Going to make a mash/scramble of ground turkey, broccoli, and oats (or potatoes)

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I'll admit, I got the idea from watching Rich Franklin on a UFC show a while ago. I went out and bought 1 lb of ground turkey and 1 bag of broccoli. It cost around $3 only. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this into a nice mash/scramble? I was first thinking of oats since that's what Rich mentioned, but I was thinking roasted red potatoes would be much tastier and more filling. I'll probably cook the potatoes somehow in olive oil for the healthy fats and calories. I could eat this 3 times a day for like $5 total. The 1lb of turkey alone is 75g of protein.

Ideas for cooking?
Ideas for spices?

I'm totally new to this kind of thing. I'd like around 650-750 calories a meal.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'll admit, I got the idea from watching Rich Franklin on a UFC show a while ago. I went out and bought 1 lb of ground turkey and 1 bag of broccoli. It cost around $3 only. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this into a nice mash/scramble? I was first thinking of oats since that's what Rich mentioned, but I was thinking roasted red potatoes would be much tastier and more filling. I'll probably cook the potatoes somehow in olive oil for the healthy fats and calories. I could eat this 3 times a day for like $5 total. The 1lb of turkey alone is 75g of protein.

Ideas for cooking?
Ideas for spices?

I'm totally new to this kind of thing. I'd like around 650-750 calories a meal.
1lb of ground turkey for $3???!? where do you shop?

anyway i like to just make smashed potatoes with a little milk and olive oil, mash\chop up the 1lb of ground turkey into a pan and let it all cook pretty thoroughly. then add the desired portion of potatoes ( I like to mix any combination of 1 or all: broccoli bits, peas, asparagus etc) into the potatoes and then mix with the turkey. add some seasonings (garlic, onion etc etc) and there ya go, should be delicious

(If using sweet potato's a hint of brown sugar never hurt anyone)

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
1lb of ground turkey for $3???!? where do you shop?

anyway i like to just make smashed potatoes with a little milk and olive oil, mash\chop up the 1lb of ground turkey into a pan and let it all cook pretty thoroughly. then add the desired portion of potatoes ( I like to mix any combination of 1 or all: broccoli bits, peas, asparagus etc) into the potatoes and then mix with the turkey. add some seasonings (garlic, onion etc etc) and there ya go, should be delicious

(If using sweet potato's a hint of brown sugar never hurt anyone)
thanks for the reply man. I'll have to try that out. Also, I don't think I was clear in my original post. I can get a frozen "tube" of ground turkey 1pound for $1.50. I also get a big back of broccoli for $1.50. So it was $3 total for the turkey and the broccoli.
As I got thinking though, I can actually get 4 pounds of frozen chicken breasts (boneless/skinless) for about $11. So it is more expensive but probably better for me. Maybe I'll make a combo platter:

ground turkey / chicken breast / broccoli (I like the idea of asparagus too) / red potatoes / olive oil.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I live in a dorm (IT SUCKS BTW!) but only for 2 or so more months. Anyway, recipes like this are a savior for me. what brand of turkey is it? im used to getting something like fresh Jennie-O ground turkey and thats not so cheap. I eat so effing much and I like to go natural and organic so that jacks the price...not that im cheap but being on a college budget isnt conducive to lots of grocery expenditures.