Carbohydrates after workout are useless?

G

GMOFREE

Awards
Carbohydrates after workout are useless?, should i take those Carbohydrates before im going to gym?

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Certainly not. I think its debateable whether it be fast acting carbs (dextrose,malto,WMS) or lower GI carbs like oats etc. I was taking in Waxy Maize Starch (60g) for a month or two immediately after my workout with some whey protein (45g) and it bloated me like hell. i've switched to oats and protein post workout and i feel much better. an hour later eat another meal of chicken,veg,rice etc.

N

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on your plan. High GI carbs = fast large insulin response. But you don't always want that.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
High GI carbs = fast large insulin response.
Insulin response will be proportional to the quantity of carbs. Smaller quantity, smaller response.

Carbs are fine most any time as long as you keep the serving size reasonable and try to stick to real food sources.

M

mbj0186

Awards
Whoah!! Carbohydrates after a workout should be your main priority!!

Working out depletes glycogen stores within specific muscles (weight lifting that is), and glycogen is the primary source of fuel for working muscles (except phosphocreatine, which is only for a few seconds). The most effective way to replenish glycogen stores is to consume a carbohydrate rich meal AFTER your workout. Your body will be in the catabolic state after exercising, and to see improvements, you have to replenish glycogen used for fuel during your exercise bout.

Consuming carbohydrates before exercise is ONLY beneficial if you consume them at minimum an hour or two in advance. Ideally, you would want to consume a complex carbohydrate rich meal 3-4 hours before your workout and consume mostly simple carbohydrates within 1 hour post-exercise. There's a "window" of opportunity that some speak about in which your body is highly responsive to the effects of insulin. Haha! Insulin! Insulin secretion is necessary in order for your muscles to take up glucose and store it as glycogen. However, exercising muscle has the ability to uptake glucose in a non-insulin dependent manner as well. But, post-exercise your muscles are actually not being contracted and are more responsive to insulin-mediated uptake of glucose.

In summary, consuming an ample amount of carbohydrates should be your main focus after exercise, with a little protein added to replenish metabolized amino acids and support muscle tissue synthesis. Where did you hear that carbohydrates are useless? I'm interested in knowing where exactly you received that information, and what it's based on.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Where did you hear that carbohydrates are useless? I'm interested in knowing where exactly you received that information, and what it's based on.
I'm guessing from keto fanatics.

C

C' Dale Rider13

Awards
I'm lost too, I don't work out till 10:00pm so by the time I finish lifting and doing 30 mins of cardio it's about 11:45-12:00 o'clock. I've been eating my last meal @ about 8:00pm and post work out has been 40 grams whey and 40-60 grams of waxy maize and I do see and feel fatter around the mid section and love handles. For the last week I been doing 40 grams of whey post work out with about 10 grams of EAA's and I'm not feeling as bloated and my pants are fitting looser. I guess I'm going to see if this works for me till the end of the month. I do trying to get in all my carbs by 6:00pm. Any suggestions? Also I do cardio 6 days a week low intensity for 30-40 mins. Protien intake is @ 230g,130-150c carbs and eating all my efa, fish and flax seed oil. I'm 6'2 222 pounds and trying to lean out.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm lost too, I don't work out till 10:00pm so by the time I finish lifting and doing 30 mins of cardio it's about 11:45-12:00 o'clock. I've been eating my last meal @ about 8:00pm and post work out has been 40 grams whey and 40-60 grams of waxy maize and I do see and feel fatter around the mid section and love handles. For the last week I been doing 40 grams of whey post work out with about 10 grams of EAA's and I'm not feeling as bloated and my pants are fitting looser. I guess I'm going to see if this works for me till the end of the month. I do trying to get in all my carbs by 6:00pm. Any suggestions? Also I do cardio 6 days a week low intensity for 30-40 mins. Protien intake is @ 230g,130-150c carbs and eating all my efa, fish and flax seed oil. I'm 6'2 222 pounds and trying to lean out.
What are your total daily calories (including efa's)?

Why are you cutting carbs off at 6pm if you are not working out till 10pm?

P

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think there is some confusion. I am guilty of falling into the overconsumption trap. I used to think that I had to pound down 75+g sugary carbs post workout with like 50+g protein. The truth is, if you eat a low GI carbohydrate meal prior to training (45mins -1hr prior) then after a workout you only need a little something to kickstart anabolism and prevent catabolism. I can relate to Australian Made because I used to feel very bloated and have a major hard time being hungry an hour later. Now I've limited my carbs PWO to about 65g and only about 25-30g protien, Im not bloated at all and 1-1.5hrs later Im ready for my whole food nutrient uptake again. (it all depends on your weight and LBM too, im about 215 so i have found my sweet spot between 50-65g carbs PWO). When people start consuming heavy slow digesting high calorie meals before a workout and then immediately after (or sugary carbs PWO), its no wonder they feel bloated.

I find I get the best out of my workouts (no bloat, great energy, good pumps) by having smaller liquid "snacks" pre and post workout, just to give my muscles exactly what they need until my next meal comes along.

I am doing 1 scoop whey following 16oz white grape juice. Seems to be working just fine for me. I tried the oats thing and i still felt bloated. I think its just too heavy after a a workout, liquids process faster and more efficiently in the digestive system. (regardless of GI...plus might as well get the sugars from fruit! couldn't be more natural and healthy.)

C

C' Dale Rider13

Awards
What's up Nitrox, been really busy and didn't have time to reply to your ? My total cals are 2700, I seem to be very carb sensitive. My pre-work out meal about 1 hour before I head to the gym is some egg whites or a can of tuna with a banana or some oats. It seems if I eat WMS taht late pre and post all it does for me is add extra meat to the lovehandles and gut. Ever since I cut out carbs after I work out I"m alot leaner. I do take in 50 grams of whey and about 5-8 ounces of white grape juice after I work out. So I didn't cut out carbs completely. Before I hit the sack I eat 1/2 cup of CC and a Handful of almonds with 3 flaxseed caps. Hope this helps. Any info on what I should take pre and post would be great. Thanks again.

What are your total daily calories (including efa's)?

Why are you cutting carbs off at 6pm if you are not working out till 10pm?

P

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have tried WMS, Oats, Dex\Malto, white bread, white potato, sugary oats, whey only, white grape juice etc. I have yet to find a carb source that doesnt bloat me like effing hell. I may just reduce the carb intake PWO and stick to liquid fruit juices for natural sugars. I also workout at night. I finish around 9:30 and have PWO meal. THen around 10:45 I eat a balanced meal (which I will be reducing the carbs for) and I have a shake in water before bed (12:00am). Like Nitrox said, I the quantity is what is causing the fat and water gains, not so much the source.

I

IainDaniel

Awards
I guess it would depend on goals.

on a significant cut there is a place for Protein's and Fats

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm really not a fan of processed carbs whether it is for PWO or any other time. The study that justified high GI carbs PWO used subjects that had fasted overnight and then did a workout. If they had not skipped breakfast they wouldn't have had a problem. Some of these studies are set up in such a way that they are almost trying to support something bogus. As always, have to read the fine print.

Also, Im not surprised that some people feel they are carb sensitive when they otherwise follow a lower carb diet throughout the day and then knock back a big hammer processed carb shake after their workout.

If you feel that you are carb sensitive, try eating a smaller amount of carbs in every meal. Start with something like a 33/33/33 ratio and stick with whole food fruits and starches. Tighten up the meal spacing around workouts. I've found that consistency helps a lot.

Edit - And as always, make sure overall calories are in check.

P

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm really not a fan of processed carbs whether it is for PWO or any other time. The study that justified high GI carbs PWO used subjects that had fasted overnight and then did a workout. If they had not skipped breakfast they wouldn't have had a problem. Some of these studies are set up in such a way that they are almost trying to support something bogus. As always, have to read the fine print.

Also, Im not surprised that some people feel they are carb sensitive when they otherwise follow a lower carb diet throughout the day and then knock back a big hammer processed carb shake after their workout.

If you feel that you are carb sensitive, try eating a smaller amount of carbs in every meal. Start with something like a 33/33/33 ratio and stick with whole food fruits and starches. Tighten up the meal spacing around workouts. I've found that consistency helps a lot.

Edit - And as always, make sure overall calories are in check.
I dont like processed carb sources either. I am going to try fruit and vegetable juices for pre and post workout shakes. Just enough carbs to fuel the workout and replenish the glycogen. (of course having protein with each of those shakes). I will keep my other meal spacings the same so that those pre and post w.o. meals are more of "snacks with a purpose" than another whole meal...

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
I am doing 1 scoop whey following 16oz white grape juice.
Doesn't that have quite a bit of high-fructose corn syrup in it? From studies that I have read HFCS breaks down almost as slow as fat. Just get some sucrose and take about 25-30g with your protein.

Dextrose is nice, but lets face it sucrose is a little easier to obtain on short notice.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Doesn't that have quite a bit of high-fructose corn syrup in it? From studies that I have read HFCS breaks down almost as slow as fat. Just get some sucrose and take about 25-30g with your protein.

Dextrose is nice, but lets face it sucrose is a little easier to obtain on short notice.
Grapes are one of the few fruits that have a higher dextrose (glucose) component. Also unsweetened juice will have zero corn syrup.

I think you are better off eating whole fruit vs drinking juice.

P

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Grapes are one of the few fruits that have a higher dextrose (glucose) component. Also unsweetened juice will have zero corn syrup.

I think you are better off eating whole fruit vs drinking juice.
I just figured that liquids would be easier on the digestive system pre and post workout.

N

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Fruit juice is acidic and buffered. Fruit contains fibre. Keep it natural.

P

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Fruit juice is acidic and buffered. Fruit contains fibre. Keep it natural.
Yea good point. I was hittin up the organic strawberry-banana puree's and V8 splash fruit and vegetable juices...I guess whole fruit is the best way to go.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
any kind of reconstituted juice, just doesnt cut it. If you like the juice idea, I think you can buy a decent juicer for under 100 bucks. I have Jack lalane's, it makes good juice.