White potatoes

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
From what I've read, the difference in how your body reacts to white potatoes as opposed to sweet potatoes isn't that big of a difference unless you were contest dieting or something. What's you guys' opinion on using white potatoes instead of sweet?

I love cooking white potatoes in olive oil with some garlic and herb seasoning. Just goes a lot better with my meals than sweet potatoes.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I like them both. I won't eat 5 potato, but I do eat them.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
As a general rule, lower GI carbohydrates are what we try to consume, other than say for post workout...

Sweet potatoes are slightly lower in GI than white potatoes, but whenever we eat potatoes we always use some sort of a fatty topping that automatically lowers the GI of the meal. You even said u use olive oil, a healthy fat, and this will lower the GI of the potato.

Whatever floats your boat. Just have some healthy fats with either one (almond butter or pb with a sweet tater, or some olive oil on your white potato.

Rock on!

Jinx Me

Jinx Me

Awards
You could always precede the meal with a few caps of apple cider vinegar and then the difference would cease to be relevant, if it ever was.

Also, baby/small white potatoes are significantly lower in GI than the great big ones.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
You could always precede the meal with a few caps of apple cider vinegar and then the difference would cease to be relevant, if it ever was.

Also, baby/small white potatoes are significantly lower in GI than the great big ones.
That is an awesome piece of information there Jinx.