realized?

I thought I remembered something along those lines?

:think:

X
Pills. I dont recall reading anything that proves pills in-effective vs. liquid. I could be wrong

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mega dosing fish oils... hmmm, that's interesting. Did you experience strength gains? I read you gained weight, and lean weight at that, but I'm not sure if I read that you had strength gains too.

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
If anyone wants to buy 1000 Fish oils @ 33.99$ a bottle pm and ill give u the site , each pill is 1gram of fish oils + 180 epa + 120 dha