"Weight Control" Quaker Instant Oatmeal - Splenda

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I've got a question about a brand of oatmeal I've been downing like CRAZY lately for carbs... absolutely love this stuff.
Quaker "Weight Control" instant oatmeal
Total fat - 3g (0.5 sat fat)
Sodium - 310mg
Total Carbs - 29g
- 6g fiber, 4g soluable fiber, 1g sugar
Protein - 7g

It tastes absoluetly great, but then again I really love oatmeal. The only thing that is starting to worry me is the fact that the sugar used is Splenda. How bad is this stuff? I eat at least 3 or 4 packets a day, sometimes as much as 6 (3 packets in a meal).
Just as an FYI, it comes in flavors Cinnimon and Maple Brown Sugar... at least so far that I've found. And they are GREAT!

IainDaniel

Awards
Most of the pre-packaged Oatmeals aren't that great.

Just make some plain oatmeal, if you need a sweetner you could use Splenda or Stevia. Or you could try Honey.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Most of the pre-packaged Oatmeals aren't that great.

Just make some plain oatmeal, if you need a sweetner you could use Splenda or Stevia. Or you could try Honey.
So you wouldn't say Splenda is that bad of a deal? That the sweetener used in this brand.
I also picked up a Splenda Ice Tea mix, which I thought was pretty great for a once in a while thing. It's that I hear so much nasty things about Aspartame, and I'm not sure if I should be putting Splenda in the same boat as it.

mrSlate

Awards
Stevia in oatmeal is the most disgusting thing i have ever tried..i know its personal preference but wow the only thing i can use stevia for is iced tea its to bitter otherwise.

mbj0186

Awards
Well...Splenda is derived from sugar by adding chloride ions in place of hydroxyl groups. Therefore, the enzymes in the small intestine can't "recognize" it and it can't be digested, and calories are not absorbed.

The drawback to Splenda is that some studies have shown negative side effects including diarrhea; organ, immune system, and reproductive damage; and even inflammation of the kidneys when taken in large amounts. The FDA actually claims that sucralose, or Splenda, is 98% pure. The other 2% contains small amounts of heavy metals, methanol, and even arsenic.

Some studies have even shown that it may increase appetite for sweet foods. It essentially tricks your taste buds into thinking that your eating sweet foods, which can leave you craving for more. All in all, I think artificial sweeteners are hazardous. If it can do this in large amounts, imagine what it can do over a long period of time. And that's the problem; no long term studies have been conducted to test its safety because it hasn't been around long enough.

I'd say shoot for Stevia since it's 100% natural and very sweet in small amounts.

Minnesota

Minnesota

Awards
i rock the low sugar quaker, no need for flavor adders and it mixes nice with cooked egg whites.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've got a question about a brand of oatmeal I've been downing like CRAZY lately for carbs... absolutely love this stuff.
Sodium - 310mg
Total Carbs - 29g
Protein - 7g

It tastes absoluetly great, but then again I really love oatmeal. The only thing that is starting to worry me is the fact that the sugar used is Splenda. How bad is this stuff? I eat at least 3 or 4 packets a day, sometimes as much as 6 (3 packets in a meal).
Just as an FYI, it comes in flavors Cinnimon and Maple Brown Sugar... at least so far that I've found. And they are GREAT!
Try the banana bread flavor that is awesome, instant oatmeal isn't the best for you but I love the weight control flavors all 3 are great.When I hit the snooze 3 times in the morning it saves time and beats eating a bowl of my kids Cap n Crunch with crunchberries.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Sodium - 310mg
Total Carbs - 29g
Protein - 7g

I agree, this oatmeal is delicious. One quick note, if you make the maple/brown sugar kind the smell WILL NOT leave your hand. You may think I'm nuts, but Ive actually had people ask me if I was "eating syrup this morning?" Hand washing doesn't work either the smell is with you for most of the morning. This is the only flavor I noticed this with. As far a splenda goes, I use it modestly. Anything that fizzes when you pour it in liquid can't be good for you. I limit to a pack/day.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Stevia in oatmeal is the most disgusting thing i have ever tried..i know its personal preference but wow the only thing i can use stevia for is iced tea its to bitter otherwise.
Usually, I make the "old fashioned" oats w/ a scoop of what ever flavored protein mix I have. Its fairly economical, and it eliminates the high sugar content found in the instant packets.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
The weight control oatmeal packets are great! It has the same nutrition that a 1/2 cup of oats does with a little added protein from some WPI. Easy to just take those to work and nuke them up. The banana bread is the bomb so I say keep eating them! Rock on!

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
On a related topic. Anyone know the GI between the quaker 1 min quick oats and the old fashioned (both contain 100% whole grain steel cut oats)..... I've heard the quick oats are alot higher on the GI which makes sense kinda.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
Oat partical size does not affect GI. Ground oats (oat flour) has same GI as the old fashoined rolled oats. I read it on here quite awhile ago..Bobo posted a link....

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oat partical size does not affect GI. Ground oats (oat flour) has same GI as the old fashoined rolled oats. I read it on here quite awhile ago..Bobo posted a link....
good. i was hoping so.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I read that somewhere too.

But on a different note: I would think that your body definitely needs to expend more energy to digest rolled oats compared to oats flour. For rolled oats, the body needs to chew it up, needs more enzymes and acid and sh*t to break it down to a mush in the intestines etc..:)

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established

But on a different note: I would think that your body definitely needs to expend more energy to digest rolled oats compared to oats flour. For rolled oats, the body needs to chew it up, needs more enzymes and acid and sh*t to break it down to a mush in the intestines etc..:)
this is why I opted for fruit juices and or ground oats over whole fruits and whole grains \ oats, I am not a fan of downing pure dextrose PWO but I think that liquid natural carb sources with moderate to high GI would be a good choice

onelife

onelife

Awards
I see no problem in you using this product...nor do i see a problem in consuming several packets a day of splenda. I have read the studies and now a days it seems everything we consume is loaded with fillers and additives.. downing a couple splenda packets is not whats going to kill ya in the end :)

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established

Honestly after you get done chewing, cooking, or blending the oats....how much different does it really look after its gets down the hatch. My guess is not all that much really...

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Usually, I make the "old fashioned" oats w/ a scoop of what ever flavored protein mix I have. Its fairly economical, and it eliminates the high sugar content found in the instant packets.
x2

I'll also heat a frying pan really hot and place the microwaved oats in the pan browning each side then putting the mixed whey (paste like) over the top. It's not for everyone, but I like it.