Jasmati Rice?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I picked some up at the market. Anyone ever eaten/currently eat this stuff?

Smiler51

Awards
Lol, is that a mixture of Basmati & Jasmin rice? I've never heard that before.

Both of these rice have a pretty high GI though. Wild or Brown rice is healthier.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i thought basmati was low GI...? ive tried that before. I like jasmine rice alot i think it is for sure high GI, like white rice but more aromatic and a lil more dry. Im a rice guy:D . jasmine and basmati could be really good.

Smiler51

Awards
I love both of them myself and will have them with many meals. I think I read it in some GI chart that both of them are pretty high.

Maybe anyone else can shed some light on it?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How good is your GI knowledge? Here we've got two kinds of rice — jasmine and basmati. They look the same but score very differently on the GI index. Do you know which is low GI and which one is high? The jasmine rice is very high — almost like eating pure sugar. But the basmati has more complex starches, which are hard to breakdown, making it low GI.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty sure Basmati is relatively low on the GI Index, but let me go look.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Basmati, organic and regular brown is low-moderate on the GI Index...about the same as Brown Rice.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There are many types of rice and quite a spread of GI values for them. Generally, the shorter the grain, the lower the GI. Also if it is unmilled (ie brown) the GI will also be lower. A long grain brown rice will be towards the lower extreme while a short grain white will be towards the upper extreme.

Just because rice is 'brown' does not mean that it is low GI. Short grain brown can be higher than white basmati.

You can find some values here http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm . Look under 'cereal grains'

Smiler51

Awards
That's great news. Time to stock up on the Basmati rice. I always thought that brown rice has a much lower GI. Thanks for the info!

bj22

Awards
I just picked up a box of brown basmati rice and am looking forward to trying it out this weekend for my carb up .