Food Variation?

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How important to you is food variation in your diet? Not from a taste or satisfaction standpoint, but from a productivity and results standpoint? For instance, if I wanted to eat oatmeal and chicken breasts for every meal with the amounts such that I would hit my desired macronutrient ratios, would that be beneficial or detrimental? Just curious because I know all sample diets have a large variety of things listed, but I'd rather just eat a few things in large quantities if I'm in hardcore mode...

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont think there is anything detrimental to that. If anything I'd think it'd be benifical. You know exactly whats going into your body each day. Infact when I was in the best shape of my life I ate the same foods for 10 weeks straight. Only thing I would change is the amounts. I felt it became routine and much easier to stay on track and know when it was time to take out/add in. Know what I mean?

avenue Red

Awards
I have to agree. When I need to drop weight or cut I eat the exact same foods at the exact same times and its like a routine its easy and i know what im gonna eat and what its gonna taste like. idk just alot easier

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think if you have all of your macros in place, and covering all required nutrients, it would actually be beneficial from a strictly physical standpoint to keep a steady non-varying diet.

Think of what diet changes do to pets.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so long as it is truly balanced yes. But you'd still want a mix of protein types, I wouldnt want to get all my protein from just chicken for instance. If I had to pick i'd have to go with beef for that. but having the overall diet "locked" wouldn't be bad. heck a mix of red meat, chicken, and fish cooked together so each meal was a mix wouldn't be all bad

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
How important to you is food variation in your diet? Not from a taste or satisfaction standpoint, but from a productivity and results standpoint? For instance, if I wanted to eat oatmeal and chicken breasts for every meal with the amounts such that I would hit my desired macronutrient ratios, would that be beneficial or detrimental? Just curious because I know all sample diets have a large variety of things listed, but I'd rather just eat a few things in large quantities if I'm in hardcore mode...
I cannot see it being detrimental. Knowing how the body adapts I could see benefit. When I am in hardcore mode brown rice and chicken/tuna are the staple foods. I think consistency is one of the major keys. Same meal times, same meal sizes. That is what I tell diabetics all day long.

BTW, good to see you posting regularly again.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I stick to the same food every day for about six months. Makes things easy, and makes going out for dinner on Friday nights a huge treat.

Horray for no variation!

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you take your vitamins because it would be almost impossible to not have any nutrient or vitamin deficiencies if your diet is limited to such a small amount of sources.

The only thing I would say to do would be add some veggies in there. Other than that I would say its probably better to keep it simple for the reasons everyone else has mentioned. I tend to eat the same things several times a day everyday.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I take multi's and fish oils regularly, and all I've been eating lately has been turkey sandwiches on whole wheat, cottage cheese, skim milk, eggs, fat free cheese, protein powder, tuna, chicken breasts and occasionally a veggie like broccoli on non-cheat days.

Johnny21: Thanks! After about June '05 I went into lazy mode and had other priorities than the gym unfortunately. I've been back into it since about May, so naturally I decided to come back to the boards and see what all's been going on. =)

mbj0186

Awards
I agree with DSADE in that strictly from a "physical" stanpoint, or appearance, I don't think it would really matter, or does it?

The body requires a lot of different micronutrients for efficient metabolism and to carry out normal physiological processes. Many vitamins and minerals, among other things, play a direct role in physical performance, which can in turn affect physical appearance.

Making up for deficiencies not obtained through the diet, which will occur if your eating the same foods over and over, with supplements is a good idea. However, the nutrients contained within foods, mainly fruits and vegetables, work in a synergistic fashion when taken in together. Synergistic meaning that the effects of combining certain nutrients is greater than the sum of their individual effects. Multi-vitamins are a great idea, but can in no way make up for the benefits of obtaining them through a varied diet.

Eating a wide variety of foods will definitely benefit you both in and out of the gym, and both physically and from a health standpoint. And, it would definitely be a GREAT idea to add fruits and vegetables in the mix. They provide many benefits other than vitamins and minerals. They contain fiber, are low in calories, and are packed with phytonutrients. Think about it from a long term health perspective and imagine what kind of effect it can have on your physical performance and physique in the short run.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Pro's: simplicity, consistency, easily measured, can prepare in bulk, food doesn't loose its nutrients so you get the same thing out of every single meal.

Cons: for me, I get sick of the same old dry nasty plain **** day after day, meal after meal. In response to this I dont look foreward to eating again, and therefore my appetite is suppressed. (not good). I like to keep macro-nutrients about the same, watch the GI and ingredients on things etc, eat lots of fruits and veggies, eat organic and natural things and vary it up. I eat what I'm in the mood for within reason and listen to my body. I'm not super ripped or anything but all i know is the chicken and oats thing just made me depressed about dieting and in a round about way slowed my metabolism down.....(again=not good). Variation also keeps the body guessing a bit. Everyday activities change and schedules change so very specific meal timing isn't always practical. walking down main street burns more calories than sitting on the couch all day for example.....this should be somewhat reflected in your calorie consumption.

I like to pick like 2-4 recipes that are easy to make and healthy and rotate them throughout the day. that way its almost as if you have a menu to choose from. You will eventually learn new foods\recipes etc and can use that as a form of variation.

Variation also helps to ensure a balance of a broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals as stated in previous posts