Cottage cheese too high in sodium?

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been eating one full tub (the big one) every night before bed for the last three years. I never really payed too much attention to sodium content, but the other night I noticed how high it was. Is this a big problem? I'm not ever going to compete in any BB competitions, but I am worried about health, and I don't want to retain tons of water if I don't need to. I've considered switching to Ultra Peptide before bed, but I just really don't like the idea of having to take in powder as another meal. Whey already serves as part of my pre and post workout meals, and I don't want to resort to powder for a third time. I like whole foods. Any other suggestions for cassein?

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I noticed this the other day I was putting down some cottage cheese. 1 serving size (which is about half a cup) was 400mg of sodium. I think there were 5 servings total in a tub.

Not sure of a good whole food source for casein protein. What about substituting another shake during the day for whole food. Then having a casein shake before bed? Just an idea.

I would also like to know of other whole foods that are high in casein protein.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Damn man how big are you to be knocking down the entire tub of cottage cheese? Your body doesn't need all too much protein to get your through the night since your body is still in rest mode.

High sodium diets day in a day out can cause cholesterol problems (from the extra water and causing higher blood pressure) but if your being careful to monitor it and take other things (healthy oils for example) you should be fine as far as that goes (I think they recommend no higher than 2,300mg sodium a day.) But if your worried about water retention you may want to switch to 1 cup before bed with an EFA or just go to a casein shake.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
friendship cottage cheese makes a brand that has no sodium added if u can find that around you

sickboy

sickboy

Awards
One cup of cottage cheese is plenty before bed. Have some almonds or some other nuts along with it.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
salt free cc

The no sodium added cottage cheese is the most nasty thing ever. I absolutely love plain cottage cheese of any variety, but don't ask me to choke down "no salt added" plain. If you add stuff to it then maybe it's not so bad, but I tried it straight up.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
The no sodium added cottage cheese is the most nasty thing ever. I absolutely love plain cottage cheese of any variety, but don't ask me to choke down "no salt added" plain. If you add stuff to it then maybe it's not so bad, but I tried it straight up.
Try throwing a little splenda and jam, or a little crystal light lemonade. Sounds odd but its damn good to me at least....

beallio

beallio

Awards
My advice is drink more water through out the day to counteract the increased intake of sodium.

If it's any consolation I consume at least a pound (8 servings) of CC/day

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
friendship cottage cheese makes a brand that has no sodium added if u can find that around you
Yeah, but have you ever tasted sodium-free cottage cheese? BLECH.

If anything, I would gran some low/no-sodium and cut it 1/2 and 1/2 with regular cottage cheese.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't matter. Either drink more water or increase your potassium intake. Increasing potassium will have the same meaningful effects of lowering sodium. Regardless, unless you're salt sensitive, it doesn't matter.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but have you ever tasted sodium-free cottage cheese? BLECH.

If anything, I would gran some low/no-sodium and cut it 1/2 and 1/2 with regular cottage cheese.
:goodpost:

I've started doing this with regular CC and 'dry curd' CC (which has no added sodium). I think it is a good compromise.

Considering that amount of salt that is found in all our food, finding ways to cut back is a good idea. Since regular CC has so much, it is a good area to look for 'sodium savings'